Interarms "pre-86" Uzi SMG's - import date range?

PA32

I've used the search function on this site, but have not found an answer to this question. (Though I admit I'm not as sharp with technology as the youngsters amongst us!) .............

Does anyone know the approx date range that Interarms imported IMI manufactured Uzi SMG's? Mine is parkerized and clearly marked Interarms Alexandria Virginia on the left side of the receiver. It also has IMI in a small oval under the serial number. I would like to clearly establish that these SMG's were only imported during a certain date range, so I am specifically interested in any documentation - books, articles, website (link?) - that discusses the Interams import timeframe for these. Any help or info on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Chef

What date range are you hoping for and why?
All pre-samples are imported after 1968 and before 1986. Are you hoping it was imported before 1974 so you can call it a "C&R"?

PA32

What date range are you hoping for and why?
All pre-samples are imported after 1968 and before 1986. Are you hoping it was imported before 1974 so you can call it a "C&R"?
I'd be really surprised if it is a pre-'68 (but of course very happy about it!); I'm about 99% sure it is a pre-1986 import. However, I would like to find a source that has some written reference to - or documentation of - that fact, something that lists the date range of Interarms imports of these. Maybe someone knows when Action Arms started importing the Uzi SMG's? I'd guess they started doing that after Interarms stopped importing them? Has anyone written the "definitive" book on the Uzi SMG that discusses - obviously, among other things - who imported them into the USA, and when?

slimshady

Yep, according to the site owner's book (available for sale here too) the CIA had Interarms (some say Interarms was the CIA's arms dealing division) import some for evaluation in 1962, these were sourced from FN through Browning arms, their US import agent. They then had a few more orders totaling around 3,000 guns, later ones sourced from IMI and most went back out of the country again. The Secret Service also ordered some from Interarms around 1968. From then on the US government bought plenty of UZIs, almost every embassy was stocked with them by the State Department. About 1971 Interarms started selling dealer samples to FFLs and continued supplying guns until about 1980 when Action Arms became the exclusive UZI importer in the US.

He also gives some serial ranges, early 60s had 5 digit numbers in the 98,000 range. 1968, 6 digit numbers with a leading zero and 51,000 range. Early 70s, 7 digit number with 2 leading zeros and 56,000 range. By the time AA began importing they had 6 digits with a leading zero and 98,000 range. It is believed IMI sequentially numbered all export MGs, so huge gaps exist in US examples. Interarms brought in maybe 1,000 dealer samples during the 1970s, but they weren't exclusive so others brought them in too.

Get the book, lots of interesting info and pictures.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter