Factory Folder?

Offmarksman

UZI Talk Life Member
I believe there were gb models (18” with bayo lugs) special ordered with factory folders. Docementston would be the only way to know for sure. Ruger used to provide info, if you gave the serial number, but I wouldn’t hold my breath any more, since they don’t service them any more.

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
YES, they made the ac556 factory folder with an 18"/13" barrel as well as a GB MINI 14 and non GB mini 14 folder.

I've seen one, can't remember where.

Last edited:

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
About 2 years ago I sent off to Ruger for several 'factory as issued' letters, including one for an AC556. I suspect they are still doing it. Really all you get is confirmation of finish (blue / stainless) and configuration (barrel length, stock type), maybe a manufacturing date but I'm not 100% certain about that.

MG34_Dan

About 2 years ago I sent off to Ruger for several 'factory as issued' letters, including one for an AC556. I suspect they are still doing it. Really all you get is confirmation of finish (blue / stainless) and configuration (barrel length, stock type), maybe a manufacturing date but I'm not 100% certain about that.

Here is a factory letter for a full stocked AC556. There's no mention of stock or barrel length:

Ruger-Letter-Sanitized.jpg

i was under the impression that there were no long barrel (18") AC factory folders. however, in looking for one i've run across a dealer that says he has one for sale. is this possible and how would i check? there is mention of this here:
http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showt...quot-and-quot-F-quot&highlight=folder+folding

There are indeed factory folder full length barreled AC556s out there. The only way that I know of for sure is to look at the front sling swivel. A folding stock Mini/AC will/should have the front sling swivel on the side and not the bottom. This a isn't a foolproof indication, but you can be 90% assured that a side sling swivel indicates a folding stock. Ruger wasn't always consistent with the front sling swivels.

Look at the front sling swivels on my factory 'Stainless Twins' below:

KAC556-F-over-KGBF.jpg

Front-Sling-Swivels.jpg

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
Well now you've forced me to go dig out my papers from the back of the safe to see exactly what my letters stated. I have on AC556 and 4 other folders that I wanted to verify were indeed factory - but I admit I can't recall what the letters stated. I'm sure you're right but I'm curious now.

I scoured the interweb regrading the sling swivel thing and it seems like some folks make a good case that there are (rarely) legit folders with the swivel at the 6:00 position. I'm personally not 100% convinced and probably would pass on one like that. But my research supports MG34_Dan's comments.

There's another point of contention about the rear swivel. Given they are detachable, apparently they got lost a lot. One would think all stainless models would get a stainless rear swivel, but again, there's a debate that suggest some factory stainless models came with blued rear swivels. I had two semi folders missing the swivels and bought from Ruger supposedly the last two rear swivels they had - which were both blued.

I'll post an update if my letters are more specific than Dan's. Likely not, unless for the semi's they provided a model designation that indicated folder and finish.

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
So back from the safe.

My letters:

1. 184 series, Kmini-14/5F shipped July 1983, which tells me stainless, folder, semi, 5 round mag.
2. 181 series, Mini-14/5F shipped Sept 1979, which tells me blue, folder, semi, 5 round mag.
3. 184 series, Mini-14/5F shipped Feb 1984, which tells me blue, folder, semi, 5 round mag.
4. 183 series, Mini-14/5F shipped Oct 1982, which tells me blue, folder, semi, 5 round mag.
5. 185 series, Mini-14/20GBK shipped Nov 1990, which tells me stainless Government w/ bayonet lug - and mine has a factory folding stock. Hmm.
6. 191 series, KAC556 shipped Feb 1984, which tells me only stainless FA. My gun has the 13" short barrel, stainless, factory folder. In my mind in a perfect world Ruger would have put on the letter "KAC556F"?, because I think KAC556 could mean fixed wood stock, 18.5" barrel. So either the clerk at Ruger forget the "F" or "K", Ruger's records are incorrect, or someone swapped both the barrel and stock on my KAC556. Or??? (Dan - your thoughts?)

Interesting in that Ruger appears to have stripped all reference to the 191- series AC556's from their website.

Last edited:

MG34_Dan

There's another point of contention about the rear swivel. Given they are detachable, apparently they got lost a lot. One would think all stainless models would get a stainless rear swivel, but again, there's a debate that suggest some factory stainless models came with blued rear swivels. I had two semi folders missing the swivels and bought from Ruger supposedly the last two rear swivels they had - which were both blued.

Blue rear swivels are the only way I've seen them. This is true even with stainless models. I know it's funky as hell, but it is what it is.

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
how hard are side mount sling swivel/gas blocks to come by? i suppose you could buy a complete folder
parts kit like this one:
https://www.gunsamerica.com/961465249/Ruger-AC556-Parts-Kit-Stainless-Folding-Stock-Mini.htm

Both are hard to find and pricey. Folks want the side mounted swivel gas block to replace the 6:00 swivel position gas block so their folder will appear to be 'factory original'. And those parts kits have AC556 parts that are really unavailable except through police demils such as that one. That's why they are ALWAYS "Sold Out" or >$800. The folding stocks alone appear to be fetching $600-$750 now on ebay.

slimshady

Since Ruger made the things originally you would think they would simply make more! Now that Bill is dead and the new management has no qualms about selling the great unwashed 30rd clipazines and "tactical" Minis you'd think they would be all over this. Simply making an "A-Team Commemorative" rifle they would likely sell thousands. Since they are now doing NFA with their suppressors, why not an SBR semi auto clone of the AC556 shorty? I'd buy one of those and I don't even know what I would use it for!

Now if the tooling for the folder is gone it might be hard to reproduce, but the gas blocks and sight tops for same is just a slight tweak to their existing product. Grab an original and let the investment casting commence!

Offmarksman

UZI Talk Life Member
87954-CC2-DEA2-4500-A206-05-D28-F1308-B3.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Or just tig shut the hole at 6 o’clock and tig a sling mount on the side like this mini-14 clone of mine. Had it hit blued after. There are (2) versions of the gas block. One like this, and the other has the material on the bottom removed.

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
Since Ruger made the things originally you would think they would simply make more! Now that Bill is dead and the new management has no qualms about selling the great unwashed 30rd clipazines and "tactical" Minis you'd think they would be all over this. Simply making an "A-Team Commemorative" rifle they would likely sell thousands. Since they are now doing NFA with their suppressors, why not an SBR semi auto clone of the AC556 shorty? I'd buy one of those and I don't even know what I would use it for!

Now if the tooling for the folder is gone it might be hard to reproduce, but the gas blocks and sight tops for same is just a slight tweak to their existing product. Grab an original and let the investment casting commence!

I've been saying this for years and Couldn't agree with you more.

BuffDragon

UZI Talk Life Member
regarding the different gas blocks, there's some good info in this thread (mine from 10 years ago on another forum)

https://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-mini-30/65709-whats-gas-block.html

ETA:
also, there are two different versions of the side folder stock. one has more "bracing" around the folding mechanism, one does not.
maybe not the best way to explain, but if you have seen the (I think its the older) version with less 'bracing' you'll understand what I'm talking about.
ETA 3: its in post #5. look closely at mg34_Dan's guns and you'll see the stocks are different.

ETA 2:
there is also a knock off folder that looks very similar, but uses an ar15 style grip.

slimshady

Looks like Samson has heard all the cries for a repro folder stock and has partnered with Ruger to make it a reality! Ruger found the original molds and are producing the metal parts for them, as well as the wood. Looks like they are doing the stock tube themselves, and have new castings of the original style grips as well. Looks great, and they plan on making a 10/22 version too! Christmas release they hope, only worrisome tidbit is they say the raw materials are damn expensive and it came in just over the price point they were aiming for. Hopefully that means they are $160 versus the unrealistic $150 original target price!

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
Looks like Samson has heard all the cries for a repro folder stock and has partnered with Ruger to make it a reality! Ruger found the original molds and are producing the metal parts for them, as well as the wood. Looks like they are doing the stock tube themselves, and have new castings of the original style grips as well. Looks great, and they plan on making a 10/22 version too! Christmas release they hope, only worrisome tidbit is they say the raw materials are damn expensive and it came in just over the price point they were aiming for. Hopefully that means they are $160 versus the unrealistic $150 original target price!

Thanks for the info.
The stock looks really good. It would make my day if they would reproduce the ac556k front gas block sight.
The 10/22 version will be tits.

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member

There was a fellow in the Houston area about 6 months back selling a used 10/22 with what appeared to be the same design but scaled down version of the Mini-14 factory folding stock.

He claimed it was either factory made or a special run of 'dealer special'.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter