Question on importers of firearms

Paul Kersey

I have a Galil model 372. It was one that originally imported via Magnum Research but was sold through Action Arms (I believe these are referred to as "Transition Guns"). There is an area on the left side of the receiver where the "Magnum Research" info was and was slightly milled out removing "Magnum Research" and replaced with a "Action Arms" stamping. The same was done for the prefex of the serial number- The "MR" was milled out and "AA" replaced it. This milling out would have removed the finish in those areas, so I assume Action Arms refinished the receiver? That would imply that the gun would have to stripped down so the receiver could be "reparked" and then whatever finish was used over the Parkerization. Did Action Arms employ the same process of finish on the receiver as the factory in Israel? Were the Action Arms employees that did this "factory trained" by IMI using the same tooling?

I realize many guns are in the same situation that had to have stampings and markings after they were imported but prior to sale. It's just one of those questions I have always wondered about. :O)

Last edited:

JohnnyBfromAZ

The importer markings were most likely redone prior to import, but I think you might be giving IMI too much credit on the finish. I have closely inspected a few MR/AA guns, and none of them had a finish that I would categorize as "great." The paint used was some sort of cheap epoxy based paint (I have been told it was appliance paint, but could not verify this), and the thickness varies wildly. Mostly it seems to have been applied super thick, which tends to promote chipping in some areas prone to impact.

jurist

IMI marked the guns for Magnum Research and Action Arms There's a solid chance that the receivers weren't actually refinished but IMI but rather the markings were changed before the firearm receiver was finished.

Bret

I have a Springfield Armory imported 392 that was remarked in a similar manner. Simply because the serial number was changed, I always assumed that the remarking was done at the factory prior to paint.

Paul Kersey

Thank you all for your replies.

I agree the factory finish leaves something to be desired, but I assumed this was the same finish the IDF Military guns has?

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter