Uzi Extractor

Hiller

“ From manufacturer:

We use those (45acp)extractors for ALL the calibers. We fit every extractor to the bolt. The standoff gets shortened for smaller case heads. I’ll include pictures. There are a few other things we tweak depending on configuration while tuning ejection. S/A and F/A will be slightly different because most full auto are set up to slam fire; S/A is clipped to the case head while in battery.

Hopefully this clarifies.

Because of the tuning process for the extractors we do not make 9mm specific extractors any more. Too many headaches. Although for the regular user I don’t think I have ever installed one of these extractors in a 9mm and not had it work without modification. Its kind of like fitting a 1911 extractor”

Anyone familiar with what manufacturer is saying this or where this quote comes from?

R/s, Hiller………..

Slowmo

Might help if you noted where you read this. I have a guess where it came from though . . .

Hiller

Might help if you noted where you read this. I have a guess where it came from though . . .
Sent to me from a gunbroker seller advertising 9mm extractors.
Turns out he’s trying to pass off unmodified 45acp marked extractors as 9mm extractors.

Hiller…………..

Slowmo

Sent to me from a gunbroker seller advertising 9mm extractors.
Turns out he’s trying to pass off unmodified 45acp marked extractors as 9mm extractors.

Hiller…………..
I have gotten similar messages from a seller on Gunbroker, but the seller I spoke to is the current owner of Vector, so what he said very well may have been true (at least for Vector-manufactured Uzis). Very nice guy if it is the same seller I am thinking of. I’ve also heard of people successfully using .45 extractors in 9mm guns, so it likely would do the job for you.

Hiller

45 extractors can be machined down to function with 9mm. It’s always nice to get the correct part and not have to Goldberg it though.

Hiller…………

ktk120

pretty sure there has not been a 9mm extractor made in 30+years. Supposedly this is because once IMI realized the 45 work the same there was no need.

That said I have 2 of the 45 labeled IMI and I cannot get them to work and I cannot figure out how to make them work in my bolts and would like to find someone I can send them to get it right for me so that I have backups

Hiller

pretty sure there has not been a 9mm extractor made in 30+years. Supposedly this is because once IMI realized the 45 work the same there was no need.

That said I have 2 of the 45 labeled IMI and I cannot get them to work and I cannot figure out how to make them work in my bolts and would like to find someone I can send them to get it right for me so that I have backups
The step is to big and has to be machined down. Bench grind or dremel should work. As long as you have a 9mm extractor to measure/examine. Then take your time, don't overheat thepart and make the step on the 45 the same as the 9. Should be GTG.

Hiller...........................

ktk120

The step is to big and has to be machined down. Bench grind or dremel should work. As long as you have a 9mm extractor to measure/examine. Then take your time, don't overheat thepart and make the step on the 45 the same as the 9. Should be GTG.

Hiller...........................
do you have any pictures of the difference or can you possibly message me or text me some pictures. I am not sure of what you mean by the shelf.

Hiller

If you look at the picture the step is the hump below the claw. On the 45 extractor the step is bigger to hold the claw farther away from the center line of the bolt. This is to accommodate the larger diameter of the 45 case. The 45 extractor step has to be taken down a bit so the claw can grab the smaller 9mm rim. Not ideal. But should work ok if no 9mm extractors are available.

R/s, Hiller…………

Attachments

• 79C9A52E-0AC3-4D70-9D4C-811BB7DC7F47.jpeg
    79C9A52E-0AC3-4D70-9D4C-811BB7DC7F47.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 45

root

UZI Talk Supporter
See my post in the other extractor thread.

20 years now with a 45 aarp extractor on a BXC modded 9mm/10mm/40S&W bolt
No issues.

It's a IMI semi gun.

Hiller

Thank you Hiller. I will take a little off and retry it
You can use a fired, deprimed 9mm case as a gauge. The extractor needs to grab the rim of the case. Leave your 9mm extractor in the bolt and look at how it grabs the rim. Then “adjust” the 45 extractor until it grabs the 9mm case the same as your 9mm extractor does.

Hiller……………

Dirk Hawthorne

Has anyone actually tried sticking a 45 extractor in a 9mm SMG and to see if it works or not?

I just measured a 9mm extractor and it was 0.156 inches measured through the body at the highest point of the bump.

Untitled.png

Maybe someone else can check theirs and verify.

ktk120

Who knows? Maybe a 45 extractor works great for 9mm?
Like i posted earlier apparently IMI has not made a 9mm extractor in 30 years, I heard at least that the 45 is supposed to be plug and play but in my case that has not proved to be true. As far as I know there is no source at all for 9mm only 45

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Has anyone actually tried sticking a 45 extractor in a 9mm SMG and to see if it works or not?

I just measured a 9mm extractor and it was 0.156 inches measured through the body at the highest point of the bump.

View attachment 39834

Maybe someone else can check theirs and verify.

That picture is from my website here: https://c3junkie.com/?page_id=457
I took that picture like 15+ years ago.

If you click on that link to my website above, I already did what you asked like 15+ years ago as well.
"If you install a .45 caliber extractor in a 9mm bolt, it will not sufficiently grab the case like a 9mm extractor would. The pictures below show a 45 extractor in a 9mm bolt on the left and a 9mm extractor in a 9mm bolt on the right."
45in9mmbolt.jpg

Picture above is IMI 45 extractor in an IMI 9mm open bolt.
I remember I think 15+ years ago on these forums most people didn't even know there was a difference and that is why I took all those pictures. The reason why the discussions even came up back then was people were having reliability issues and one of the things to check was if you had a .45 extractor installed in your 9mm bolt.
Remember that a common problem running a 9mm extractor in a 9mm bolt is getting it so fouled up in the extractor hole that the extractor doesn't get close enough to the case like ....uhhh exactly what happens to running a .45 extractor in a 9mm bolt above.
Will it work? Depends. How hot is your ammo? Spring rate. Suppressed? Closed bolt vs open bolt? I think it is clear to see the extractor grab the case in the stock form without grinding down on the bump some.

Picture below again from my website shows what a 9mm extractor looks like in an IMI 9mm open bolt.
9mmin9mmbolt.jpg

Last edited:

Dirk Hawthorne

well, it certainly doesn't look like it would work that great

I'm tempted to try it on my vector smg, but I want to sell my 45 extractors and I want to be able to truthfully say that they are unused.

I have 3 of the little fellers

ktk120

What is sounds like is we need someone to do a run of 9mm extractors. I have owned my SMG for 6 years and have never once in that time seen a genuine 9mm extractor come up for sale

root

UZI Talk Supporter
Has anyone bothered to just pull one out of a parts kit bolt?

I have 4 or 5 kits with the white inspection paint meaning they were NOS when torched.

Most kits even used that I have seen had more handling marks then shooting wear.

Would seem the best & easiest way to get a extractor and not be all hung up on what's what & over thinking things.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter