Mini Front Section - Repair or Replace

rentprop1

clean it up the best you can, when putting it all back together, I mean, your are gonna be right there with the tig and the rod, just sayin

Jones

Most of the "ugly/scary" is slag from the cutting torch which you're going to clean off anyway. Once that's cleared away, you'll have a better idea of just what needs to be filled or stitched to.
One handy thing to have/make is an aligning rod to keep the trunnion and feed ramp in line with each other. Copper weld backs will also help keep things lined up and lessen the chances you'll need a third or fourth hand.
Another suggestion is to look into a set of Kant Twist clamps. Far better than c-clamps for welding jobs.

https://ibb.co/S6htBdD

Much appreciated folks. I have a repair section, top cover, and grip stick on the way. Should all help with alignment and whatnot. I will also use a rod as suggested. I’ve welded and repaired worse on cars but this is my first uzi restoration attempt.

Jones

Projects like this can smell fear. Don't let it get the idea you're afraid of it. No matter if the name says Uzi or Pontiac, sheet metal is just sheet metal.

Ha, I was a certified welder for a handful of years and have my degree in Welding and Metal Fab. I am not worried about some metal massaging, I just haven't tackled something like this yet and was not certain if the front section would be able to be saved safely. It might be a little tricky in some spots for this front section but otherwise overall the rest of the receiver sections are nice. It's going to be a fun project. I've wanted this gun since I was a kid with a toy Uzi back in the 80's. Now I just need to stumble across some of the harder to find parts... got a folding stock and related parts laying around? Ha.

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
I think you have a great starting point

Jones

My hat's off to anybody who can weld. I tried stick welding once but everything I worked on ended up looking like a steel porcupine.

Keep us posted with your progress. Lots of people can be assemblers but true fabricators are kinda scarce... and to be appreciated.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CS8JZvZHHwg/?utm_medium=copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFxyroglNgQ/?utm_medium=copy_link

The mini was built from a completely hacked reciever, without using a repair section. It was cut through the trunnion and threads. I simply cleaned up the slag, threaded a nut onto what was left of the threads, and used a mini barrel as a welding jig to line things up as I repaired one spot at a time. I did the threaded section last... migged it whole, and then hogged out the inside to specs by hand with a dremel, and chased the threads with a dremel and needle file...

The micro was built using just a front trunnion, cutting into a mini bolt to clear the topcover, and a repair section. The rear sight section was built from scratch using a full size rear section that was shaved with a flap wheel to micro specs after the insides were lined up to match (micro uses thinner metal).

The lower is a full size lower, semi, that was built up to micro profile.

Last edited:

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter