M11/9 Lage .22 kit test

tomk

I went out over the weekend to test out the new to me Lage .22 kit for the M11/9. The Seller kindly clued me in to the McFadden loader. That is a great system for loading .22s! I read up everything that I could find on "how to" for the kit. So...I loaded up several different mags with different ammo and headed to the range.
The first selection was with some old Remington Viper ammo (kind of a conical bullet shape). I was expecting issues due to the bullet shape. Nope. It ran perfectly in bursts and mag dumps. Very fun.
Then I tried some 40 grain Federal from a little 325 round milk carton (Auto Match?). No joy with that one. Did not like it at all. Maybe a mag issue? Will need to mix up mags and try again.
Next was a mag of Stingers. Same thing - no joy.
So...I went back and loaded mag after mag of the Viper. All good every time. Then I got brave and decided to try an old Coastal can with the set up. First burst and the gun jammed. I took everything apart and managed to free the OOB .22 brass remnants. Barrel was clear.
I looked closer and noticed no extractor. Found it on the shooting bench. Spring was still there, but the extractor retainer was AWOL.
I guess that I'll stock up on Ruger extractor kits while I'm testing things out. I was extremely pleased with how it ran when it was happy. I'll keep trying new ammo and replacing extractors until I find some ammo that works with a can. Or I'll just shoot it un-suppressed and have fun. 20240325_160508.jpg

woodenword

UZI Talk Supporter
Mine works best with the Remington Golden Bullet and Winchester M-22. It’s one of the favorite setups at family shoots. While I have had a OBD, I’ve never had an extractor blow out.

skoda

UZI Talk Life Member
Mine only runs well with a suppressor or a muzzle compensator.

I tried Remington Viper but it wouldn't run at all. It was the worst by far for mine so I'm surprised that it works so well for you.

Mine runs best with Remington Golden.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
I use CCI subs they cycle all my 22lr guns suppressed or not.

The CCI quiet-22 will not cycle any of my semi's or FA 22 upper.

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
I’ve got over 30k rounds through my Lage kit. I’ve got no idea how it’s still running great. My kit runs suppressed or not without a hitch.

That being said, my experience with post Covid 22 ammo, is not was it was pre Covid.
Auto match used to be pretty good and it’s trash now. Golden bullets are recommended in the manual but I’d never buy them. I’d find what works in your gun and keep that ammo.

I think the springs in the mags are on the weaker side, especially over time. I’ve used a DD stray and cut about 3/4 of an inch section of the straw and put it at the base of the straw. It increases the spring pressure just enough. There’s a fine line with too much pressure and not enough pressure.

Rim lock is another problem but with the LGL, it’s not really an issue.

prdubi

I want to know if anyone will ever clone it or make it again someday.
I have an m11 Sten conversion and I know I'm late to the party but a .22 upper would be kinda cool someday.

Slowmo

Practical Solutions is making a .22 upper for the M10. I believe it will come out this year.

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
I want to know if anyone will ever clone it or make it again someday.
I have an m11 Sten conversion and I know I'm late to the party but a .22 upper would be kinda cool someday.
Lage actually made kits for Sten converted M11/9’s.

SecondAmend

Practical Solutions is making a .22 upper for the M10. I believe it will come out this year.
I'm somewhat disappointed that they decided to go with what they decided on instead of a reincarnation of the Fleming .22 uppers. So I bought a used Fleming upper, tweaked a few 10/22 mags, and that's pretty much all I use the M11-380 gun for anymore.
MHO, YMMV, etc.

Slowmo

I'm somewhat disappointed that they decided to go with what they decided on instead of a reincarnation of the Fleming .22 uppers. So I bought a used Fleming upper, tweaked a few 10/22 mags, and that's pretty much all I use the M11-380 gun for anymore.
MHO, YMMV, etc.
I like the Fleming setup, too, but don’t have a particularly strong preference. I almost never shoot .22 but will get one of the kits for my kids. I thought there was talk about making an American 180-style MAC upper. Not sure what happened with that.

StephenDS

I tested out mine this weekend using a us machine gun side cocking upper w the Lage kit. Anything high power it ran almost flawless. I tried about 6 different kinds of ammo. I think I’ll stick w mini mags since they seem to run the cleanest. I’m using a 30 cal form 1 suppressor since I’m not threading onto the 22 barrel.

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
I thought there was talk about making an American 180-style MAC upper. Not sure what happened with that.

I think this is what you are looking for.

Scott

SecondAmend

Mini mags work best for me.
I've been gradually shooting up all the CCI MiniMag .22LR ammo and transitioning to CCI AR Tactical .22LR ammo. The projectile profile of the AR Tactical seems to provide more reliable feeding (with a slightly higher rate of fire).
MHO,YMMV, etc.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter