Ruger does it again!!

JasonAC556

UZI Talk Life Member
Ok, just read a post on another site that made me feel even better about Ruger's customer service.

This fellow sent his shorty folder to Ruger for repairs. Turns out his receiver was cracked and unrepairable!

Guess what they did? They sent him a NEW IN BOX (Never opened pre 86) AC556 to replace his destroyed rifle. Yea, he had to pay the ATF another $200 for a new stamp, but he got a brand new gun in its place.

This is the second time in as many years I have heard of this. Ruger seems to be doing a good job at making customers happy.

I wonder if Colt would do this for an M16?

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
JasonAC556 said:
I wonder if Colt would do this for an M16?
I've seen a Colt replacement here in town. Not that it's receiver needed replacement like Rugers sometimes do, but he got an upgrade from a transferable M16 to a brand new M4 complete with the same serial number so no new tax stamp. Yes, he knew someone at the factory, but it can and does happen.

Hey, you asked, and the answer is yes.

I also wonder how many transferable receivers are left in Ruger's stash. The rumor mill says not many, but who knows. I've heard this replacement story several times over the years and I think it's wonderful. I've never heard where the stress point is that cracks. Any guesses?

JasonAC556

UZI Talk Life Member
Vegas SMG said:
I've seen a Colt replacement here in town. Not that it's receiver needed replacement like Rugers sometimes do,

First, I'm not into this whole "AC556 v/s M16" nonsense. I could easily have purchased an M16 if I had wanted one. I like the AC556 better; just my personal preference. Different people have different taste. No need to take a cheap shot at the Ruger just because it isn't to your taste.

Vegas SMG said:
but he got an upgrade from a transferable M16 to a brand new M4 complete with the same serial number so no new tax stamp.

I think this is of dubious legality. Not to say the ATF might not have been too upset about it when it happened, but they have let it be known clearly that this practice is highly frowned upon.

Vegas SMG said:
Yes, he knew someone at the factory, but it can and does happen. Hey, you asked, and the answer is yes.

I fail to see the correlation between a personal favor from a "friend", and standard company policy that is available to any legal owner of that company’s product. In other words, if I (without any inside connection) were to contact Colt for factory service of my M16, what would the response be?

Vegas SMG said:
I also wonder how many transferable receivers are left in Ruger's stash. The rumor mill says not many, but who knows. I've heard this replacement story several times over the years and I think it's wonderful.

I don't know, but it seems rather insightful of a company to be conscientious enough about it's customer base to actually forgo profit in the name of customer service by holding back an item that could bring them great monetary gain.

Vegas SMG said:
I've never heard where the stress point is that cracks. Any guesses?

Here is a portion of the original thread:

rcpointer

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:54 am Post subject: AC 556 Transfer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ateamrob wrote:
good for you bud. Thats GREAT!!!

how does that work with the ATF and having it registered seeing as its a whole new Machine gun? Do you have to do another F4 and pay another 200tax seeing as the one you no longer have is not in your posssesion anymore? And the new one is not registered to you?

I am sure you have all your bases covered I am just curious how that works.

Good deal though bud. I am glad you made out good with it. Brand new stainless factory folder?

What Ruger did was notify me the receiver had a premature cracked web ( whatever that is ) and I would need to cut a check to ATF for $200.00 for a new tax stamp in order for them to transfer a new receiver to me.
That concerned me so I called ATF and they told me that Ruger kept back a limited few receivers that were transferable for warranty purposes and I would have to transfer my damaged receiver to Ruger and that it would be destroyed ( CRINGE ). Filled out all the paperwork and sent into Ruger who then sent to ATF. Couple of months later got the paperwork back from ATF saying the transfer of my receiver had gone thru. I then sent that paperwork to Ruger keeping a copy for myself and they sent it to ATF along with my $200.00 check and I waited expecting to get a used receiver back on my AC556. Called Ruger a couple of months later knowing my check had been cashed by ATF and they told me it was still pending. A month later I got a call from Ruger saying it had been shipped and would be there the next day. When I opened the box there it was brand new pre 86 AC556 with a new tax stamp and transfer paper . No picture on the form 4 but ATF said to just keep it with my original form 4. Well thats the story and I have to admit I was nervous thru the whole thing. Now I got to buy another one to shoot . And yes it was a brand new stainless factory folder with all the goodies that come with it new. I'm clling Ruger Mon. morning and fins out the exact date it was manufactured.
Will keep you posted. In the meantime anyone out there want to part with there AC556 on form 4 in VA shoot me over a PM.

3Dreamin

Pretty good service but also makes you wonder how many they have/sucks that you have to "destroy" one to get another one out of them.....

So did the NIB get shipped from Ruger right to owner?? Is it still considered a "repair" or does it need a dealer??? just wondering....

JasonAC556

UZI Talk Life Member
3Dreamin said:
Pretty good service but also makes you wonder how many they have/sucks that you have to "destroy" one to get another one out of them.....

So did the NIB get shipped from Ruger right to owner?? Is it still considered a "repair" or does it need a dealer??? just wondering....

New rifle shipped directly to the owner. ATF considered this a "repair" so no dealer required.

I also think it stinks that you have to destroy the old receiver to get a new one....but it would suck even more to be stuck with a $6000 paperweight!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter