Have you ever seen receiver wear in your UZI?

Dirk Hawthorne

There is some slight wear in my vector from the bolt running across the bottom of the receiver.

Mostly up front near the trunnion.

See photos.

I would say the gun has had about 20,000 rounds through it since it was new.

What say ye?

Attachments

• 20240225_172612.jpg
    20240225_172612.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 28

Dirk Hawthorne

more photos

Attachments

• 20240225_172620.jpg
    20240225_172620.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240225_172627.jpg
    20240225_172627.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240225_172632.jpg
    20240225_172632.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 26

Chef

The amount of wear you are having is normal and nothing to be concerned about. All the UZIs I have handled or owned showed more wear and galling from bolt travel in this area.
I would guess that's because when the bolt is moving, the magazine follower (or loaded rounds in the magazine) are pressing on the bottom of the bolt near the rear during the last two inches of it's travel, causing the rear of the bolt to lift and the front to dive down, putting more force on this area of the receiver.

One of mine:

Attachments

• UZI receiver wear.png
    UZI receiver wear.png
    353 KB · Views: 17

Samuel_Hoggson

Agree with Chef.

Left receiver has around 30k rounds but was re-parked roughly following backplate reweld. About 2k since the refinish. Right receiver w/about 6k.

uzireceiverwear1.jpg

brenbuilds

UZI Talk Supporter
UZI top covers can cause slightly more wear if they are too tight( or bring the gun to a halt), but nothing truly damaging to the gun. There is generally less flexion of the top cover towards the front and rear, which could explain the more pronounced wear towards the trunnion. You will not wear through the receiver though.

Dirk Hawthorne

Thanks, guys. For both the pictures and the information. This is a big relief.

I was thinking that the wear was caused by the fact that the gun is a Vector and they are known to have slight dimensional variances. I thought maybe the bolt was doing some kind of harmonic thumping around due to an uneven riding surface.

I wasn't worried about wearing through the receiver so much as causing some sort of misalignment of the bolt as it rides into the grooves. I hate a gun that won't run well.

Thanks again.

Garrett

Good info from Henderson Defense over at an archived AR15.com thread. HD is one of the machine gun rental ranges in the Las Vegas area. They go through something like a million rounds per month and have posted about their experience with high round counts on various platforms.

The Uzi-specific info starts at post #9 of the thread. Note that these are converted post sample machine guns. The backplate welds seem to be the primary issue, and they note that the welds on their Century Arms guns are notably smaller than those on IMI guns.

Dirk Hawthorne

Good info from Henderson Defense over at an archived AR15.com thread. HD is one of the machine gun rental ranges in the Las Vegas area. They go through something like a million rounds per month and have posted about their experience with high round counts on various platforms.

The Uzi-specific info starts at post #9 of the thread. Note that these are converted post sample machine guns. The backplate welds seem to be the primary issue, and they note that the welds on their Century Arms guns are notably smaller than those on IMI guns.

Thanks

Looks like the welds are the only weak point. and the top cover cocking latch

I did have an extractor pretty much loose its springyness at about 20k rounds

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter