SMG Bolt Dimple in the firing pin

Chef

Registered bolt...
That's unfortunate.
After seeing your initial post and the pictures, I would have echoed others and recommended just replacing the bolt, but since it is the MG, you really have no other alternative then to have it repaired.
Not only is your firing pin in bad shape, the ring around it from gas blowby is deeply pitted as well, and that's not a good thing.
I couldn't take a guess at how much longer it will last, but it looks like it's seen 10's of thousands of rounds and from the pitting, a lot of it from handloads or cheap ammo.

Slowmo

Just out of curiosity, what do your primers look like in fired cases? Not sure if that could tell us something about what is going on.

Vector Arms

Does anyone else have an SMG bolt with a dimple in the firing pin?
I'm having FTF issues and I don't know if it's broken or manufactured like this. It looks almost too perfect to be broken.

View attachment 39205
Thanks
Is this an IMI registered bolt?
I have seen thousands of IMI Uzi bolts and I have never seen a dimpled firing pin.
The IMI bolt is heat treated to survive the striking force needed to endure the harden primers of IMI "Hot" Israel SMG ammunition and is extremely hard.
We have tried to covert IMI FA bolts to SA, but the bolts are so hard that they eat our tooling.
You cannot replace a registered bolt. I wish you could because I would be glad to sell you one.
Contact us via our business email: directblowback@gmail.com and we will see if we can help you.

T

Dirk Hawthorne

I'd skip Federal 100 and 100M. M in this case stands for match, not magnum. Guys who shoot guns with light hammer strikes love Federals. A sensitive primer is about the last thing you'd want in an open bolt gun. Not just perfs, think OOB.

Since your gun is already perf-ing primers I'd skip SPPs and use SRPs. CCI 400 SR primers are good. WSRs are as well.

And/or at least give Rem 6-1/2s a try before dismissing because the 1-1/2s didn't work well. They are definitely not loose in our 9mm pockets. Quite the opposite, I can't get them to seat below flush in Norma .38 Spl brass, so run them down with a RCBS ram prime. Sick of doing that, so I discard Norma brass. Anyway, 6-1/2s have never loosened in 9 for us, and we loaded a variety of headstamps.

ETA: our Glocks have no trouble with 6-1/2s. Interestingly, have several thou Adcom Nato 9mm. Stuff misfires regularly in Glocks, but runs an Uzi like a sewing machine.
has anyone ever had a full auto UZI pop off a 9mm round prematurely due to the primer being a pistol primer?

seems kind of unlikely

when you buy ammo like speer lawman, it's going to have a regular CCI pistol primer in it

do you not shoot factory ammo in your UZI?

Samuel_Hoggson

Dirk, I've shot about every brand of factory there is or was. No issues over decades and thousands of rounds. It's not a floating firing pin issue, as with M-16s.

As explained to me, it's a) the occasional high primer and, b) pressures to which some folks like to run SMG 9mm.

I stopped loading 9 for SMGs, but for a different reason: getting neck tension so to avoid telescoping is not as easy as with .45 ACP. Got sick of sorting brass by mfg in order to get uniform tension. Then I looked at current component cost vs just buying FMJ practice ammo.

Dirk Hawthorne

I never had a problem with neck tension. I generally reload LRN and put a really heavy taper crimp on it.

I always crimp in a separate station from seating

loading 9mm is kind of a waste of time when you can buy decent bulk ammo for 22 cents a round

I think my reloading cost is like 17 cents a round.

if you shoot 10 mags the cost difference is like 15 dollars.

CKxx

I never had a problem with neck tension. I generally reload LRN and put a really heavy taper crimp on it.

I always crimp in a separate station from seating

loading 9mm is kind of a waste of time when you can buy decent bulk ammo for 22 cents a round

I think my reloading cost is like 17 cents a round.

if you shoot 10 mags the cost difference is like 15 dollars.

The big difference comes into play with 147gr subsonic. It's often obscenely expensive off the shelf.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter