Eagle arms open bolt semi .45 no mark carbine’s advice

Riley

UZI Talk Life Member
I have acquired an Eagle Arms open bolt carbine that has been in a friends family since new. The sear spring was bent and had jammed the bolt. Straightening the spring allowed the bolt to hold open correctly and released the bolt on trigger pull. Upon resetting the bolt the sear spring now rests on top of the searand does not allow the bolt to reset. On I am not a grease gun expert by any stretch and would be very appreciative of parts lists, drawings etc for the eagle arms semi, also is there a source ror the fire control parts for these old timers?
Thank You

saxon

UZI Talk Supporter
do you have both springs? basically the same gun, the coil spring can be found at your local hardware store but cant remember the length and size right now

Riley

UZI Talk Life Member
Yes both springs are there, the small coil spring with loops on each end and the about .060 diameter torsion spring with two legs. The long leg of the torsion spring was bent back under the bolt when I got the gun and the coil spring fell out of the receiver on the first disassembly. I straightened the bent leg of the torsion spring and got the long leg under the (not sure of the correct name of the bolt catch) and put the coil spring where it seemed to go to keep tension on the bolt catch. At that point the bolt would hold open on cocking and release with a pull of the trigger, however the bolt would not hold open as the long leg of the torsion spring would no longer be under the bolt catch.

Riley

UZI Talk Life Member
The bolt would come back and jam against the spring requiring the gun to be disassembled to set things back in place. Was the eagle no mark considered to be semiautomatic or is it part of the questionable units? If it is questionable I would have no problem with turning it in to the ATF as I have several legally stamped pieces and do not want any bullsh_t like that in my world. Thankfully the Uzitalk forum has the folks that do know what is right.

Riley

UZI Talk Life Member
A guns international ad for a mark I Eagle seems to say that pre 82 guns are legal as semiautomatic but the post 86 guns are not. I would appreciate any advice on this topic as I am not looking to be illegal in any way. This item is clearly pre 68.

Riley

UZI Talk Life Member
Reading everything I can find it seems as if the gun is part of a gray area that would best be served by doing whatever is necessary to repair and enjoy it.

Riley

UZI Talk Life Member
The coil spring is much lighter than the spring in the video.

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
A guns international ad for a mark I Eagle seems to say that pre 82 guns are legal as semiautomatic but the post 86 guns are not. I would appreciate any advice on this topic as I am not looking to be illegal in any way. This item is clearly pre 68.

There should be a good number of these guns and to my knowledge only the spitfires were reclassified as MG’s. They were reclassified because you could manipulate the safety while firing and it would make it fire Auto.
There’s a lot of open bolt semis out there, from way back when and they’re completely legal (IMO).

Riley

UZI Talk Life Member
I went to the local ace hardware and bought a dorman 540359 tension spring, when installed the action resets properly. I will do a range visit and update the results. Apparently the disconnector spring was too weak and would not let the disconnector do its job quickly enough. Thanks for your help and access to your experience.

Riley

UZI Talk Life Member
Range report not positive, first round is as expected second round not reset properly. Seems as if the bolt is not moving back far enough when fired perhaps but working the bolt by hand no ammo it seems to work fine. The torsion spring long leg escapes from under the sear (bolt catch) when the gun is fired with live ammo. The disconnector may be the issue. Are there any parts available?

saxon

UZI Talk Supporter
can you take pictures of the Sear spring
(the long one that foes under the bolt catch as you call it)
or an over all of your fire control group and i will compare it to mine

Riley

UZI Talk Life Member
I will try to add pictures, I am a very analog guy

Attachments

• IMG_1053.jpeg
    IMG_1053.jpeg
    820 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1054.jpeg
    IMG_1054.jpeg
    723.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1052.jpeg
    IMG_1052.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1050.jpeg
    IMG_1050.jpeg
    143.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1049.jpeg
    IMG_1049.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 10

Riley

UZI Talk Life Member
Now that I have it so far apart it is clear someone took a file or dremel tool to the disconnector, I have no idea who, but the outcome was to make a semiautomatic rifle into a single shot that needs to be disassembled to reload.

Riley

UZI Talk Life Member
i would appreciate a good picture of a proper disconnector and I will tig and reshape the disconnector to work properly.

saxon

UZI Talk Supporter
what they look like

5TXNC6P.jpeg

trigger spring connects to sear spring

EUSvmsA.jpeg

how they look

FI4a2xF.jpeg

when you put it back together line up the upper and lower like so....

if you don't the sear can trip and release the catch and cause your single fire
after assembly
noQqcCN.jpeg
try to function test to make sure it resets

forgot trip picture will get it in a few

Riley

UZI Talk Life Member
I have a semi automatic open bolt with a very poorly modified part that makes the gun absolutely useless. I would like to have an etching of the disconnector so that I can recreate the proper part.

Riley

UZI Talk Life Member
I set the upper and lower as you showed it, the bolt worked fine for a non firing no ammo test, but as soon as I took it to the range and tried it with live ammo it jammed. When I disassembled it to figure out what was wrong I decided to go a good bit further. The disconnector which you would typically never need to get to seemed to be changed from the original profile. I either need to get a good etching of the original disconnector or break this into a parts gun.

saxon

UZI Talk Supporter
I have a semi automatic open bolt with a very poorly modified part that makes the gun absolutely useless. I would like to have an etching of the disconnector so that I can recreate the proper part.
I set the upper and lower as you showed it, the bolt worked fine for a non firing no ammo test, but as soon as I took it to the range and tried it with live ammo it jammed. When I disassembled it to figure out what was wrong I decided to go a good bit further. The disconnector which you would typically never need to get to seemed to be changed from the original profile. I either need to get a good etching of the original disconnector or break this into a parts gun.
20240421_211944[1].jpg20240421_211734[1].jpg two different disconnectors both work fine 20240421_211748[1].jpg20240421_211829[1].jpg sear and the shelf the disconnector catch's

when putting upper on lower bolt must be all the way forward, also getting pictures of all your internals would help to isolate what it might be
as your disconnector even if warn to much should not cause it to JAM single shot yes but should reset with finger off trigger....

again i feel that you have something else going on with your internals, bolt bolt spring ect

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter