SIONICS Can Value

dalbert

Administrator
Staff member
Some of the old MAC suppressors have become collectors items. I know a major dealer who had a couple hundred suppressors that they sold two years ago, and it was surprising what some of the MAC related suppressors fetched. The Buy It Now price for this one sounds high, but maybe not outrageous.

David

jolague

Thank you, David. When I purchased my RPB/PS MAC in 2009 from a local PD (in their locker since 1982) and my SIONICS can in 45ACP came with the total purchase minus an additional $200 tax on my end. Did not know their increased value these days.

Last edited:

LawBob

I’d say not much to those who know. They can only be used on the mac basically. Threads.

You’d be much better off getting a modern one than paying $2k for that.

The gemtech
One comes to mind if they still make it. And Bowers are better.

Many here have converted the guts to modern baffles.

SecondAmend

If the silencer is over 50 years old, can it also be classified as a Curio & Relic as is being done, or at least attempted, with the 50+ year old MAC submachine guns?

Tinman45

I’d say not much to those who know. They can only be used on the mac basically. Threads.

The gemtech

Respectfully, thread adapters are a thing. I’ve used my Gemtech can that’s threaded for the MAC on a bunch of other pistol caliber stuff, and even shot some subsonic .300BO through it. Hasn‘t hurt it that I’m able to tell.

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
DA143082-C607-4-A32-B05-B-2-FCD317-FF95-B.jpg
Reference to a private sale, In February of this year, I paid $500 for a NIB Powder Springs 9mm CAN. (Matching serial number on box and can).

dalbert

Administrator
Staff member

The gemtech

No doubt newer cans are better. However, vintage cans have developed a collector following.

David

LawBob

Respectfully, thread adapters are a thing. I’ve used my Gemtech can that’s threaded for the MAC on a bunch of other pistol caliber stuff, and even shot some subsonic .300BO through it. Hasn‘t hurt it that I’m able to tell.
Notice that you’re using a better can, with an adapter.

The coarse threads for the Mac aren’t ideal for other applications.

I’d take 3 suppressors that are better over any infatuation for a lesser, “vintage” $2k can.

I have a vintage can. I consider it cool. I wouldn’t buy one.

LawBob

If the silencer is over 50 years old, can it also be classified as a Curio & Relic as is being done, or at least attempted, with the 50+ year old MAC submachine guns?
Interesting. Prob not bc it’s not a firearm.

Edit: it seems so. Here’s what the “government” considers to be a firearm for purposes of CnR

Firearm.Any weapon, including a starter gun, which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; the frame or receiver of any such weapon; any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or any destructive device; but the term shall not include an antique firearm. In the case of a licensed collector, the term shall mean only curios and relics.

§ 478.11

Last edited:

dalbert

Administrator
Staff member
I’d take 3 suppressors that are better over any infatuation for a lesser, “vintage” $2k can.

I have a vintage can. I consider it cool. I wouldn’t buy one.
To each their own. I'd rather have the original suppressor than 3 better suppressors.

David

LawBob

The .gov considers silencers as firearms.

One of my F4s:
b94dc1aa_f70e_4871_bed1_e0c6099c0353_ef5b82fda3040341cfcefe6395a6b84688970b4b.jpeg
It’s treated as such. Yes.

And a Kentucky Rifle that won the revolutionary war was NOT a firearm either, according to you. Correct?

Must Not be covered by the second amendment either.

Bc the government doesn’t consider them to be firearms. Right?

Can you get your dealer to mail you a handgun or long gun?

“firearms” can’t be delivered by mail, but they can mail you a silencer when your F4 is approved. Correct?

We all know a silencer can’t make the cartridge go bang…I just proposed a “possible” reason for any discrepancy. Apparently he can.

Note the verbiage:
“for the purposes of THIS chapter…”

For the purpose of this chapter—
(a)Firearm
The term “firearm” means (1) a shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (2) a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (5) any other weapon, as defined in subsection (e); (6) amachinegun; (7) any silencer (as defined in section 921 of title 18, United States Code); and (8) a destructive device.The term “firearm” shall not include an antique firearm or any device (other than amachinegun or destructive device) which, although designed as a weapon, the Secretary finds by reason of the date of its manufacture, value, design, and other characteristics is primarily a collector’s item and is not likely to be used as a weapon.

The .gov in Texas:
(3) "Firearm" means any device designed, made, or adapted to expel a projectile through a barrel by using the energy generated by an explosion or burning substance or any device readily convertible to that use.

Last edited:

Weso

Mine won’t. I changed the Guts. No more shoe lace eyes.
Did you do it yourself? Mine had the second stage redone by AWC but was so leaded(not me)in the first stage was getting baffle strikes. Sent mine to KGB Armament in FL and got it back last Friday. They put in stnls mesh in the first stage and second is baffled. Looks very good.

LawBob

The .gov considers silencers as firearms.

One of
Did you do it yourself? Mine had the second stage redone by AWC but was so leaded(not me)in the first stage was getting baffle strikes. Sent mine to KGB Armament in FL and got it back last Friday. They put in stnls mesh in the first stage and second is baffled. Looks very good.
Andy in Florida. He replaced the eyes with stainless steel mesh, and the baffles with some cheaper disks and spacers. It works fine. It’s nothing fancy. I don’t have a wipe. If you recore, you might ask to keep the end cap wipe option Available.

I’m sure I could replace the last disk and spacer with the appropriate thickness of a wipe- of course I’d send it to an SOT0207.

Bowers will Re-core it them. They may do a monocore? Can’t recall.

I think Curtis tactical will also

LawBob

Yeah I think kgb is Andy http://kgbarms.com/

LawBob

To each their own. I'd rather have the original suppressor than 3 better suppressors.

David
Agreed to each. I like the original. But I wouldn’t pay $2k for one when I could get more versatile ones (3) for that price. That’s a cost benefit analysis and certainly personal preference.

Ex: You can use this on other hosts

dalbert

Administrator
Staff member
Can you get your dealer to mail you a handgun or long gun?

“firearms” can’t be delivered by mail, but they can mail you a silencer when your F4 is approved. Correct?
Incorrect. Firearms can be delivered by mail.

David

104timberwolf

UZI Talk Supporter
I purchased my MAC 10 with a matching SN suppressor. It does have a certain cool factor. I eventually had Thompson Machine make a mono core baffle for it, while retaining the original end cap with the wipe.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter