Coastal 9mm MIMS soooooo quiet

M10

Was dumping a few dozen rounds of .380 at a buddy's range last wkd. .380acp was so quiet, you could hear the lead hit the backdrop. At 70 yds, it was quite impressive to hear the last 10 or so rounds splatter in the red clay.

Coastal MIMS. It's pretty damn quiet with 9mm. With .380, it's scary. I wanna strap it to a closed-bolt gun to hear the effect without the bolt slamming home.

Anyway, I am impressed with the Coastal. It's not quiet "for the price;" It's quiet in spite of it.

My tripod should be here this week from Jeff Bezos. Next trip I will take videos, and will also have a Real-Time analyzer with SPL meter on the table to measure 9mm vs 380 characteristics.

renovate7

I bought a Coastal MIMS in .45 for my Uzi in 2006. Very happy with it. I got .45 because it will also allow 9mm. Have put it on a Lage upper in 9mm with same excellent results. Wonder how it would work running .223 thru it?

M10

I bought a Coastal MIMS in .45 for my Uzi in 2006. Very happy with it. I got .45 because it will also allow 9mm. Have put it on a Lage upper in 9mm with same excellent results. Wonder how it would work running .223 thru it?

I also have the .45 Coastal, simply labeled "M45." It is shorter and lighter than my 9mm MIMS. It is quiet as a mouse. Even still, I am surprised at the MIMS! If they make a better 9mm sub gun can, I'd be surprised. My only gripe is lack of 3-lug adapters, but being used to MACs, it's no bother grabbing the can by the Nomex to keep it tight on the fat Ingram threads. You just gotta remember to warn people if they shoot it. LOL

rsideout

UZI Talk Life Member
I have 2 Coastal MIMS in 9mm and 1 in .45. I use one of the 9s only on the Uzi. The other 9 is set up for an M11a1. The .45 is used on an M10 and has been run on a Spitfire. They have nice volume for subguns and just work great.

Poacher

I know this is over a year old, but I just got a good deal on a NIB MIMS 45.
Any tips on disassembly / reassembly?
How often should I clean it? I just shoot FMJ bullets.
Thx.

Deerhurst

I know this is over a year old, but I just got a good deal on a NIB MIMS 45.
Any tips on disassembly / reassembly?
How often should I clean it? I just shoot FMJ bullets.
Thx.
With centerfire cans it's generally accepted you don't bother with trying to clean them if running a healthy diet of jacketed bullets. With unjacketed projectiles you will get some lead buildup. Rimfire cans need cleaning due to being dirty and unjacketed projectiles causing lead buildup inside the can. With 22LR there is not enough pressure to "self clean" the can in comparison with any decent centerfire cartridge.

I have thousands and thousands of rounds through my SiCo Hybrid and my F1 can without cleaning. The hybrid doesn't even come apart. It has no effect on efficiency of the can.

chili17

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
I'd take it apart every 1k or so. Ive filled up alot of pistol caliber cans shooting them on SMGs with jacketed bullets

Deerhurst

How much material have you pulled out of a pistol can? Have you weighed it before and after?

chili17

Staff member
A decent amount. Enough that there was no distinction between the first and second baffles. Dont recall if I ever weighed them before and after cleaning. Id have to check my notes when I get home

Deerhurst

You managed to pack the space between the baffles with just a hole in the middle?

How many tens of thousands of rounds does that take?!?!? 😲

slimshady

What caliber was the hole? Guy brought me an old Marlin .22 lever action, pre-model 39, complaining it wouldn't feed. Only ever shot shorts through it, half the chamber and the bore was so leaded it had maybe a .17 caliber hole down the bbl, it was swaging the bullets down apparently. Told him to find some mercury and let it soak for a year or two...

chili17

Staff member
If i recall correctly first few baffles fill up pretty well after about 10k. I completely filled up a Bowers CAC 9 with lead bullets once. No idea how many rounds that took though.

Poacher

Thanks for all the info.
Hopefully I can get to the range this weekend.

Deerhurst

If i recall correctly first few baffles fill up pretty well after about 10k. I completely filled up a Bowers CAC 9 with lead bullets once. No idea how many rounds that took though.
Wow!

I'd say I have ~5k or better through each one of my cans but a good number of that is rifle use.

If you manage to do it again I'd be very interested in photos!

Poacher

I put 200 rounds of 230 gr WWB thru it today.
I was not disappointed. Extremely quiet.
Couldn't ask for more of a can for an open bolt subgun IMO.

Starvingboy

The biggest downside I have run into is the thing tends to get stuck on my Stemple. No wrench flats or pin-wrench holes to take the adapter off the gun.

Poacher

The biggest downside I have run into is the thing tends to get stuck on my Stemple. No wrench flats or pin-wrench holes to take the adapter off the gun.
The threaded adapter? Mine has 2 holes on the face 180 degrees apart .140 diameter.
I don't know you'd remove it without holes for a spanner wrench.

Starvingboy

Exactly my problem. I would happily use the takedown spanner holes, but there tends to be a gun in the way. When I remove my can, the adapter stays in the gun… stuck.

Poacher

Sorry I misunderstood.
Yeah that definitely would be a problem.

Poacher

Don't know where that strange font came from???
No disrespect intended.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter