Z Mags too Tight in M11/9 Mag well

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
An accent and capitalization by iPhone—Really?

Ps: “could” You inserted a word unnecessarily.
I purposely added “could” as it offers a suggestion instead of the sentence being an uncompromising statement.

With that bullshit over-with...

From my experience, clamping a zmag in a vise front to back doesn’t square the mags, the metal flows elsewhere bulging out the sides slightly. Stating that method squares them is incorrect; it simply means you’re trading one dimension which can be a problem in certain guns for an expanding issue elsewhere in the magazine. That isn’t really squaring anything.

Heineken

UZI Talk Supporter
I got 4 new 30 rounders in Jan. Won't fit in a 1985, won't even start to insert into magwell. Sent them to a friend with 2 1986 m11s...1 mag would insert into 1 of them, very tight but would not lock in. The others wound not fit. A few emails back and forth and was told they are going to do a batch and file them before cerakote for some people with same issues....but haven't heard back as of yet.

LawBob

I purposely added “could” as it offers a suggestion instead of the sentence being an uncompromising statement.

From my experience, clamping a zmag in a vise front to back doesn’t square the mags, the metal flows elsewhere bulging out the sides slightly. Stating that method squares them is incorrect; it simply means you’re trading one dimension which can be a problem in certain guns for an expanding issue elsewhere in the magazine. That isn’t really squaring anything.

you jig it

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
That’s different from what you said previously putting in a vise front to back.

Please share specs of the jig that nobody owns.

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
I wrote them and said:
"Hey y'all,
Some users are reporting issues with fitment on Zmags, just wanted to make you aware and ask if there is a fix planned? Was looking forward to ordering some new mags soon. "

They replied on Feb 28:
"Yes. There is a plan in place for the next batch coming in about 5-6 weeks."

LawBob

His issue is front to back distance.

If the front face or the back face of the mag is arched outward, yes by squaring it in a vice slightly will move the corners out (left and right), which is likely where they were supposed to be anyway. I’m not suggesting you crush your mag to bulge the sides outward.

LawBob

So now you’re back to that instead of the non-existent jig.

...Sez a guy who washes parts in gasoline.

Take a 1x2, cut lengthwise in the middle on table-saw at same same angle as trapezoid. Flip one half of wood. (Since the opposite angle will fill the other side).

Put in vice with two sides of mag covered by the wood, clamp w c clamps to prevent any outward bulging as you use vice to square front to back.

Pretty simple. You might have to experiment with optimal thicknesses of wood / shimming (you might table-saw to the exact width of the mag front to back - how about to the factory specs, then cut your angles). It’s called a homemade jig. You could even use some double sided tape to temporarily secure the wood to the sides as you position it in vice (squishing from sides is going to want to squeeze the mag out since it’s a wedge. The vice sides will prevent this).

t9o2Vcu_d.webp

Last edited:

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
^ Says a guy that chambers live rounds slowly with the firing pin still in the bolt to check feeding from the magazine.

Nice kindergarten drawing, it’s worth as much.

LawBob

Pointed safely down range one at a time, so what if it goes off.

You could make that jig in 5 minutes
Oh wait, you can’t. But a person of average intelligence could.

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
That’s such a cheap comeback. Not worth chasing at this point.

By the way nazi, your purple kindergarten vice should be spelled, vise. ;)

Later.

LawBob

That’s such a cheap comeback. Not worth chasing at this point.

By the way nazi, your purple kindergarten vice should be spelled, vise. ;)

Later.

Awesome.

If you’re gonna zing, then don’t fuck up:

By the way nazi, your purple kindergarten vice should be spelled, vise.

...should read:

By the way, Nazi, your purple kindergarten “vice” should be spelled “vise.”

Who’s trying to help? Not you. Can’t run a table saw. Go play with gasoline and light a match.

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
Guys... Some adviSe, you don't win arguments on the internet!

Now has anyone called shockwave about swapping out of spec mags for good ones?

Heineken

UZI Talk Supporter
Guys... Some adviSe, you don't win arguments on the internet!

Now has anyone called shockwave about swapping out of spec mags for good ones?

Yes and no...they don't admit the newer mags are out of spec. And you will just get mags that have the same issues most likely.
Or instead they said they are doing a batch they will try to make sure measure slightly smaller....ie file/grind them down before cerakote. At which time they may let someone swap. They offered me a refund as well if I wanted to send the mags back.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter