My Sten Mk II(S)

GeneralPurpose

Now that my Sten Mk II(S) is complete, I wanted to share this great setup. It's a Taylor Mfg. tube in beautiful condition. I commissioned an integral silencer from Joe at Curtis Tactical, and it just so happened that Joe already had the design drawn up for his own Sten. The specs I proposed were identical to what he already had in mind.

It uses a shielded K-baffle setup where each baffle screws into the next, with a completely separate external tube, so the tube slides right off of the baffles. The 'rear cap' of the silencer is a regular Sten barrel nut, so the silencer retains the barrel and nothing loosens under fire. The barrel is ported to bleed gas off to make regular 9mm ammunition subsonic.

I finally picked up a bronze-aluminum bolt, completing the package. As far as I'm aware, the Sten Mk II(S) was the world's first silenced submachinegun. It certainly predated the MP5SD by about 30 years.

yf3e2rv.jpg

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
1. Good looking stick

2. The can is missing the wrap though.
IMG-1391.jpg

3. Do you have a video with the can?

GeneralPurpose

You know what, you're right. It needs a wrap to really be complete, although I would never put my support hand around the chamber.

I don't have any videos, but Machine Gun Mike/collegeboy is waiting on this exact silencer for his Sten and his videos are always awesome. He mentions it in his Grease Gun video, in which he has a Curtis Tactical silencer for it.

TheColtCollector

UZI Talk Life Member
Your set up looks awesome.

From a a guy who’s shoots a lot of powder coated lead the screw together baffle design to me is worthless. I have a can from them and it’s so hard to get apart it’s not worth shooting anymore. If he made cans without that feature I would buy more stuff from them.

Commander bond

Its a Mk 5 /.68 cal semi auto paint marker.

The zip ties (on the gun) were to assist in assembly when i was working on the gun. I have since made better paintball markers.

bCKLzFu.jpg

Last edited:

GeneralPurpose

Very nice!! Would love to see some pics of the suppressor internals.

I'll need to take it apart and get some pictures. Although, if you Google "Curtis Tactical silencers" the first few pictures are extremely good representations of the internals.

GeneralPurpose

It's a great silencer. Very quiet, but it also makes the gun shoot so smoothly. Between the additional weight and the ported barrel, it's a better platform all around and was one of the main attractions to the Sten for me.

My next gun will be an Uzi. It's too bad a ported barrel can't really work with the Uzi's design, because it's really changed the Sten for me.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
It's a great silencer. Very quiet, but it also makes the gun shoot so smoothly. Between the additional weight and the ported barrel, it's a better platform all around and was one of the main attractions to the Sten for me.

My next gun will be an Uzi. It's too bad a ported barrel can't really work with the Uzi's design, because it's really changed the Sten for me.

You could port the Uzi barrel forward of the Barrel Nut, but you wouldn't get the same efficiency as the STEN; probably better , cheaper, and much less hassle to stick with subsonic ammo. You'd probably need a custom built Silencer for the ported Uzi barrel anyway.
A Micro Uzi, OTOH..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter