Filing mags to fit the 76/760

SubGunFan

UZI Talk Life Member
There have been some questions concerning how (and how much) to file Suomi and Swedish K mags to fit the S&W 76 and MK 760. This might help......

SubGunFan

Attachments

• filed mags (group with text).jpg
    filed mags (group with text).jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 5,932

Brian Ski

UZI Talk Life Member
Thanks for posting... I had to go and pull a couple of my mags to see which ones you have... I see yours are Soumi mags... In the area you are taking metal away I have quite a lot of clearance in the Swedish K. That area in the K is a channel to keep the mags from torqueing sideways....

Is it a tight tolerance in the 76/760??? I never thought you would need to file it down in that area.(on the pad)

SubGunFan

UZI Talk Life Member
76/760 vs K mag fitting...

Brian:

First, I have never had the PLEASURE to handle a K. So I am only guessing here. Shooting a K is one of my little goals in life...

Yes, the front-to-back dimension of the mags is the key to fitting in a 76/760. I have heard some Suomi mags will fit in some 760s without filing.

The channel you refer to, is that channel on the back side of the magwell (since the mags have a raised section there)? Does your K have the removable magwell cover? If so, with the cover removed can you still insert & fire a stick mag (like the M31 Suomi)?

Please post some close up pictures of inside your K's magwell.

SubGunFan

Brian Ski

UZI Talk Life Member
Re: 76/760 vs K mag fitting...

SubGunFan said:
The channel you refer to, is that channel on the back side of the magwell (since the mags have a raised section there)? Does your K have the removable magwell cover? If so, with the cover removed can you still insert & fire a stick mag (like the M31 Suomi)?

More like the opposite... With the mag well in place you can use the original K mags or the Soumi stick mags... The plus is when you remove the well you can use the 50 round, coffin, Soumi mags and the Soumi drum mags... They take a little work to fit similiar to what you are doing for the 76/760 to accept the Soumi mags.

Lets see what the new camera can do... First one is with the mag well in place... Out of focus... But I am learning!!!!

Attachments

• k w mag well.jpg
    k w mag well.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 5,403

Brian Ski

UZI Talk Life Member
Actually you can fire the K without the mag well in place with any mag... I think the mag well adapter is needed for a speedier alignment and insertion of the stick mags. You can see with it removed how much extra clearance is gained... My tube had a very small cut out. Just enough for the mag to clear... I opened it up quite a bit for the drum mags to clear... I guess it all depended on how much metal the manufacter of the gun left in place... Now I can shoot the drums with very little modifying.

Attachments

• k wo mag well.jpg
    k wo mag well.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 5,383

az paul

UZI Talk Life Member
Thanks much for the post!! Did a couple this morning, carefully using a bench grinder.

chuckp

Brian,

Is that a C&R Swedish K or a Pearl gun, or ? The reason I ask is because it looks to be formed out of one piece. My ex-Swedish K was a Pearl gun and was one piece. I have only seen one K that was from a tube and a parts kit that was wonderfully blended to look like original.

Just thought I would ask.

Chuck

Brian Ski

UZI Talk Life Member
chuckp said:
Brian,

Is that a C&R Swedish K or a Pearl gun, or ? The reason I ask is because it looks to be formed out of one piece. My ex-Swedish K was a Pearl gun and was one piece. I have only seen one K that was from a tube and a parts kit that was wonderfully blended to look like original.

Just thought I would ask.

Chuck

Never followed the K's that close... I will have to take a second look at it.

BTW it is a Wilson tube gun... Also FWIW Wilson made 200 and Pearl made 50 from what I have been told.

Noah Zark

UZI Talk Life Member
FWIW, I found that the Suommi mags fit just fine in my S&W M76, and snap in with a positive latch and freely drop when the overall front-to-back measurement ranges between 1.650" and 1.658."

This is measured using a digital caliper with one jaw on the two pads at front and the other jaw on the center of the mag catch at the back.

the unaltered Suomi mags that I bought from CTD measure 1.668" to 1.679."

YMMV

Noah

skirmish

File and Fit Suomi Mags

You might try just filing down the top portion of the front pad first. I remove
a small portion from this small top pad and the suomi mags snap in like they were made for the gun with no other alterartion. Ive talked to other guys
who have done the same. Skirmish

StooperZero

SUomis fit my MK 760 Perfect. with only minor tweaking to the right side feed lip.

SHURESHOT

UZI Talk Supporter
StooperZero said:
SUomis fit my MK 760 Perfect. with only minor tweaking to the right side feed lip.
Nice mine will run them with no mods.

Chopper28

Does anyone know approx. how many orignal C&R Carl Gustav Swedish K's there are compared to the tube guns by Wilson, DLO, Pearl ect.? Thanks

SubGunFan

UZI Talk Life Member

True, the original Swedish Ks are C&R guns, BUT very few were registered prior to 1968 to allow them to be fully transferable SMGs. The ones registered between 1968 & 1986 are the pre-86 dealer samples.

askimball

FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Supporter,
Soumi / ?? Mags

Wow
Just found about a dozen Soumi mags ?? 32 rounders
They have a U shaped type swivel on the bottom front of the mag.....
They have on the bottom back __ a box w/a downward point w/L inside..
| L|
\ /

A square underneath the above w/SA inside and
a date code underneath the square box.....

Anybody recognize these..??
Doc :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :love :love

Chopper28

They are actually 36 round 9mm magazines, made for the Finnish Army, {that is what SA stands for} Made by the firm Laupa {Hence the L in the box, their trademark} They are quite excellent mags and can be had for about $9 each. Original Swedish mags have the Swedish Crown on them and no loops on the bottom. FWIW

billsail

UZI Talk Life Member
skirmish said:
You might try just filing down the top portion of the front pad first. I remove
a small portion from this small top pad and the suomi mags snap in like they were made for the gun with no other alterartion. Ive talked to other guys
who have done the same. Skirmish

Skirmish you were right on the money. Alittle work on the top pad with a file and the mags now snap in and drop free without a problem.

Thanks

Omega-Man

They are actually 36 round 9mm magazines, made for the Finnish Army, {that is what SA stands for} Made by the firm Laupa {Hence the L in the box, their trademark} They are quite excellent mags and can be had for about $9 each. Original Swedish mags have the Swedish Crown on them and no loops on the bottom. FWIW

Where is this $9.00 source ? Could use a dozen or so at that rate............

Thanks, Omega...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter