Serial number prefix question

ironriver

Does anyone know what the SO serial number prefix represents ? My FNC is SO124xx. I believe it was one of the 16 inch models without "sporter" on the receiver. Was chopped down to 14" with an SH sear. Thanks.. I cant seem to find any info online (as appears to be in the case with these boom sticks). I am thinking it was a police semi that was imported but not 100% sure. Anyway best Assault Rifle there is IMO. Thanks for any insight
Jake

paco

I have never seen FNC's starting with "S" or "SO". Sure it is not a zero?

All FNC is saw (in Belgium) have just a serial, or FN prefix or ABL prefix.

Paco

navgunner

UZI Talk Life Member
Does anyone know what the SO serial number prefix represents ? My FNC is SO124xx. I believe it was one of the 16 inch models without "sporter" on the receiver. Was chopped down to 14" with an SH sear. Thanks.. I cant seem to find any info online (as appears to be in the case with these boom sticks). I am thinking it was a police semi that was imported but not 100% sure. Anyway best Assault Rifle there is IMO. Thanks for any insight
Jake
Are you willing to post a picture of the serial number (blackout everything except for the first bit)?

dash

Since it started as a 16", it's gotta be Howco marked. Over the decades, I keep hearing these were for a law enforcement order. Maybe SO stands for special order? My 2 are Howco's and SO prefix serials.
They did have the shorter barrel and different flash hider. The sporter marked versions have FN xxxxxx as the serial.

Pic in the link to an auction - https://auctions.morphyauctions.com...BRIQUE_NATIONALE_FNC_HOST_GUN_-LOT496177.aspx

Last edited:

paco

Those serials are not the original FN serials in my opinion. Yes maybe a special order or so but for sure not the normal way for FN to do.
You see the paint chipping of on all the engravings that are done later. Same for the "Gun south" engraving, is not FN style.
I have seen the original FN plans for the engraving of the "Howco and Laurel". Those are OK to me.
The swivel at the left side in the middle is also odd. Looks like a FAL PARA swivel?
The flash hider is the standard type. Shoul be the shorty type...

Paco

dash

That would be correct for the Howco marked FNC. What's strange is that standard 18" FNC's had serials on the upper. At one time, the ATF considered the lower as the firearm, then changed it to the upper. As talked about before in this forum, one could conceivably buy an upper with no serial and have a lower with no serial...A big no no if put together.

Last edited:

CAR

I purchased a Howco 16" FNC Para back in the mid 1980's. The serial began with an "S" and was only on the lower.

Strangely enough, I too, removed the short FNC flash suppressor from my rifle and installed the FN FAL combo device like the one in the Morphy auction.

I heard a story that the Howco FNCs were originally imported for police sales which never materialized and so were eventually sold on the commercial market.

dubagel

Back in the 80’s, I had a friend who was an FFL in South Florida dealing in class 3 stuff, like it was a Miami Vice episode. He was looking at my FN FNC 18” para and mentioned the Howco FNC’s had a short flash hider came in for a New Jersey LE agency and the deal didn’t go through. The short flash hider was so that the rifle could not launch grenades. Which a police rifle launching grenades was sort of a public relations issue for some back then. I believe they also had a slightly different shaped selector lever as well.

sweersa

That would be correct for the Howco marked FNC. What's strange is that standard 18" FNC's had serials on the upper. At one time, the ATF considered the lower as the firearm, then changed it to the upper. As talked about before in this forum, one could conceivably buy an upper with no serial and have a lower with no serial...A big no no if put together.
Out of curiosity, what law would be broken by assembling an unserialized lower with an unserialized upper, assuming both were acquired legally?

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter