Police use only marked magazines?

RICHARDB

It seems Ruger is only making 20 round magazines for the mini 14/ac556 marked for police use only.A brochure from Davidsons even says to be sold to police only. Is this only because of rugers long time opinion that the public only needs 10 round magazines? I dont see what federal law one would be breaking by using these.I guess some states and cities/counties might have their own ban on high cap. magz. The markings seem only to be politically correct. What am I missing?
RichardB

prebans

FFL/SOT, Distinction Arms, UZI Talk Life Member,
Legally speaking, they can be sold to anybody barring state/local laws to the contrary.

Ruger has an internal company policy against selling those magazines to civilians. However, that may be changing in the future.

Mike

garandman

My local dealer has teh 20's for sale to anyone for $52 ea.

I'd rather pay $100 for one 30rd than $50 for a 20 rd.

po

UZI Talk Supporter
Ruger has recently listed an NRA Commemorative type Mini-14 or Ranch Rifle. It's a logoed rifle of some sort anyway. It comes with a 20 round mag. I wonder if this means they are easing up on the policy?

-- po

MrM4

FFL 07/02, UZI Talk Life Member,
Wow I had no idea the old "preban" factory 30s are worth so much maybe I should sell the ones I got left.

garandman

MrM4 said:
Wow I had no idea the old "preban" factory 30s are worth so much maybe I should sell the ones I got left.

IM me if you decide to.

I don't mind paying a premium to make sure BIll Rugers little scheme with Clinton gets foiled.

SubGunFan

UZI Talk Life Member
Do 20 & 30rd Ruger Mini-14 mags have "Ruger" stamped on them? I have 3-30s and 1-20 that came with a Mini-14 I bought a few months ago.

My Mini-14 is the earlier 180 series with M-14 style front sight and flash suppressor, and wood handguard above the barrel. The gun is very good (not excellent) condition. What is the market value of my Mini-14....?

Thanks

JasonAC556

UZI Talk Life Member
Do 20 & 30rd Ruger Mini-14 mags have "Ruger" stamped on them?

The floorplates are marked with the Ruger Phoenix symbol and "Ruger Mini 14." The sides of the 30's have "Ruger" roll-marked on them if they are made before the AWB of 94. They have the "For Gov. or LEO" stamp on them if made after 94. The 20's have no markings on the side unless they were made after 94, then they have the "LEO" stamp on them as well.

My Mini-14 is the earlier 180 series with M-14 style front sight and flash suppressor, and wood handguard above the barrel.

That is not an original factory configuration. Ruger did not use M14 style flash suppressors on any series Mini 14. The correct front sight is a simple blade type unless it is a GB rifle. They have a bird cage flash suppressor with a bayonet lug/front sight mounted about mid way between the flash suppressor and gas block. The wood handguard is correct for the 180 series.

What is the market value of my Mini-14....?

About $400 for an average condition shooter.

SubGunFan

UZI Talk Life Member
Thanks for the info. Yes, the M-14 front sight assembly is aftermarket. I paid $375 so I now feel good about the price. Oh, the mags I got with it appear to be aftermarket mags.....

JasonAC556

UZI Talk Life Member
SubGunFan said:
Thanks for the info. Yes, the M-14 front sight assembly is aftermarket. I paid $375 so I now feel good about the price. Oh, the mags I got with it appear to be aftermarket mags.....

$375???:allright

I'd say you did very good. $400 would be just for the rifle. The flash suppressor and the mags would bring it up to $450 easily.

As for the mags....as long as they feed....:banana

CIB

UZI Talk Supporter
Larry from C-Products confirmed 30 rd. SS mags for the Mini-14/AC556 will be produced this year.

garandman

CIB said:
Larry from C-Products confirmed 30 rd. SS mags for the Mini-14/AC556 will be produced this year.

:allright

God bless the free enterprise system.

prebans

FWIW, I've been told that Mini-14 PMI brand mags work pretty well but to avoid any other aftermarket mags.

Mike

booger hooker

I've had great luck with my Thermolds and even a number of my stainless USA mags that I bought back in '95 as far as aftermarket mags go. I understand that the USA mags are purely hit or miss when it comes to working in your gun but most people have great luck with the Thermolds.

prebans

booger hooker said:
I've had great luck with my Thermolds and even a number of my stainless USA mags that I bought back in '95 as far as aftermarket mags go. I understand that the USA mags are purely hit or miss when it comes to working in your gun but most people have great luck with the Thermolds.

Huh. Thank you!

Will have to seek out some Thermolds,

Mike

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter