FOIA Request Results for my S&W 76

MontanaRenegade86

UZI Talk Supporter
The results of a FOIA request for my S&W 76 finally came back. I always get excited when I get these requests fulfilled, because it tells a story about one of my firearms.

Here's the story of my S&W 76...

Form 2: 11/08/1971 (Date of Manufacture)
Approved Form 5 to Massachusetts State Police (Supply Depot): 05/23/1973
Approved Form 5 to Billistics Inc: 02/25/1987
Approved Form 3 to DJB: 11/15/1988
Approved Form 3 to BGS: 04/xx/89, looks like ATF received it on the 6th and possibly approved it on the 8th, but the date stamp is barely legible.
Approved Form 3 to DealerNFA: 05/11/2014
Approved Form 3 to BDM, LLC: 04/06/2017
Approved Form 3 to HCO, LLC: 06/28/2022
Approved Form 4 to me: 05/30/2023

Several things I found interesting:

1.) The first transfer (MSP) lists Smith & Wesson as the transferor, but it states that the firearm was sold thru American Arms Company.

2.) A two day paper Form 3 approval in 1989? Some examiner was way too efficient at his/her job.

3.) MSP kept this gun for 14 years, BGS kept it for 25.

4.) I'm the first non-FFL/SOT to own this gun?

5.) When I received the gun, it was absolutely gorgeous. I was almost hesitant to shoot it. A few very faint scuffs/scratches on the gun's parkerizing and pistol grip, some wear from the selector switch, a very slightly deformed recoil spring guide, and a little bit of wear on the trigger bar are the only indications that the gun has been shot. Safe Queen doesn't quite describe the condition of this gun in my opinion.

6.) As usual, the FOIA department at BATFE is.....well.....special? Seriously, I asked for the complete weapon history for three guns - MK760, Uzi registered bolt, and S&W 76. The S&W history is complete. The Uzi bolt is missing some history - no Form 2 and maybe some additional history. They completely ignored or forgot to address the MK760. Additionally, ATF included a Report of Destruction for a Mexican, Model 1916, 7.57mm rifle that shared the same serial number as my Model 76. Finally, I can argue that it took almost five years to get this FOIA request. I submitted a request on the MK760 and Uzi bolt in 2019. It disappeared into the abyss. When I took possession of my 76, I filed a new request that had all three guns on it. No wonder the public's trust in our government is lacking. :D

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter