BEST suppressed pistol design?

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
I was thinking of making a simple but rugged, extremely effective suppressed pistol host or integral, something like a modern Welrod or VP9 offering. Is bolt action, straight pull, pump action or twist/pull/push action the best? Not looking for an auto loading design. Mag feed would be preferred. Is there an available or off the shelf design? KISS principle inspired. Can we could come up with a better design? Ideas?

Last edited:

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
To me, the simplest Welrod style "pistol" would be a SP5K or clone with a custom locking peice that would lock the breach, eliminating semi auto function. That would eliminate ejection port noise. The barrel is fixed with a magwell. A 15 round mag would be concealable. I have seen an SD version with a shorter SD style can which would be a more off the shelf solution, other than the locking peice. Or a custom can could be fabricated to replace the SD shroud location for greater volume using the standard barrel. A sling end cap with sling would give more support than just the shooter's hands. Does this cover what you are thinking of?

Scott

Deerhurst

Mag fed XP100? Kinda big though.

Some sort of breech locked pistol that can be run manually would fit the bill. How custom do you want to go? I'm thinking some form of bolt gun.

Slowmo

I have thought about this a number of times but never come up with any good ideas. It is too bad B&T won't sell the Station 6 pistol by itself, but the price would probably be ridiculous.

Something like a Howa mini bolt action is the smallest starting point I can think of other than possibly a single-shot break action.

I know various Berettas have been fit with levers that lock the action shut.

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
22, 380, 9, 45

I like the idea of a fixed barrel G19 size poly frame pistol, steel slide, where the serrations on the rear of the slide pivot/ squeeze in, unlocking the action, when charging the round.

Last edited:

Roaster72

UZI Talk Supporter
I can only think off my head about two magazine fed single shots.

Fiala pistols from the 20's were mag fed single shor 22s.

The LM4 Simmerling was a single shot mag fed 45. It wouldn't work probably because the slide goes forward to reload.

Both aren't great choices because Fialas are expensive and LM4s are stupid expensive.

Another choice would be to get a PWS or Volquartsen toggle action in 22. I am not certain if Volquartesen will sell a bare action. I shoot a Russian toggle rifle and the action is fantastic.

The slide lock above also looks cool.

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
I've seen the hush puppy project. Pretty cool. The Simmerling is wacky.

nklf

UZI Talk Life Member
Not mag fed, but I always thought a rotating breach like on the Magnum Research Lone Eagle would make a great suppressor host.

slimshady

22, 380, 9, 45

I like the idea of a fixed barrel G19 size poly frame pistol, steel slide, where the serrations on the rear of the slide pivot/ squeeze in, unlocking the action, when charging the round.

Just leave off the Nielson Device and go with a medium weight suppressor on a stock Glock. Manual repeater, no mods needed.

SecondAmend

A few years ago there was a novel where one of the characters used a silencer equipped Remington XP-100 bolt action pistol.

For a brief time, the Chinese issued the Type 64 (silenced pistol) that has a lockable breech. There's a Forgotten Weapons episode about it.

A "Mare's Leg" style lever action pistol could be fitted with a silencer similarly to what is done on lever action rifles. (I have a lever action .22 rifle with a quick disconnect mount attached silencer.)

MHO, YMMV, etc.

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
Just leave off the Nielson Device and go with a medium weight suppressor on a stock Glock. Manual repeater, no mods needed.
I thought about that for for the 19 and 21 by using a long heavy can. Even though the action does not cycle, gas still escapes out of the chamber and makes more noise.

Last edited:

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
I like the idea of an after market, non permanent widget that works on standard Glocks as a slide lock. Maybe something like a complete upper with bolt action, straight pull or twist and pull action could be designed. I really like the idea of a device, like back plate mounted gizmo can work as a simple economic slide lock, something like an Anti-Glock switch.

TSPC

UZI Talk Supporter
I like the idea of an after market, non permanent widget that works on standard Glocks as a slide lock. Maybe something like a complete upper with bolt action, straight pull or twist and pull action could be designed. I really like the idea of a device, like back plate mounted gizmo can work as a simple economic slide lock, something like an Anti-Glock switch.

Shockwave Technologies was considering it but nothing ever came of it.

Predator.jpg

K2

Hi All,

No magazine. Quiet. Accurate. Any caliber.

Thompson Center Contender pistol.

Enjoy,

K2

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
Dang I forgot about the Shockwave glock upper. That would have been something.

I think a better option would be a small, non permanent modification widget that could be cheap and user installed on a Glock..

Last edited:

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter