Matador Arms Mat-9K / Brownells BRN-9 Upper

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
T
I don't have a lot of experience with titanium AR firing pins. Never had one before. Matador Arms sent me a new one, same as the one that came with the upper although the length of other pins I measured in other guns. In studying the properties of titanium compared to the tool steel firing pins, I am not quite sold on the titanium firing pins. I put a tool steel firing pin in I bought from PSA. Lets see how it holds up.
Titanium parts only make sense if you are a very good, and serious, competition shooter.
They are a little lighter, which can help shave off a bit of time Match, but Titanium will eventually cause galling, which slows those parts down, and, as you've experienced, bending, etc
Unless you are willing to spend a lot of extra $, and are making a living as a top-tier Competitor who really benefits from the few thousandths of a seconds, and are willing to replace said parts with alarming regularity, just use steel.

CoffeeFreak

UZI Talk Life Member
T

Titanium parts only make sense if you are a very good, and serious, competition shooter.
They are a little lighter, which can help shave off a bit of time Match, but Titanium will eventually cause galling, which slows those parts down, and, as you've experienced, bending, etc
Unless you are willing to spend a lot of extra $, and are making a living as a top-tier Competitor who really benefits from the few thousandths of a seconds, and are willing to replace said parts with alarming regularity, just use steel.
I agree with the entire comment!

CoffeeFreak

UZI Talk Life Member
I figured it out. It works reliably now. Next on my to do list is CeraKote my upper and lower a burnt bronze and pick an optic. Thanks for your help.
Post a picture when you get that done please? We'd love to see it.

mak91

UZI Talk Supporter
Purpose of a titanium firing pin is to reduce the risk of a slam fire with soft primers. AR DI style 5.56x45 bolt systems do not have a firing pin spring and was designed for hard military primers, the 9mm bolts do or should have a spring. Where the titanium firing pins come in handy is with AR DI alternate calibers like 45acp or wildcats that use 5.56x45 brass and pistol primers.

CoffeeFreak

UZI Talk Life Member
Purpose of a titanium firing pin is to reduce the risk of a slam fire with soft primers. AR DI style 5.56x45 bolt systems do not have a firing pin spring and was designed for hard military primers, the 9mm bolts do or should have a spring. Where the titanium firing pins come in handy is with AR DI alternate calibers like 45acp or wildcats that use 5.56x45 brass and pistol primers.
Thanks for the explanation.

MPXGuy

My firing pin is bending. I agree the titanium firing pin is no bueno for the 9MM AR.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter