Registered sear breakage?

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Your post reaffirms my belief in not shooting reloaded rounds through a transferable mamachinegun.
My transferable SMGs are fed almost 100% my reloads. I use the Dillon powder check die and never had a double. I won't shoot anyone else's reloads except for maybe a few close friends that I know their setup.

As Chili17 mentioned in another thread factory ammo isn't perfect either and to his point, I've seen way more kabooms with factory than reloads from myself and my friends.

MontanaRenegade86

UZI Talk Supporter
My transferable SMGs are fed almost 100% my reloads. I use the Dillon powder check die and never had a double. I won't shoot anyone else's reloads except for maybe a few close friends that I know their setup.

As Chili17 mentioned in another thread factory ammo isn't perfect either and to his point, I've seen way more kabooms with factory than reloads from myself and my friends.
I've had mixed results with reloads.

A close friend of my dad's reloaded about 1,000 .22 Hornet cartridges for me. It is top quality ammunition that shoots better than Hornady. The gophers don't seem to be too impressed, though. :D

An associate of mine made up some .38 Special reloads for my mom's S&W. Those cartidges refused to fire at all.

I absolutely agree that it's all about the setup and the person doing the reloading. The first guy did it all right, the second did it all wrong. I tried to get into reloading myself, but I lack the space to do it right.

Samuel_Hoggson

I absolutely agree that it's all about the setup and the person doing the reloading.

Tho I don't load 9 anymore for reasons stated in other threads, know many do and have the discipline to make safe ammo.

Hard rule: I never allow anyone else's reloads in my MGs. Use reloads, including those from people I trust, in rifle/pistol/shotgun Title 1s.

Given many newbies free rides on them, but always my factory ammo. No exceptions. Several fairly obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Chisel

They do request and when I did a Form 1 about a year ago it was optional for me. The request is so if the info you give them on the form doesn’t seem right they can refer to the markings, at least what I heard. They of course will still send it back but they at least can point out via your picture what info needs to go where.

I had heard the amnesty SBR thing required photos, likely to make it easier to prove you weren’t getting a free stamp out of them.

Just wanted to clarify on the Amnesty registered SBRs. They didn’t require photos of the gun and I had 10 amnesty SBRs approved without them.

Dirk Hawthorne

Aside from 223 and some 9mm, I never shoot anything but reloads.

I double check the powder measure with a powder scale

I only use published load data from a reliable source

And I have a little reading light on my press that I use to visually look at the powder level in every case before I set the bullet on top.

Also, I try to use bulky powder that fills more than half the case, so a double charge will literally spill all over. And the sensitivity to the variation of charge from the powder measure is reduced.

If you have an automatic press and you peep at every powder charge as you're going, I don't see how you could screw it up.

Unless you misread the charge weight for your round, but the manuals are very clear, for X caliber and Y powder and Z bullet, you are told a max charge of 5.2 grains or whatever. It's not rocket surgery.

Being careful can greatly reduce the risk of any activity.

One time my brother came over to use my table saw, and he was walking around the shop with the saw running. I told him that was a good way to get do-it-yourself brain surgery and that if he wanted to use the saw he needed to shut it down between cuts. He got all huffy and left, because he's a sore head, but later he apologized and admitted that he was being a dumbass.

What I'm trying to say is, your chances of stumbling onto a running sawblade drop to zero if the saw isn't running. Etc.

Dirk Hawthorne

one of the things that screws up safety statistics is the fact that people routinely refuse to follow safety rules.

I work in heavy construction and probably 95% of the accidents, of which there are many, come from people cutting corners.

for example, JFK Jr. and his wife and sister in law are all counted as "private pilot deaths", but he literally committed "moron-cide."

He flew out over the ocean in sketchy weather, at nighttime, without an instrument rating. And he was kind a meathead, he was not a bright guy.
When he experienced fatal spatial disorientation and nosed his plane into the water at 300 mph, why does that get attributed to the sport of private flying? He didn't die of flying. The wings didn't come off the plane. The motor didn't quit. He literally died of arrogance and foolhardiness.

If someone with a 90 IQ reloads ammo in a foolish manner and none of the rounds will even fire, or one blows up the gun, that should not count against the safety of reloading.

That being said, I would never buy commercial reloads. Because I have no control over the reloading process.

And I would never shoot reloads where the powder charge wasn't being checked for each round. I used to use a powder checker die, but I never looked at the thing, just kept visually checking the load in the case, so I stopped using it.

Reactions: K2

sonvolt

Well, I've decided to keep the UZI for a couple more years or so. I've decided to have Dan Block make a walnut buttstock to replace the one he made for me back in 2007, which got stolen a few years ago along with some guns (thankfully, not the UZI, which was in a safe deposit box.)

It's not going to degrade any under my watch, and will only continue to appreciate in value, so I'll just hold onto it for now. Someday I'll return it to the NFA marketplace for someone else to enjoy, but not today.

Screen Shot 2024-03-24 at 4.20.17 PM.png

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
Were Vector Mini RRs cut up and rewelded? Would being cut up and rewelded make it less repairable?
I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about rewelded receivers on a Vector Mini UZI. I've never heard of a failure on the side welds of the Mini UZi receiver. Trunnion welds and back plate welds do fail occasionally on any gun (including the full size UZI), but the receiver side welds just aren't an issue. If the one in a million thing happened, it could be repaired.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter