HK USP .40 compact

blueline541

UZI Talk Life Member
Just acquired a very nice used compact .40 with factory stainless slide and night sites. I originally planned to trade it off until I ran a couple hundred rounds through it yesterday. I was very pleased. It's a bit hefty but very well may become my next off-duty carry pistol.

captshiess

UZI Talk Supporter
I shot one in 9mm and I also didn't like it at all. I don't know what is the deal with HK pistols... they look cool, but I can't hit shit with them (that is probably my problem). I'd take a sig over an HK any day...

9mmsubgun-m11

UZI Talk Life Member
I too had an HK compact 40-hated it.Of all the HK pistols I currently own,my P9S 45acp is the best shooter.It shoots better than my 70 series Colt.Without question it is the best 45 I have ever shot.

blueline541

UZI Talk Life Member
Dang. I was going to take it shooting this morning, but might just trade it off for a semi Ruger now.

MarkV

hold on a minute, if you like it why would you care if someone else doesn't? if it works for you stick with it.

i happen to like the usp series... it fits me perfect; usp9c, usp9sd, usptactical.

did anyone else notice all three of the folks saying they hated the usp40c either have mac's in their sig or as an avatar? weird...

nutinauniversalshell

UZI Talk Supporter
Cant say on the 40, but had a two tone Compact USP 9mm--yup hated it. Couldnt hit well and it was just too damn big.

That being said, my friend has a HK Tactical 45 and while I wouldnt spend that kind of money for it--HUGE. It did shoot well.

Is there supposed to be something wrong with a MAC?

ptrthgr8

UZI Talk Life Member, , FFL/C&R
I've owned my USP Compact in 9mm for about a year now... maybe a little more. It's been my carry piece ever since the day I brought it home. If someone thinks the Compact is too big, I can only think they must have itty-bitty hands. Personally, I think it's ergonomically outstanding (fits my hands perfectly), is light enough and thin enough to be comfortable all day (IWB holster), the trigger pull is pretty nice (in both DA and SA), I've found it to be exceptionally accurate using Hydra-Shoks, and in my hands it's a natural pointer. It may not be a pistol that's going to win a national match any time soon, but it's not designed to be one, either. IMHO, it makes for an excellent carry piece.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

MarkV

ditto on the ergo/fit comments for the usp9c ptrthgr8... after 12 years of ownership it's still one of my favorites. later on i picked up the sd & tactical when looking for full sized bullet flingers; i liked the commonality of the usp. barehanded i like 'em with hogue sleeves, but they're a perfect fit with gloves. the checkering is a bit aggressive barehanded but that's perfect for gloves and the hogue’s will slip on/off easy enough. i do prefer the sd with the jet funnel when i've mounted a can since the 15rd mags don't have finger extensions.

i really don't understand folks' qualms with the price... the usp9c was $560 w/ 2 mags and hard case, the SD was $650 with 2 mags and soft case, and the tactical was $825 with 2 mags and soft case. considering a glock 26 is $500 + or - the usp9c was extremely well priced 12 years ago seeing as i walked out the door with a pistol and bianchi holster for $625 and change. i honestly don't know where you could find equivalent quality with factory threaded barrel & taller sights out of the bag with respect to the sd and tactical. i guess if you're not running a can it might seem pricey, but i considering i do occasionally; i felt they were extremely well priced.

i don't know if there's anything wrong with a mac, how about you (nutinauniversalshell) tell me if you think there's something wrong with a mac? it is what it is. i'm amused that me pointing out that the first three folks that vehemently did not like the usp40c all had something mac in their signatures as weird would appear to be saying something bad about the mac to someone. for some reason i have the image of yosemite sam getting puffed up and upset with bugs bunny in my head.

nutinauniversalshell

UZI Talk Supporter
only experience I have had with a mac is holding one. I know the complaints, but it seems like if you want a bullet hose it would be a good one. I have an interest in them and would like to get one at some point, but I get it if others dont.

Just like the HK. If you like it thats great for you, but for me it sucks. its no reflection on the owner, just a different fit and feel for each person.

isnt it something like "do what you like and like what you do."? I try.

blueline541

UZI Talk Life Member
MarkV said:
hold on a minute, if you like it why would you care if someone else doesn't? if it works for you stick with it.

I was kidding and had no intention of getting rid of the HK when I typed that.

But then I got rid of it a few days ago afterall. I swapped it out for a Sig 226 9mm which has been on "the List" for some time now. I always try to have a few guns around for trading and the HK came in from a trade and left the same way. And the 226 looks nice beside the 220.

captshiess

UZI Talk Supporter
I was originally going to say go with a Sig in my post, but I didn't want to start an opinion fight. Sigs are my favorite pistols and I hope you love your P226. I know I do!!!

jarhead jim

Range Brass Whore, UZI Talk Life Member,
Blueline,
In any of these ventures, are you allowed to try the weapon out for a while? If you like it, keep it. If for ANY reason you don't, keep trading till you get one you like. Personally, I LOVE the 1911 Springfield Armory A-1. Not a pretty gun, but the one I have is accurate as hell and dependable as hell. Some people don't like them cause they can't hit shit with them.......more than likely the shooter than the weapon, but just an assumption.

Jim

garandman

MarkV said:

i happen to like the usp series... it fits me perfect; usp9c, usp9sd, usptactical.

Very true. Make your own decision. If you like it, then great. All I'm doing is relaying my personal experience.

did anyone else notice all three of the folks saying they hated the usp40c either have mac's in their sig or as an avatar? weird...

And people wonder why HK's are called Eurotrash guns? :D Fact is, you do NOT have to spend $17,000 to get a match quality subgun. Makes me wonder why anyone would.

Ego? Low self-worth?

Or maybe they just didn't do their research. Maybe they're kicking themselves for dumping $17K into a gun that is less adaptable and no more accurate than a Lage Max-11 that costs less than a third of what they spent. Maybe they are pissed they can't afford ammo now, after grinding out $17K, or re-mortgaging their house.

:D

garandman

blueline541 said:
But then I got rid of it a few days ago afterall. I swapped it out for a Sig 226 9mm which has been on "the List" for some time now. I always try to have a few guns around for trading and the HK came in from a trade and left the same way. And the 226 looks nice beside the 220.

I had two 226's. LOVED them. Best fit for my hand, and shot far better than I did.

But they didn't really work for me for CCW and I found the XD series shoots better for me.

Your 226 is a great gun.

blueline541

UZI Talk Life Member
jarhead jim said:
Blueline,
In any of these ventures, are you allowed to try the weapon out for a while? If you like it, keep it. If for ANY reason you don't, keep trading till you get one you like. Personally, I LOVE the 1911 Springfield Armory A-1. Not a pretty gun, but the one I have is accurate as hell and dependable as hell. Some people don't like them cause they can't hit shit with them.......more than likely the shooter than the weapon, but just an assumption.

Jim

I bought a Springfield G.I. 1911 maybe two years ago and I really enjoy taking it to the range. I have an old beater nickel plated WWII Ithaca 1911 that is one of the best shooting pistols I own. And it makes the Springfield look like a Cadillac in comparison.

MarkV

garandman said:
And people wonder why HK's are called Eurotrash guns? :D Fact is, you do NOT have to spend $17,000 to get a match quality subgun. Makes me wonder why anyone would.

Ego? Low self-worth?

Or maybe they just didn't do their research. Maybe they're kicking themselves for dumping $17K into a gun that is less adaptable and no more accurate than a Lage Max-11 that costs less than a third of what they spent. Maybe they are pissed they can't afford ammo now, after grinding out $17K, or re-mortgaging their house.

:D

that's definitely one perspective, but you have to admit Lage is relatively new to the scene... before Lage there were a lot of frankenmacs and still are... Lage did a very good thing for Mac owners... if you can get one.

the MP-5 has it's merits and is just another tool in the toolbox, got no control over how folks will value an item in a free market. it'll cost what the market will bear. it's a very smooth purposeful firearm, albeit limited in configuration.

in the teeny tiny little world of competition c3, it's really sorta silly to justify anything as better or worse. i kind of liken it to jack daniels will get you drunk but the macallan is a more pleasant trip theory of life. skill and competency will trump tech in most all aspects of life. tech simply accentuates a basic foundation. in other aspects of life's hobbies i patiently listen to the euro trash statements all the time (i like european motorcycles). it's almost comically elitist in it's contempt of perceived elitism.

i stand by my comments about the "affordability" of hk firearms. if someone is willing to drop that much on a subgun i seriously doubt ammo is an issue for them much less ego the primary influence. i'd be willing to bet it's more of the fact they just can, rather than if they should. i'd have one of everything if i could, but i can't so i focus on what makes me happy.

garandman

MarkV said:
in the teeny tiny little world of competition c3, it's really sorta silly to justify anything as better or worse. i kind of liken it to jack daniels will get you drunk but the macallan is a more pleasant trip theory of life. skill and competency will trump tech in most all aspects of life. tech simply accentuates a basic foundation. in other aspects of life's hobbies i patiently listen to the euro trash statements all the time (i like european motorcycles). it's almost comically elitist in it's contempt of perceived elitism.

I spoze if I was pounding back some JD, I might be able to understand what yer saying here.

But I'm not, and I don't.

Other than YOU started the "perceived elitism" with the Mac comment - as if people who own them are low rent.

Frankly, I don't see ANY of us as low rent.

Anyway, enjoy your HK's - leaves more good guns fer me. :D

MarkV

uhhh garandman, just so i am absolutely clear; i never said anything was wrong with a mac nor was it even implied.

i only noted that the first three replies that did not like (or outright hated) the usp to a post saying the hk was okay, had mac's somewhere in their signature/avatar was kinda wierd. how in the world did you make the leap to low rent from that? you are sorely mistaken in your assumptions.

i later defended that the HK cost isn't out of line from anything else. for example; after you've bought your (insert glock,s&w,springfield,ruger,etc. here), added taller sights, and jarvis barrel you've spent the same as me buying the HK tactical. following the thread i just don't see why your feathers are ruffled. unlike you, i made no derogatory comments about any firearm discussed on this page. i can do without the keyboard swagger.

garandman said:
I spoze if I was pounding back some JD, I might be able to understand what yer saying here.

But I'm not, and I don't.

Other than YOU started the "perceived elitism" with the Mac comment - as if people who own them are low rent.

Frankly, I don't see ANY of us as low rent.

Anyway, enjoy your HK's - leaves more good guns fer me. :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter