not a mac question but i value your opinions none the less

quasimodem

For no real reason other than I am insane, I want a shorty shotgun from serbu arms... (hold your judgements) I just have no idea which action is better Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. So I am requesting your valued opinions in this non FA item.

TIA

QM

zipakna

UZI Talk Life Member
damn they bumped up their prices on those. now $1050 for it. i bought mine with 500 action for $650. to each their own really i like the safety being on top and back.. a few of us bought them a while back, the 870 is a little heavier and 'Tim' had his 870 surbu try to do a double feed and it jammed up really good..
here is a buddy 'Glenn' shooting a surbu 500.. at the time, there was NO hangin' with us unless you pumped a 3" magnum slug through one, one handed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1t7pYHE9UU

Concorde

Moderator, UZI Talk Life Member,
The Mossberg and Remington are both good base guns have their fans... they're really more-or-less equivalent.

There are lower cost similar quality alternatives to the Serbu if you're going super shorty... look at these.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
Biggest functional difference is safety location. If you're gonna use a "pistol grip",whether alone or with a stock, the 870 is easier. If using a "regular" shotgun stock, the 500 is easier.
Or go with which safety feels more natural to you.

Chrisok1

I have a serbu 870 super shorty and I like it. The one thing I recommend is the knoxx recoil reducing pistol grip. It makes the gun less punishing to shoot. As far as rem vs mossberg, I like both as long as it is not a pistol grip. With a pistol grip it is awkward to work the safety on the mossberg. For this reason, I chose the 870.

LawBob

I have a serbu 870 super shorty and I like it. The one thing I recommend is the knoxx recoil reducing pistol grip. It makes the gun less punishing to shoot. As far as rem vs mossberg, I like both as long as it is not a pistol grip. With a pistol grip it is awkward to work the safety on the mossberg. For this reason, I chose the 870.

what's the point of a super shorty with a stock...

stoyan79

With these tiny shotguns, weight is your friend, 870 is heavier.

CoffeeFreak

UZI Talk Life Member
I have the 870. The Mossberg is nice but for some reason I always liked a steel receiver on a shotgun.

theduke

UZI Talk Life Member
what's the point of a super shorty with a stock...

I think you ment to say WITHOUT a stock.

I'd go for one of these over a serbu type.

SBR_11.JPG

Concorde

Moderator, UZI Talk Life Member,
I've got a super shorty AOW Rem 870 with 7" barrel coming, but here's my sawed down (yes, I did it myself with a hacksaw and drilled, tapped and reinstalled the bead sight) Mossberg (15" barrel):

Model50440s.jpg

I find that the Shockwave Technologies' birds head style grip is much more comfortable to shoot than a standard vertical pistol grip.

zero99z

I'd recommend the mossberg action. It's easier to add a mag kit to it, if you want a mag fed super shorty (I know I would).

Schnitzeraffe

I've been playing with 12 gauge pumps for almost 30 years now.

On my 18th birthday I ran out and the first gun I purchased on my very own was a Mossberg 500.

I used that thing for over 20 years and never had one single problem with it.

I have also had Remington 870 shotguns over the years.

As a matter of my own personal preference, I tend to lean more towards the Remy (as you would notice when you looked at the number of Remingtons I have compared to Mossbergs).

With that said I like them both very much.

Now when it comes to the uber short shotguns, I like the Safety Harbor KEG12s.

I looked at Serbus... liked the SHF better.

I read about Serbus... liked what I heard about SHF better.

I tried to contact Serbu via email and phone... they must not have wanted my business very badly.

Safety Harbor... I can get Peggy on the phone whenever I want during normal business hours.

And if I need Walter, it only takes her a minute or two to get him on the phone.

In my opinion, the service you get before a purchase is pretty indicative of what you will get after.

I have been very pleased with Safety Harbor's service pre and post purchase.

As far as my KEG12s go, the 870 Police Magnum was my first and I probably would have stopped with that one.

Until I found out about the Black Aces Tactical Mossy 500 mag fed receivers!

If you're happy with only 3 rounds then get the Remy.

If you want up to 20 rounds then get the BAT Mossy 500!

DSC_4594_zps0rdlcgcp.jpg

By the way, they're uncomfortable to shoot and deafening even with double hearing protection, but they're a hell of a lot of fun!!!

quasimodem

I have contacted serbu 5-6 times in the last few weeks, and have gotten answers quicker than I imagined, and before this post, had no clue about SHF (thanks for that heads up), I also learned about black aces, and I think that is the route I might go. It was pointed out to me by another member here, that with wait times what they are, double transfers being the devil torture to NFA items, and the speed of efile, it might be better for me to buy a base shotgun, get the parts to mod it myself, e-file a form 1 and have my shorty back quicker. I am looking at buying a black aces base model and doing that because I think more than 3 rounds is way better, even if it will only ever be a range gun and a noise maker.

I am still taking everything you experts (and some lunatics) have to offer for advice, so please keep putting in your $.02 and when I win the lottery, I'll buy everyone ammo for their toys.

QM

Schnitzeraffe

...with wait times what they are, double transfers being the devil torture to NFA items, and the speed of efile, it might be better for me to buy a base shotgun, get the parts to mod it myself, e-file a form 1 and have my shorty back quicker...

While I'm certainly not trying to dissuade you from doing your own firearm with a form 1, your profile location says "Florida".

Whether you go the Safety Harbor or Serbu route, if you're in Florida you shouldn't have to do a double transfer.

Either one of them can build your gun, file your form 4, and you can pick it up directly from them.

That's what I did with both of my KEG12s.

Still your wait will no doubtedly be longer with the form 4.

My last form 1 efile was 44 days.

My last form 4 was just a tad over 3 months (and that included Christmas and New Years holidays which surely increased that wait).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter