Newbie Hello

Jeep38

Hello fellow Reising shooters!

My name is Mark and I live in Colorado. I've been collecting WWI and WWII handguns and rifles for a number of years, and recently made the jump into NFA weapons with a Reising M50. Being a former Marine I dearly love the Reising and it's brief history. Just yesterday I put about 700 rounds through the weapon using BSDEFT's (Biodegradable, Self-Disposing, Environmentally Friendly Targets) i.e. Pumpkins; and had a great time!

The weapon is a tad unusual, probably a "transition" M50 according to Frank Iannamico's book. It has a long stock with bottom swivels; fully parkerized with a 2nd generation receiver but a 28 fin barrel. It sports a 3 point stamped trigger guard, but a one-piece bumper plug assembly. The serial number reflects a late 1943 production date and the very mildly worn but consistent parkerization seems to indicate the parts are original to each other.

It was a little finicky at first with routine stopages and a broken firing pin, but a new firing pin from Numrich (and a couple spare) plus a detailed disassembly to replace all the worn springs with a new spring pack from Wolf's Gunsprings has it running like a top. While disassembled, I de-burred the connectors, sears and trigger parts; plus a real mild smoothing of the feed ramp.

I'm sure you folks have been through all this, but I also noted some of the 20 round magazine springs were getting a bit soft (hate when that happens). I checked with Wolf Gunsprings and found they have 30-round Thompson magazines springs that are called "+5%" and have about 5% additional tension for smoother feeding. (Stock #85252 at 7.99/each, or #85253 at 18.49 for three). The mag springs are virtually identical in size, geometry and pitch to the original Reising mag springs, so I cut the 30-round Thompson springs down to the appropriate size, and they work magnificently in Reising magazines.

During my last shoot I lost one of my compensator fins, an issue I've read about several times in this forum. Though the weapon now looks more like a "veteran" I would still be interested in replacing it down the road. I've checked with Sarco and Numrich but neither list any available compensators. Any thoughts on where I might be able to snarf one up?

Sorry to be so long-winded, but I've enjoyed reading this forum for quite some time and just wanted to say Hi.

Jeep38

Photos

Attached (hopefully) are three images of my critter. The sling is identical in design and size to the cotton web sling used by the Marines, however it is made of leather with heavy brass fittings.

Mark
Picture-003.jpg

Picture-006.jpg

Picture-008.jpg

SubGunFan

UZI Talk Life Member
Very nice pics.... of a VERY NICE looking Reising.

My Reising is an "S" S/N gun (made in 1957). Sorry to hear (and see) you lost a comp fin. The "USMC" on the stock is pretty cool.

Are all those 20rd mags? Have you tried a 30rd Christie mag? Well worth the money.

Now you need to get a M1 Thompson, 1919A4, M1918 BAR, and M3A1...... :)

MuzzleFlash

UZI Talk Life Member
Jeep

Welcome from a fellow Coloradan and Reising owner. You have a fine specimen that you can be very proud of. It sounds like you've done your homework. Welcome to the "club" and maybe I'll see you at one of the local shoots. Next one is up your way:

http://coloradoshooting.org/ipw-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=4839&highlight=

Sounds like there may be an emerging market for well made replacement comps. I'd buy one and so far, and I've not lost any fins yet (knock on wood).

Jeep38

SubGun Fan, those are 20 round magazines, 3 original and 2 are the aftermarket ones from Numrich. With higher compressions magazine springs and a little feed lip adjustment (to get a more "nose up" attitude on the top round) they feed wonderfully! Yes, I very much intend to snarf up at least two of the 30 round Christie magazines.

In the meantime, I checked around for a replacement compensator with the "ususal suspects". Numrich, Ohio Ordinance and SARCO all replied, very politely, that they don't currently have, nor have seen for a while, any compensators. I did check (on the phone, in person) with Dealer Showroom and was told he had a few VG 14 fin barrels with the compensator still attached. I also ordered up a spare used complete bolt and hammer figuring to keep the critter running as long as .45 ACP ammo is produced. Yesterday (Monday) I received the infamous USPS note in the mailbox that I have a parcel from Dealer Showroom waiting for me at the post office. I should have the package in hand this afternoon and will advise on the contents.

For what it's worth, I've heard mostly good about Dealer Showroom and a few poor comments, however, I've received only the best service and am quite impressed. Great conversations with him on the phone, and he seems extremely knowledgable.

More later.

Mark

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter