Chicom take-home milled AK-47 from Vietnam, how about this for an investment?

azgunner

What are your thoughts?

This one's obviously not in the greatest condition. Looks to be some light surface rust, especially on the rear tang. Two holes from shrapnel, one in the stock and one in the dust cover. The gun is said in the description to be a reactivated DEWAT, whatever that means as far as parts go. Could be that some of the original parts were welded and had to be replaced? Either way, I don't see a whole lot of transferable milled AK47s for sale.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/892163056

Would you refinish the bluing on the receiver or leave as is and just keep her oiled up?

Here's a previous auction sale for an excellent condition milled AK.
https://www.morphyauctions.com/jamesdjulia/item/3020-394/

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
That gun is absolutely TITS.
By that I mean it’s amazing, right down to the magazine.

I would NOT do anything to that gun, except shoot it. It’s got history, battle scars, patina, transferable and a really rare milled ak47 at the end of the day.

Probably the coolest AK that I’ve seen for sale, ever.

gorillastomp

UZI Talk Life Member
My dad said they were putting lead in the end of the barrel to dewat them. Then once back just melt the lead out of it. Would not surprise me if, this is how this was done. He had one that he did this on. They changed the rules. It had to be more permanent. So he didn’t get his back here.

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
Is that a cool AK? Absolutely, but it is a museum peice that you can own. As far as an "investment", I would think that the value is near the peak of the market. Guys that experienced Vietnam would tend to be most of the potential buyers. This would tend to be their peak earning time of their lives. It is also getting to be the time in their lives that they would be retiring. Retirement tends to be a time of lower discretionary income.

If you want it and can afford it, buy it. I would think of it as something that you wish to own, not something that you are buying with the intention of turning a profit on. Could you make a profit? Possibly, but it is a highly speculative "investment " . If you are interested in profit, there are many things much less risky and with more potential for profit than this AK. Good luck with your decision.

Scott

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
Cool AK
Buy the gun & not the story...

I think the value on these have peaked for the reasons Scott
Outlined re: optimal buyer demographics

Member13

Sellers feedback history would worry the hell out of me in an investment of that price.

BlackBelt

UZI Talk Life Member
Since 1982 I have heard some variation of, "Oh, the market has topped out on this or that gun."
You know the rest of that story...

Did the interest in WWII firearms dwindle as the WWII vets died off? Are they just throwing WWII M1's and those dirty old Colt 1911's in the garbage for lack of interest or value?

That AK will always have a buyer, even if its premium pricing somewhat limits that pool.

Last edited:

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
I think of MGs as a purchase, not an investment. I have thought each of the one's I've bought was worth what I paid just to own and use it. If I had to also factor in having to be able to sell it back for that amount or more then they wouldn't have been worth it to me.

ie: I paid 5.5k for my M10 and it was worth that to me even if I can never sell it.

There is a certain rare fishing reel that's very expensive. One day I hope to own one. I would be willing to eat the cost even if it was not longer worth anything, because I like it that much and just want to have it to look at and play with. I don't feel that way about an AK-47, but some might.

sweersa

Beautiful.

It would be a sin to refinish a firearm like that, though I won't tell a man what he can do with his own firearm in that regard.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
Having worked in an Antiques Auction for a few years when I was younger (I still keep an eye on the subject), provenance matters a lot!
If it comes with the original paperwork (some government forms, a dated letter from the soldier where he tells his brother/father, etc, that he's bringing it home, US paperwork he received upon his return), that will help establish provenance, if there is a Serial Number on the forms/letter, or a description of the shrapnel damage.

Never refinish any antique; refinishing destroys a lot (half or more) of the value.

David Hineline

FFL/SOT
Having worked in an Antiques Auction for a few years when I was younger (I still keep an eye on the subject), provenance matters a lot!
If it comes with the original paperwork (some government forms, a dated letter from the soldier where he tells his brother/father, etc, that he's bringing it home, US paperwork he received upon his return), that will help establish provenance, if there is a Serial Number on the forms/letter, or a description of the shrapnel damage.

Never refinish any antique; refinishing destroys a lot (half or more) of the value.

So you are saying I could buy a rotisserie restored 1963 Split Window Corvette in like new condition, for less than a basket case barn find, because it had been refurbed?

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
So you are saying I could buy a rotisserie restored 1963 Split Window Corvette in like new condition, for less than a basket case barn find, because it had been refurbed?

Come on Dude, you know that the original patina finish on an old firearm is worth more than the same gun that has had a wire brush taken to it. Just the same as an all original low miles spit window coup would be worth more than that same basket case Barn find that has been redone by a quality restoration shop.

Scott

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter