not a mac question but i value your opinions none the less

komodoj

UZI Talk Life Member
To be honest, that's probably your best bet. Do a Form1 SBS efile (25-35day turnaround) then make your SBS once Atf approved! It will save you a good three or so months and it will give you a sense of pride of customizing it yourself IMHO!! Good luck either way. Another fyi contact member Schnitzeraffe he has a lot of insight in this category of SBS's

I have contacted serbu 5-6 times in the last few weeks, and have gotten answers quicker than I imagined, and before this post, had no clue about SHF (thanks for that heads up), I also learned about black aces, and I think that is the route I might go. It was pointed out to me by another member here, that with wait times what they are, double transfers being the devil torture to NFA items, and the speed of efile, it might be better for me to buy a base shotgun, get the parts to mod it myself, e-file a form 1 and have my shorty back quicker. I am looking at buying a black aces base model and doing that because I think more than 3 rounds is way better, even if it will only ever be a range gun and a noise maker.

I am still taking everything you experts (and some lunatics) have to offer for advice, so please keep putting in your $.02 and when I win the lottery, I'll buy everyone ammo for their toys.

QM

smdub

UZI Talk Life Member
If you're going to go through the expense of a mag fed SBS, why not just start w/ a vepr/saiga... Semi auto to boot.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
got any information on making them SBS? links, parts, etc?

No parts needed, just Form 1 Approval & a way to cut the barrel!
If you want a bead or blade(rifle type) front sight, take the UNCUT barrel to local gunsmith & have the sight installed 1/2" behind the length you will cut. When you get your Form 1 back approved, cut the bbl! You'll already have the sight, so you're ready to shoot!
PM me if you have questions about cutting the barrel (what to use, how to ensure the cut is straight, finishing the muzzle, or anything else!

CoffeeFreak

UZI Talk Life Member
Ive thought about modding my Wingmaster but It's 20 inch barrel is just so sweet and It's my primary home defense gun. But nothing without serious collector value is safe from modding I own. :D

Last edited:

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
Ive thought about modding my Wingmaster but It's 16 inch barrel is just so sweet and It's my primary home defense gun. But nothing without serious collector value is safe from modding I own. :D

Coffee, is this your SBS or a typo,Re: bbl length?

armorer2660809

I am at almost 60 days on form 1 efile for PS90 sbr, check NFA tracker the Form 1 efile times are going up so this is consistent with everyone else lately. Form 4's are less than 90 days. Efile will intersect form 4 at somepoint next month. You may want to rethink efile if you are trying to save time.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
Just a mistake. It's actually a 20" barrel. But now that I'm looking at it a 16" barrel would be nice. :D

View attachment 29497

I like what this guy did to his.

View attachment 29498

That's a cool SBS! I just don't see dropping $200 for a 16" bbl; you're only 2" shorter than Non-NFA ,but to each his own!
One of my buddies has a 12" 870 that is AWESOME! TOTALLY "tricked out",(folding stock, sidesaddle, tritium sight,etc) He got the basic shotgun from a relative, & didn't have a lot of $ in it, so he took the difference between it vs buying a new one& bought neat stuff!

Super Dak©

DSC_4594_zps0rdlcgcp.jpg

With the drum mag, does it get in he way when you cycle the pump? Just looks like it would/might. I've got a 14" Benelli M2 tactical, and a 12" Street Sweeper that's 20" with the stock folded, but no pump shotguns any more.
I've seen SS that were cut down much more (like 2" bbl) with and without a stock. This guys auction (for 3 Strykers) also shows a 2" Stryker pistol (the 3 he's selling are 12", 12" and a 2" with a stock) The 12 shot pistol (like this, and the .410 ladies home companion) looks like it would be pretty heavy IMHO. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=474564951

CoffeeFreak

UZI Talk Life Member
That's a cool SBS! I just don't see dropping $200 for a 16" bbl; you're only 2" shorter than Non-NFA ,but to each his own!
One of my buddies has a 12" 870 that is AWESOME! TOTALLY "tricked out",(folding stock, sidesaddle, tritium sight,etc) He got the basic shotgun from a relative, & didn't have a lot of $ in it, so he took the difference between it vs buying a new one& bought neat stuff!

12" is a little bit too short for my tastes. But I like the the 14 inch SBS in this vdeo. 16" would let me use a 3 round mag extension without it overhanging the barrel that's why I like a 16"er. I like the look of this 14" though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_d--VmZZ1U

I like the look of the wooden furniture too.

Schnitzeraffe

With the drum mag, does it get in he way when you cycle the pump? Just looks like it would/might.

No it does not.

Safety Harbor's normal barrel length on their Mossy built KEG12 is 7".

Walter built this one at 8 3/8" and purposely designed the slide assembly to keep your hand far enough forward to minimize contact with the drum.

With that said, it does feel more comfortable with the stick mags and 10 rounds is more than enough.

But the drum does add a little "oh shit" factor to it. ;)

Black Aces builds theirs with the fore grip canted off to the left to minimize interference, but I don't like the looks of that set up.

Schnitzeraffe

Ive thought about modding my Wingmaster but It's 20 inch barrel is just so sweet and It's my primary home defense gun. But nothing without serious collector value is safe from modding I own. :D

Nothing's safe from modification in my home.

Not even this beautiful old mid '80s 870 Magnum.

Took 1.5" of the stock and 18" off the barrel.

Now the barrel is about 10" and the OAL is just under 32".

Since the choke was removed with most of the barrel, I've had it threaded for factory Remchokes and it currently utilizes a modified choke to pay homage to his roots (ie - the choke matches the stamping on the barrel :D).

DSC_4597_zpsjipf6bzp.jpg

DistalRadius

No parts needed, just Form 1 Approval & a way to cut the barrel!

Well that would certainly create an SBS, unfortunately it would only be a straight-pull repeater without doing the associated gas-port resizing, bolt profiling, and/or gas-system shortening (depending on exactly how short you want to go). Just chopping the bbl on an Vepr/Saiga will NOT result in a functional firearm; theres much more finesse to it than that, especially if you want it to run light loads.

Here is mine. Its an 8" Saiga-12 SBS'd by Tromix back when they were about the only game in town. Its a beast.

DSC0522550_zpsf8d38a09.jpg

If you want to talk to an expert on the subject I recommend you give Leland at Sierra Ordnance Company a call. He does great work and is priced very competitively. Here is a sweet "bare-bones" Saiga-12 SBS he recently did:

_MG_0089-1_zps6ee403c1.jpg

But starting with the Vepr as a host gives you all kinds of great options too, they're pretty wicked. Wish these had been available when I picked up mine.

259586_original.jpg

Sid T.

UZI Talk Life Member
Or you can buy a KelTec KSG and fit it with whatever toys take your fancy.

15 rounds of 2-3/4" 12 gage and an overall length of 29" including the flash hider and Limbsaver stock pad.

Attachments

• KSG+1.jpg
    KSG+1.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 67

Schnitzeraffe

Or you can buy a KelTec KSG and fit it with whatever toys take your fancy.

15 rounds of 2-3/4" 12 gage and an overall length of 29" including the flash hider and Limbsaver stock pad.

My little brother picked one of those up a few weeks ago.

I haven't got to test ride it yet.

I was intrigued when they first came out, but due to Kel Tec's unobtanium issues I couldn't find one for much under $2000 at the time! :silly

So I picked up a Bullpup Unlimited kit for one of my 870s instead.

Now that they're more reasonable I'll probably get one if I like my brother's.

Sid T.

UZI Talk Life Member
My little brother picked one of those up a few weeks ago.

I haven't got to test ride it yet.

I was intrigued when they first came out, but due to Kel Tec's unobtanium issues I couldn't find one for much under $2000 at the time! :silly

So I picked up a Bullpup Unlimited kit for one of my 870s instead.

Now that they're more reasonable I'll probably get one if I like my brother's.

You're lucky you couldn't find one of the 1st generation because they had lots of issues, but the current 2nd generation are great.

Just remember to full cycle the action, short stroking can cause a jam (now where have I heard that before?).

I'm happy with mine and it even patterns well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter