Looking for a max-31 mag adapter

GunsCarsPlanes

Are you talking about the Max-11S or the Max-11SK? I thought the Max-11S was for semi-auto M11/9s, but I could be wrong.
I'm confused by the pricing for these upper receivers:

- MAX-11k Upper Receiver #509 and MAX-11k Mod 1 Upper Receiver #526 (both come with Lage slow fire bolt, multiple rates of fire to choose from) are priced at $875.
- MAX-11Sk Upper Receiver #527 and MAX-11Sk Mod 1 #528 (no bolt included) are priced at $525.

Why would anyone choose the versions without a bolt, given the significant cost of purchasing one separately (around $750-$2900)? The $350 savings seem minimal in comparison. Am I missing something, or is this pricing illogical?

Lage states the #527 & #528 are both machine gun uppers and great to use with your CF-W slow fire bolt. Maybe there are people out there who don't care if they have 1 bolt for a bunch of uppers and they'd much rather save the $350? Sounds like the CF-W bolts will never be made again and if so they'll be $1000-$1500+. I wonder how Lage makes their slow fire bolts, are they all that different from CF-W's?

With the Sten mags the 2 hard parts are slightly squishing the mag front to back then locating the tab. I basically tin the tabs before install then align the clamp into place with a cowboy...
I wouldn't mind taking a swing at the Sten mags, I'll outsource the 3d printing. Not sure how a 3d printed plastic tab could get soldered onto the Sten mag. How did you even find the metal tabs, they seem as rare as the CF-W bolt. I wonder if a jig of some sort exists like how would I know with certainty that I'm soldering stuff in the exact correct place.

Last edited:

Slowmo

- MAX-11k Upper Receiver #509 and MAX-11k Mod 1 Upper Receiver #526 (both come with Lage slow fire bolt, multiple rates of fire to choose from) are priced at $875.
- MAX-11Sk Upper Receiver #527 and MAX-11Sk Mod 1 #528 (no bolt included) are priced at $525.

Why would anyone choose the versions without a bolt, given the significant cost of purchasing one separately (around $750-$2900)? The $350 savings seem minimal in comparison. Am I missing something, or is this pricing illogical?

Lage states the #527 & #528 are both machine gun uppers and great to use with your CF-W slow fire bolt. Maybe there are people out there who don't care if they have 1 bolt for a bunch of uppers and they'd much rather save the $350? Sounds like the CF-W bolts will never be made again and if so they'll be $1000-$1500+. I wonder how Lage makes their slow fire bolts, are they all that different from CF-W's?

I wouldn't mind taking a swing at the Sten mags, I'll outsource the 3d printing. Not sure how a 3d printed plastic tab could get soldered onto the Sten mag. How did you even find the metal tabs, they seem as rare as the CF-W bolt. I wonder if a jig of some sort exists like how would I know with certainty that I'm soldering stuff in the exact correct place.
I wanna say the Max-11sk with CFW bolt shoots slower than a Max-11k (I can’t recall for sure), so some may prefer that. I think you can also use the Max-11sk with your factory bolt if you don’t care about slowing down the ROF.

ETA:
This demonstrates the difference:

Last edited:

Deerhurst

I make the metal tabs. I currently have 5 left. Let me know and I'll drop some in an envelope.

A jig probably wouldn't be too difficult. Little 6061 aluminum to locate it then cowboy clamp it in place and remove the jig. I did all of mine with calipers. I measured a Suomi drum and a Shockwave mag for where the locking surface is in relation to the top of the feed lips, centered them in the middle of the mag and silver soldered them on. I've done about a dozen tab installs for myself.

I'd love to promise a timeframe for getting a jig figured out though I cannot, I'm in the middle of planning a wedding.

Best part about brazing or silver solder is if it's not in the right spot just heat it up and move it.

Doobis

I made a file for the tabs you can download.

I have jb welded a tab on a sten mag. Its still on there going strong. I also cast tabs out of zink. Zink is heavy but its as strong as aluminum. I bolt and JB weld those on as well. If you replace the sten mag spring and get the feed lips right the sten mags work great.

GunsCarsPlanes

I wanna say the Max-11sk with CFW bolt shoots slower than a Max-11k
The CF-W bolt def seems a tiny bit slower, I like the CF-W rof equally as much as the Lage slow fire rate. I'd be 100% content with either, what I'd not be happy with is paying almost $3000 for a single bolt hahah.

Yes you can use the OEM bolt in two less expensive uppers, I was chatting with Lage quite a bit yesterday haha. Maaaaatter of fact I placed an order for the Max11k that comes with a slow fire bolt and 3 or 4 different slow rates of fire with the Lage buffer system (buffer system is give or take $20). I was surprised when they told me I'm around #25 on the list so the wait will be pretty good; 1 to 2 months!! That's pretty darn quick to me considering the CF-W dream.

I make the metal tabs. I currently have 5 left.
Congrats on the wedding, I will PM you

Here is the mag well insert
Thank you so much, I truly appreciate the share. I'm not a spring expert by any means but in theory if I order replacement "grip" springs I can just use those right? https://www.max-11.com/163.php

I wish you guys lived in Indiana! Fun group to go Rambo with on some paper targets.
I wished you guys lived in

Last edited:

Deerhurst

Congrats on the wedding, I will PM you
Thank you! Met her when I bought my first suppressor and she was the sales person behind the counter.

Saw your PM. Replied. Pretty sure I have another bit of stock blanked out for tabs. That stock should be good for another 8-10 tabs. Hardest part is the angle cut due to how I have to hold it in the vise. Tends to flex the thin material and goes funky in the middle. I'm not a fan. I need to look into different fixturing for that. I wouldn't mind a sine plate!!!

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
I have the mac31 that uses drum mags. I have 2 of the soumi drums.

strobro32 - Yeah that's what I figured, the fore grip installed up front will held with the cocked wrist. Sometimes I just don't want to run the drums but I am aware it is what it is and I need to deal with it unless I can get a magwell adapter or I'm ok spending money on a 3rd type of magazine for the gun

doobis - wow! I'll reach out via PM

They don't sell the max 31 anymore. Only the 31c. Get the older one with the 8"barrel and you don't need to cock your hand.

Like this

Slowmo

They don't sell the max 31 anymore. Only the 31c. Get the older one with the 8"barrel and you don't need to cock your hand.

Like this
Are you sure about that? They still have the long version on their website for the M10 and M11/9, though neither is currently in stock. I just got on the waitlist for the long M10/31 two days ago. I know they discontinued the longer Max-31 for the M11 (.380).

https://www.max-11.com/504.php

GunsCarsPlanes

have another bit of stock blanked out for tabs
Oh jeepers dude you're like making them from stock, its impressive that can create stuff like that.

Get the older one with the 8"barrel and you don't need to cock your hand.
You hit the nail on the head, I have the 31c not the mk2 with the longer front grip area. Now it's making sense and yes, I DEF wish I had the longer version. Hopefully attaching a foregrip on the 31c will help because if not that's gonna stink come drum mag time.

I get real value out of seeing the literal smile after someone shoots, esp FA

root

UZI Talk Supporter
GunsCarsPlanes if we can do this you can TOO!

Even with hand tools you can make a few for personal use.
All the hard work ( figuring it out ) has been done.
I think it was member Concord that provided prints of the tab for those that didn't have a suomi tab to copy.

DeerHurst I mount the stock righ th the table and use a shim on one side to lift it & T nuts to hold the mess down.

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
Are you sure about that? They still have the long version on their website for the M10 and M11/9, though neither is currently in stock. I just got on the waitlist for the long M10/31 two days ago. I know they discontinued the longer Max-31 for the M11 (.380).

https://www.max-11.com/504.php
You may be right. I was thinking about the baby Mac.

Deerhurst

Oh jeepers dude you're like making them from stock, its impressive that can create stuff like that.

You hit the nail on the head, I have the 31c not the mk2 with the longer front grip area. Now it's making sense and yes, I DEF wish I had the longer version. Hopefully attaching a foregrip on the 31c will help because if not that's gonna stink come drum mag time.

I get real value out of seeing the literal smile after someone shoots, esp FA
It's not all that difficult. Having a milling machine makes it pretty easy. I just get flat steel plate, cut the profile then band saw them and finish them to final width.

Doing stuff like this is one of the reasons I am putting together a small machine shop.

Deerhurst

GunsCarsPlanes if we can do this you can TOO!

Even with hand tools you can make a few for personal use.
All the hard work ( figuring it out ) has been done.
I think it was member Concord that provided prints of the tab for those that didn't have a suomi tab to copy.

DeerHurst I mount the stock righ th the table and use a shim on one side to lift it & T nuts to hold the mess down.
T nuts for holding it to cut the 30°? pretty sure it's 30° where the catch touches the tab.

Probably would be way easier to just get a 60° cutter than fixturing it 30° with angle blocks like I do.

I'd be very interested in seeing photos of your fixturing!.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
deerhurst I'd be intersted in just seeing it.

Right now everything is in milk crates, wooden boxes, boxes, and pallets.

Moving sucks.

Deerhurst

deerhurst I'd be intersted in just seeing it.

Right now everything is in milk crates, wooden boxes, boxes, and pallets.

Moving sucks.
Dang. I hear ya!

I could always rotate the head but I don't like having to tram everything all the time.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
My best descroiption deerhurst would be i cut up a stick of 3- 1 1/2 inch,alum on a table say @ 30 degrees and made a triangle.
Then milled it flat for finish and milled two slots across the bottom for the t slots.
Run it across that pop it off mount on the table next to itand mill thd flat lower end.

Just had a guy ask me about milling suomi kp31 trunnions today.

Same answer mill isn't setup and the jig is in a box I do know where the rotary table is though lol

Between you and him though it did prompt me to go and set the mill in place at least so now it't off the pallet and where it belongs.
Long way from being usable though. I underfigured the spot and have to move shelving for the powerfeed and table.

And that means I have to move a lot of RC buggies off the shelves just to move the shelves never mind like you said traming it in and everything else.

but ya anyone can convert the sten mags without fancy machines,just more labor & time.

Deerhurst

My best descroiption deerhurst would be i cut up a stick of 3- 1 1/2 inch,alum on a table say @ 30 degrees and made a triangle.
Then milled it flat for finish and milled two slots across the bottom for the t slots.
Run it across that pop it off mount on the table next to itand mill thd flat lower end.

Just had a guy ask me about milling suomi kp31 trunnions today.

Same answer mill isn't setup and the jig is in a box I do know where the rotary table is though lol

Between you and him though it did prompt me to go and set the mill in place at least so now it't off the pallet and where it belongs.
Long way from being usable though. I underfigured the spot and have to move shelving for the powerfeed and table.

And that means I have to move a lot of RC buggies off the shelves just to move the shelves never mind like you said traming it in and everything else.

but ya anyone can convert the sten mags without fancy machines,just more labor & time.
That makes sense. You made a fixture to set the angle. I should do that.

I had my mill on a pallet for a while. More of a skid. That poor skid was never the same. I have a BP Series 1 HD. It's an old T Ram tracer mill. Weighs almost double what a standard Series 1 does. It's a monster. The skid wasn't happy. Pretty jealous you have a rotary. I want one badly.

And RC buggies, now you have my attention! I was hardcore into scale crawler until my crawling buddy died a few years back. Also did RC Ultra 4, 4wd class short course and indoor 1/16 scale short course. Recently got into large scale.

But now I'm off topic!

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter