Suomi Drum / M11 (RO) Conversion

attherange

UZI Talk Supporter
Clay5769,
I have not used these before. Although, I have considered them when I was doing my first build. You must keep in mind, when using these as you intend that: 1. are they sime dia. as a standard round - (you need to use spacers in between the rounds to +/- the correct stack height.) 2. are they going to be durable enough to with stand constant pressure of feeding. 3. will the rounds stand up to the wire feeder line that will bind the stack.
Good luck, Greg

clay5769

Hello
I'm sure it was hit upon some place in the post.

But is there a reason for the angle of the magazine to the drum??

I'm doing a drum for a Sterling Carbine and a PPS 43 as far as anyone knows.. Would I need the 70 degree angle for mine..
On the PPS that factory mag has a slight curve to it..
on the sterling it straight into the side of the weapon..

Thanks
Clayton

medphys

UZI Talk Life Member
clay5769 said:
Hello
I'm sure it was hit upon some place in the post.

But is there a reason for the angle of the magazine to the drum??

I'm doing a drum for a Sterling Carbine and a PPS 43 as far as anyone knows.. Would I need the 70 degree angle for mine..
On the PPS that factory mag has a slight curve to it..
on the sterling it straight into the side of the weapon..

Thanks
Clayton

The theory behind tilting the tower forward is that it helps keep the nose of the round pointed up and keeps the rounds held up against the feed lips better. All of this to help the rounds feed into the chamber and not get caught nose down in the tower.

The side to side tilt is to reduce the friction caused from the rounds transitioning from the drum to the tower. Instead of making a hard turn from the drum to the tower, there is minimal change in direction so the transition causes much less friction.

As has been stated before, some drums run successfully without the compound angles, but it's up to you to try it. If it doesn't work, all you need to do is start over ;)

Also, if you are building one for a semi-auto, you may not need to worry about the angles so much as the rounds don't need to keep up with the speed of a full-auto. Again though, if it doesn't work, all you need to do is start over ;)

attherange

UZI Talk Supporter
Feeding is an issue with the tower constructed straight. I had to use flexiable tabs on the inner walls in order to keep the rounds to feed.

Last edited:

clay5769

Hi
Ok I see now I didn't understand what you were talking about until I pulled the cover off the drum..:banana

Then I seen how the feed in the drum curves around and it comes out on an angle..
Thanks

clay5769

I was looking and with the that being the case it works out better for me..

On the Sterling and the Colefire both magazines load from the side
I was looking at the drum I can angle the drum so it actually goes in straight.. For the PPS 43 I will have the same issues you guys had..

waddejp

New to the site but have been trolling for a while. I noticed a couple guys were making then selling them. I'm not a welder and have just moved so need to find more friends with shops. Was wondering if anybody could make me a double and/or single if I provide donor mags and whatever else ya need? Pony kegs for drum mags?!?!:lol

waddejp

strobro32 said:
You won't want the double drum. Something better is coming.

I love watching you guys tinker, too bad I went the way of electronics. I can solder like a champ :flame . Noticed some of ya'll are GA guys. Let me know if there is any big Mac or subgun shoots coming up, I would love to have some of those who have been around them longer to throw me some pointers.

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
Unfortunately I am not a manufacturer. On the + side, I'm never stingy with what I learn.

I was hoping to unveil a few things at UT8 but I guess it will have to wait until summer.

mikillium

Fuck yeahhhhh,,I'm in on this build!!!

Had to join the fun also!!!!! Just finished the build, seems rounds are feeding smooth although they are pretty hard to strip by hand! I only pre wound 3 turns befor I put arm on! time for test fire number 1 in the morning!

anm2_man

UZI Talk Supporter
After watching this thread for a long time, I too got the bug to build one of these drums for my S&W76. Here is a pic of the drum:

Drum_2a.jpg

There have been ups and downs, but my last test firing looks promising. I still had a couple FTF's but overall the drum functioned quite well.

Here is the first video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN5JQRR9L9Q

And a Slow motion of the action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ubVBSwunKc

Both runs had a FTF, but overall it ran really good. But now I have something else to figure out, the drum only runs on factory ammo. I tried some of my reloads and they wouldn't feed at all. Now I need to find out why.

Again, thanks for putting this thread together, it really helped me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter