Mag well, to take another mag?

Patrick Floyd

FFL/SOT
Has anyone make a mag well, to take another mag? Maybe, a Grease gun or, Thompson mag? We just got a M50, Its a great subgun. Mags are not cheap! I saw some years ago, at Knob Creek. Someone was making a mag well, for Grease gun mags. Anymore info??

Last edited:

gunguy45

There are clearance issues in trying to use a double stack mag.
Thats why the reising is double stack, single feed.
There are still Ken Christie mags out there to be had for $85.
I saw a box of them new in the plastic on saturday @ the Harrishurg, Pa. gun show.(about 30 mags.)
Dennis Todd of eastern Pa. had them.
I know people have tried conversions, but if memory serves, they are VERY complicated(read expensive).
Also, I never heard any reports on how well they worked.

EDIT
There is a thread on MACHINEGUNBOOKS.COM, it discusses 9mm conversion, also GG mag conversion.
It seems that when the mag ban went away that so did the incentive to make the change.
The 9mm conv. appears to have been done, with good result(?).

Last edited:

Patrick Floyd

FFL/SOT
Thanks for the reply. I saw at a gun show, someone made a Thopson mag, work with a M50. I don't know how he convertrd it. They look about the same to me. I need to get some Christie mags. I just have so many Thompson and, Grease gun mags laying around.

tony k

FFL/C&R
Patrick Floyd said:
Thanks for the reply. I saw at a gun show, someone made a Thopson mag, work with a M50. I don't know how he convertrd it. They look about the same to me. I need to get some Christie mags. I just have so many Thompson and, Grease gun mags laying around.

Ken Christie recently said he has stopped making his Reising mags and is moving on to making 10/22 accesssories instead, so you might want to pick some up while you can.

The problem with using mags other than the factory design in a Reising is that they must fit in the center slot in the action bar that runs from front to rear under the barrel/action. Grease Gun and unmodified Thompson mags are too wide -- they will jam the action bar, and you'll have a single-shot bolt action.

In theory, I guess you could widen the action bar's opening by thinning down the arms, but that will have two effects: It will weaken a crucial part of the SMG, and it will also increase the rate of fire significantly by lightening a key moving component.

Thompson mags can be modified by cutting the front and rear between the feed lips, squeezing them toward the center for the top inch-and-a-half or so, and then rewelding them in the new position. You also need to reform the mag follower to work in the now-narrower mag, and cut a new mag-catch hole. The resulting mag will hold 27-28 instead of the host Thompson mag's 30 rounds. It is a lot of work, and will require a fair amount of tuning when you're done before it feeds reliably.

Unless you have many hours of time on your hands, it's more effective to buy Christie mags or the aftermarket 20's that are out there for $50-$60. They sometimes require a bit of tuning, but it's nothing compared to what Thompsons require.

Patrick Floyd

FFL/SOT
Thanks Tony, That mag at the show was like 25 to, 26 rounds. 85 bucks for a mag after all of that don't seem all that high. With all the time in converting a Thompson, Its not worth it. I still might try it, for a feed tower, for BarrelXchange's 45 drums! lol Whats a good place to get Chistie mags??

tony k

FFL/C&R
The contact info for Ken Christie that I used was at http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=4707& I don't know if he stilll has any in stock.

If not, you're going to have to post a WTB or just follow the sales boards. Note, over on sturm a dealer has some listed ... at $125 each. :(

The $50 aftermarket 20-round mags usually keep their "tune" well and make good host feed towers for drums. You also could buy a pair and have a mag artist like Bustoff weld two of 'em together, which would prolly give you a 36-round mag.

BTW, having a full drum hanging below the long mag housing really changes the balance of a Reising. I first discovered this when using Suomi drum conversions on my M16/9mm. A fix would be to "raise" the position of the drum, which could be done by buying a spare feed tower and "drum-cutting" it, a la Thompsons, and using a shorter tower.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter