Any experiences with Hi-Desert Dog?

heimue

Do any of you guys have experiences with Hi-Desert Dog besides the one in this thread? I'm about to spend some $$$ on him for a Sig conversion with threaded barrel, and want to have some more barrels threaded at the same time.
Any input is appreciated.

Dieter

Last edited:

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
I had a negative experience.

I do not trust their barrels or threading services. Bret/Hi-Desertdog sold me a threaded SS MKII barrel that canted my can. It had no shoulder.

I returned it for credit toward shortening the barrel and a .5 x 28 thread job on my 77/22. It took HDD 3 months to return it with 4 missed promised return dates. It came back with funky unwanted adapter and .5 x20ish threads. The threads ruined my adapter on a P22 and SS Spectre mount.

I had Richard and brooks at Thompson Machine turn the 77/22 into an integral b/c the barrel was too short to fix. HDD took 2 months to give me a refund on the purchase price of the MKII barrel. I made no further attempts to get cash back from HDD for the adapter or mount. SWR took care of my Spectre mount for free. SWR and TM are great to deal with and extremely helpful!

HDD did not cheat me, just did bad work and couldn't keep his promised shipping dates or refund dates.

Here are some people who did good threading jobs for me.

Chili17
GA Precision
Tornado Technologies
ADCO
hooperordnance

Last edited:

Trident9

I ordered a Ruger 10/22 green mountain bull barrel that was threaded by them, it has a nice blended thread pro. They are slow to ship, but I knew that going in so I was prepared. Just don't get hung up expecting your item to ship within a couple of weeks of ordering and you should be fine. My experience was good enough I would shop there again. If there is anything I have learned since getting involved in NFA it is patience.

Natotx

I had HDD thread a slabside browning buckmark pistol for me. That is the last work I will have them do.

1. Weeks past promised turnaround, called to see what the deal was. Said they would get back to me. They did, said they lost my bbl and were going to send out a new one.
2. Couple weeks later, no bbl. Called again. Now they said they found the bbl, and would ship it out soon.
3. Finally got bbl. No slab sided (round, instead) thread protector. Front sight moved too far back (not like pic on website).
4. Threading is ok.

MrM4

FFL 07/02, UZI Talk Life Member,
I bougth a 5 inch .5x28 1022 barrel from them, it was out of spec so badly that my OutbackII seized to the threads and had to be put in the freezer and then a vise to get a hold on it solid enough to get the two appart. at the end of the day I chased the threads with a die and got the barrel to spec and now it works fine but there is no reason to deal with those jerk offs.
They are a company that will never get another dime from me. I tell ALL of my customer about the experance. I dont know how they stay in business with all the threads full of people who have gotten sub par products from them.

ecucmgt

Hi Dessert Dog is Fine

I first bought a 10/22 Green Mountain Barrel threaded by him. Threads are hidden by a seamless portector. Threads were a very nice class of thread. No Problems with that one. YHM Mite fits perfectly and looks seamless when installed. I sent him a Kimber custom target .22 lr 1911 pistol. I was a little scared. $ 700 factory 22 that shoots extremely tight groups. Don't expect 1-2 week turn around and you'll be fine. The slide came back with a seamless matching piece of Stainless for the thread extenstion. It is really hard to see a line where the barrel ends and the extension begins. I requested 1/2x28 x .40 long. The accuracy is still the same with the can on or off. Very happy with that one. So after waiting for him to get some in stock, I ordered a Beretta 21A barrel in matte black. I ordered on his website. He didn't get the order or lost it. After 4 weeks courtesy time I called to inquire. He appologized for the order being lost and shipped it that day.
I really do have to tell you that this guy is machinist at a level above the stuff I have seen at Tornado Tech and other places. I am sure they do fine work as well but this guy does quality stuff. I don't like someone who does good work being bashed when I have seen the level of his work. I will try to post some pictures and show you how nice his work has been.

GaryM

I bought a threaded bbl for a Beretta Neos from him a few years back. I don't recall how long it took but I have been impressed with the quality.

monica

I have positive feedback for them. I bought a 5 inch .5x28 1022 barrel from Hi Desert Dog. It works fine. They have provided high quality rifle to me. I recommended them to my friends as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter