zmag-s value?

ktk120

I have 3 new never used zmag-s mags. The ones for use with the lage suomi mag uppers in 9mm. I bought them thinking I would get a lage upper at some point. Now that i have an Uzi i do not see myself getting a lage suomi upper. I tried to look up a value but seems unavailable. Are these no longer made? what are they worth?

ktk120

ahh ok i didn't realize lage was making them now instead of zmag

Jmacken37

Mr. Miata, UZI Talk Life Member,
For a while (when they were unavailable after Shockwave stopped making them) they were going for crazy amounts. Now that Lage has sourced someone to modify existing Zmags, they are as above. You might be able to get more if the mags are backordered (as of now, they are).

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
There was a window of time maybe a year or two where these were the only mags that worked. During that. They were worth over $100 each. That period I think is over though. I think 50 or 65 would be a good sale. As always GunBroker will answer your question by just putting it up for one penny

Jtm35a2

Lage has them again. Just got an email from being on the waiting list

10mmlover

And Sam makes an adapter to use zmags
I've got that adapter. It's certainly likely that it'l loosen up over time, but It was extremely tight in the upper, to the point that getting it back out was rather difficult. Second was the mags going into the adapter were also extremely tight so you'd have to really yank on them to get them out. Ultimately, I'd got the regular magazine with the correct tab on the back method if you actually planned to use something with that 31 upper other than drums.

LawBob

I've got that adapter. It's certainly likely that it'l loosen up over time, but It was extremely tight in the upper, to the point that getting it back out was rather difficult. Second was the mags going into the adapter were also extremely tight so you'd have to really yank on them to get them out. Ultimately, I'd got the regular magazine with the correct tab on the back method if you actually planned to use something with that 31 upper other than drums.
Put some wax or frog lube on the adapter touch points

I hate how hard it is to slide the batteries on off the Milwaukee tools, a little furniture wax does wonders.

Jon9116

I just got my zmags (DC31). All of them catch the bolt. I let the bolt drop repeatedly on one of the mags until the lips sheared off the excess material to where it lets the bolt drop but I’m not certain it’ll function (haven’t test fired). Anyone else have this issue? Pretty disappointing for what I paid. I’ve already reached out to Lage to see what they say.

Jmacken37

Pretty much normal. You can drop the bolt some more or slowly file the feed lips and frequently check fitment.

Offmarksman

UZI Talk Life Member
Mac receivers are bent sheet metal. They are all different specs. There were also several different manufacturers over the years. The magazines were built to be fitted to a large degree of variance. I know they may seem expensive, but when you consider the tooling costs, materials, and labor, coupled with a low number of potential buyers (demand), there is no real chance of any economies of scale. They are your best option for a quality magazine, and we should all be thankful to all vendors who offer them. Believe me, they are not getting rich off of these magazines. In Richards case, I would be surprised if he’s not just breaking even on them…

Jmacken37

Yes. It will be fine and Offmarksman hit the nail on the head. We machine gunners are a very small group. The Macs were made prior to precision machining being a readily available process and the "factory spec" was very loose and imprecise. The Zmag feed lips are longer by design to account for this imprecision.

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
3rd. We call it "Self Clearancing" and it's a good thing. You do with all new zmags.

Deerhurst

Yes. It will be fine and Offmarksman hit the nail on the head. We machine gunners are a very small group. The Macs were made prior to precision machining being a readily available process and the "factory spec" was very loose and imprecise. The Zmag feed lips are longer by design to account for this imprecision.
Prior to precision machining?!?!?!

People have been making stuff to much tighter tolerances for longer than you think, for 100s of years. I'd say +-0.0005 was not out of the realm of possibility or common 200 years ago or better. The tools you make things with have to be made at a tighter tolerance to what you are making. Bridgeport shipped their first mill in 1938. I've managed tighter than +/-0.001 on my 1980 BP tracer mill running it manually. With a surface grinder from the 60s I've done well tighter than half thou.

Precision machining has been around for a long time. It is not condusive to rapid manufacturing or cheap manufacturing. Macs we're always to be manufactured rapidly and cheaply.

Jmacken37

Deerhurst, you are of course correct. I should have said something like, "CNC production precision machining."

You could certainly produce products on a bridgeport, but nowhere nearly as efficiently (cheaply) as on a modern CNC rig.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter