Uzi top cover ratcheted vs non ratcheted

UZIUPONTHAT

I just purchased my first Group Industries Vector UZI. I need to understand the above. Also, the seller that sold me the UZI said mine was one of the earlier UZIs possibly built by Group Industries as it didn't have the Vector engraving on the one side. He said the these had better parts and the finish was an up-grade from when Vector began making them. Not sure if this was just a sell tactic or not??

Jones

Ratchet vs non-ratchet. A ratching top cover is a safety feature to keep open bolt guns from firing if dropped or bumped on the back end.
If the bolt slides back far enough to strip a round but not far enough to engage the sear, you can pretty much depend on it firing.
Don't count on the cheek of your ass or your family jewels not being in the way when it happens.
Closed bolt guns don't have that tendency since they're striker fired.

ATCDoktor

Also, the seller that sold me the UZI said mine was one of the earlier UZIs possibly built by Group Industries as it didn't have the Vector engraving on the one side.
I have heard this sentiment with respect to the "early" Vectors not being marked but I don't know how true that is.

I will share that I bought my Group Industries Uzi back in 2007 (when Vector was still in business) with the understanding that it "was" truly a Vector and it showed up without the proper markings.

I was furious when it showed up not properly marked and called the seller and asked WTF and he shared the same info "well, I was told that some of the early Vectors weren't marked".

I told the seller that I had just gotten off the phone with Vector and they said that if an UZI wasn't marked "Vector" it wasn't one of theirs and they wouldn't warranty it.

The seller accepted that I was not happy and offered to take it back and refund my money and I was about 40 seconds from doing just that buuuuut my SOT stopped me and shared that I would regret it if I did (send it back) and he was exactly right.

My Group Industries serial number 1011XX has been 100% reliable, never had an issue, no chronic jamming, no out of spec trunion, any top cover fits and runs like top.

It was an exceptional first machinegun and I'm so happy I kept it.

UZIUPONTHAT

Ratchet vs non-ratchet. A ratching top cover is a safety feature to keep open bolt guns from firing if dropped or bumped on the back end.
If the bolt slides back far enough to strip a round but not far enough to engage the sear, you can pretty much depend on it firing.
Don't count on the cheek of your ass or your family jewels not being in the way when it happens.
Closed bolt guns don't have that tendency since they're striker fired.
Thanks Jones. And with semi auto A versions this won't be a problem because of the closed bolt design?

UZIUPONTHAT

ATCDoktor my serial number is much higher and I will continue to research but I would like to find out the story on this one. It appears to be have not been shot much. And my top cover is ratcheted vs non. Pics attached.

Attachments

• UZI 1.jpg
    UZI 1.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 16
  • UZI 2.jpg
    UZI 2.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 16
  • UZI 4.jpg
    UZI 4.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 14
  • UZI TOP.jpg
    UZI TOP.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 12
  • UZI 5.jpg
    UZI 5.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 16

slimshady

The ratcheting top cover is a safety feature to prevent the open bolt gun from firing if you are cocking the gun and let go before the bolt has been caught by the sear.

The drop safety feature is the notches in the bottom of the open bolt. When forward on an empty chamber, the sear rises into these notches. Unless the grip safety is depressed, the sear cannot move downward, effectively locking the bolt closed. In most cases of being dropped, the grip safety would not be depressed. Easy to demonstrate, try to cock an empty open bolt gun without depressing the grip safety.

Closed bolt guns of course do not need the ratcheting top cover as the gun does not fire by dropping the bolt. Never tried it, but IIRC the buffer in the semi closed bolt doesn't allow the bolt to move back far enough for the ratchet to disengage. When using a stock SMG cover the pawl is usually removed.

ATCDoktor

ATCDoktor my serial number is much higher and I will continue to research but I would like to find out the story on this one. It appears to be have not been shot much. And my top cover is ratcheted vs non. Pics attached.
From the pics it appears your gun is a semi auto, is that correct?

UZIUPONTHAT

I have heard this sentiment with respect to the "early" Vectors not being marked but I don't know how true that is.

I will share that I bought my Group Industries Uzi back in 2007 (when Vector was still in business) with the understanding that it "was" truly a Vector and it showed up without the proper markings.

I was furious when it showed up not properly marked and called the seller and asked WTF and he shared the same info "well, I was told that some of the early Vectors weren't marked".

I told the seller that I had just gotten off the phone with Vector and they said that if an UZI wasn't marked "Vector" it wasn't one of theirs and they wouldn't warranty it.

The seller accepted that I was not happy and offered to take it back and refund my money and I was about 40 seconds from doing just that buuuuut my SOT stopped me and shared that I would regret it if I did (send it back) and he was exactly right.

My Group Industries serial number 1011XX has been 100% reliable, never had an issue, no chronic jamming, no out of spec trunion, any top cover fits and runs like top.

It was an exceptional first machinegun and I'm so happy I kept it.
Here is an auction link for one just like mine with like serial number range and the seller doesn't mention Vector once. Says it's manufactured by Action Arms. https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...tic--10-mags--carry-case.cfm?gun_id=101422073

ATCDoktor

UZIUPONTHAT

The gun in the link you provided is a Group Industries semi automatic carbine (just like yours).

There’s no mention of Action Arms anywhere in the add.
Did yours have black furniture or green? If Vector is adamant that they didn't make our UZI's if they aren't engraved with their name then who the heck manufactured them?

ATCDoktor

Group Industries manufactured them hence the manufacturers markings on the reciever.

Give this a read (it’s an article literally posted on the Uzitalk website) as it will give you the “gouge” on a bit of history (not all their history) with respect Group Industries, the guns the made and who sold them.

Group did a little business building both full auto and semi auto Uzi’s back in the day.

Mine is a Registered Receiver full auto built to full machinegun specs by Group Industries.

Green furniture was what the used in the bulk (if not all) the guns they manufactured.

Here’s a video of mine using a practical solutions railed top cover and an RDS.

Suppressed

Like I said earlier, I’ve had mine since 2007 and it’s been 100% reliable with many thousands of rounds fired throughout it.

Only issue I’ve had with mine was a broken extractor, fortunately I bought a half dozen back in the day when you could get them.

If you want the history from where Group declared bankruptcy and where Vector bought their receivers give this a read:

Last edited:

UZIUPONTHAT

Thank you for sending the videos and links. I am really impressed with the zero recoil when you pull the trigger. That's why these things were so successful! I am going to have to carefully inspect mine when I get it in my hands next week. I can't wait! Speaking of extractors I am bidding on a new 9mm one for $100, yes a $100 dollars, I know.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter