holographic sights

pauls

Went cheap and got a True glow red/green dot.Can't see SH--T in direct sun light.Sugestions ?Got compaction in Aug.What can I find at Sportsmansguide or cheaperthandirt.Sight mark/xts?This is for sub gun

MPA guy

Many of the

"cheap"

"entry level"

holographic sights and red dots don't have enough illumination.

It is exactly why I seek out the ones that have 11 brightness levels. Many of the cheapest ones only have 5 or maybe 6 brightness levels (especially the red and green dots), which is NOT enough.

SecondAmend

I'm not good enough a shooter to do competition so for subgun shooting I just use iron sights; then "spray and pray". For fun, I even shoot from the hip sometimes. For relatively low cost AR-15 simple red dot optics with both 5.56 and 9 mm shooting, the Bushnell TRS-25 has been okay for me so far. I have no personal experience but have read good things about the Primary Arms RDS as well.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to pursue.

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
ive got 4
1 is on a handgun....never been impressed with it...i believe its a Trijicon RMR

Eotech on my M4....never really liked it
just got a aimpoint comp m4 i plan on putting on my Lage Max-10
and my absolute favorite is a Leopold CQT.....dont think its a holographic sight, but it kicks ass in my opinion...i have it on my Aug and i can blast tin cans almost out of the air w/ it at 20 yards

waiting on my Lage and Mac to arrive before i try out the Aimpiont comp m4....i paid $450 on one of the for sale boards...its a $800-850 sight and is in like new condition....i know he sold a bunch more last week

i dont like to go cheap...... there is a .000001% chance your life may someday depend on that sight....i like to buy the best i can w/in reason

pauls

The comp. has two divisions optics and iron sights.Iwas just hoping to run both this year.Optics is first

Garrett

For outdoor use in bright sunlight at pistol / subgun distances, a larger dot is better. 6 MOA is probably ok, but 8 MOA is better.

I've played with a lot of red dot optics, and most of them have done pretty well, and a couple not so much.

Stuff that didn't work:
* A knock-off of the early JPoint (like a Fastfire, but less reliable). In addition to being very dim, the lens was not cut right, and the POI walked all over the place.
* I've got a FastFire II, that the dot completely disappears outdoors. I've cleaned the light sensor and changed batteries, but it won't go bright enough. I need to send it in, but haven't yet. If you get one of these, get the FF-III, and get the 8 MOA dot.
*EoTech (model 511?) Works, but just doesn't get bright enough. I can get a full refund, and probably should.

For stuff that works, the list is much longer:
* I still have a couple of the early Tasco Propoint scopes, and they're still going strong. One lives on a .22 rifle, and another gets moved around, including to subguns. These were from the '90s when they were made in Japan, not the current Chinese versions (which I have no experience with, so I can't comment).
* Another EoTech. Same model as above, but brightness is good. Positive - I like the big circle with the little dot in the middle. Negative - it's big, bulky, and heavy. This is currently on my MAX-31 upper.
* Bushnell TRS-25. I think I have 3 of these. Pretty good sight for the money. The dot could be bigger, but I've been able to use it in bright sunlight with no issue. Ive got one on an Uzi topcover. You can find them for $89, and I think PSA had them at $69 the other day.
* C-More Railway is probably my favorite "competition" red dot. It has dominated USPSA for around 20 years. Brightness is good, and you can get them in a variety of dot sizes. Occasionally if the sun is just wrong, you can loose the dot. This is true with any of the "tubeless" designs. I have one on my TASK slow fire upper, and I'm thinking of putting one on my MAX-11.
* C-More STS. Like a Fastfire, but with a big dot plenty bright, and has a "full brightness" switch. (The Glock dovetail slide mount works well but I'm finding the Beretta 92 mount sucks. The optic is good, though.
* Aimpoint Comp M2. Currently on the MAX-11. Doesn't have the battery life of the more expensive models. But then, I turned it off when not in use.
* Bushnell Holosight. Made back in the day by EoTech for Bushhnell. I wish these were still available, as they are smaller and lighter than the EoTech. Pozitive - it will handle my Desert Eagle .44 Mag. Negative - they use N batteries, which are smaller but less common than AA. Also, they slowly drain the batteries when not in use. I take them out when not using them.

Honestly, a number of the cheap $30-$50 red dots would work. You just need to make sure they are bright enough. Also make sure the dot doesn't wander. Set the optic on a table, and sight something throuh it at 25 to 50 yads away. Without touching it, move your head around. The dot will move within the scope, but it should stay right on what you sighted on. If it moves off your target, it's never going to shoot accuratly.

ETA : I seem to have a problem. Next time I see a good deal on an optic, just tell me to use what I already have.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter