Sneak Peak New Accessory Project

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
I have something new in the works. If all goes well with the fabrication of this prototype, I may offer these for sale on a made to order basis. I think some of you will recognize this component and know what it goes to and what I am in the process of making…. It will be a very close reproduction but not exact, very similar design… with a much more convenient attachment method

IMG_9609.jpeg
IMG_9610.jpeg
IMG_9611.jpeg
IMG_9612.jpeg
IMG_9613.jpeg

Last edited:

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
Half of the desantis m11 chest rig thingy that Chuck Norris used? 😀
yep, that’s the one! It’s for the M10 or M11

IMG_9306.jpeg

I started making some easy attachment straps for those desantis rigs because the snap pin is always missing from the holster and the holster is useless without it… in the process I decided why don’t I just make the whole damn holster? So that’s what I’m working on. If it comes out nicely, I will probably sell them on gunbroker.

theduke

UZI Talk Life Member
Is your leather a bit thin or is there a process to "stiffN' it a bit.?

I know not a lot about these but do have a few Galco units...for different guns.

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
Is your leather a bit thin or is there a process to "stiffN' it a bit.?

I know not a lot about these but do have a few Galco units...for different guns.
It’s the same thickness that is used on the desantis rig, about 5-6oz for the pouches. Yes it can be stiffened by wet molding, which is very easy to do but I had not done it here as it wasn’t necessary to fit the mags. That said, I have handled quite a few of the desantis rigs and the pouch and flaps felt exactly the same, they don’t use very stiff leather for it. Sometimes over the years it dries out and begins to feel stiff, but properly conditioned leather should not feel rigid or stiff, it should flex and move easily without resistance, or it will ultimately crack. I will also be coating these in roselene when they’re done which is basically a liquid acrylic layer that gives it a shine and stiffens it up a bit

For what it’s worth, the GALCO pouches are heavier leather than the DeSantis MAC rigs were, but 5-6oz is more than sufficient and there’s no need to increase costs by using heavier leather than necessary.

GunsCarsPlanes

If you make the whole giddup, like mag and gun holster as shown in the desantis picture that'd be so cool. I'd be interested.

Galil#1

^^^^^^^^^ +1 ^^^^^^^^ Would be awesome indeed, alot of work.

Mackjack

UZI Talk Supporter
That’s awesome I always wanted one for my m11/9. I would also likely have interest

Do you think there is a way to craft it so you don’t need to install the snap halves on your receiver to use the holster?

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
If you make the whole giddup, like mag and gun holster as shown in the desantis picture that'd be so cool. I'd be interested.
That’s the idea… it is not gonna be identical to the DeSantis. The pouch is the only part that is more or less an exact copy of the DeSantis design. The shoulder harness is going to be the jackass or Galco style (less leather). The attachment style will be the same, allowing the gun to be fired from concealment, though it will not be the same shape/pattern as the desantis. Basically it’s the same type of holster, but not a replica or clone of that particular design. It will be a bit more “no frills” as I’m no Ken Null, but it should look pretty cool, work as intended, and scratch that DeSantis MAK skatter Miami Vice itch without having to drop 1800 bucks on gunbroker

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
That’s awesome I always wanted one for my m11/9. I would also likely have interest

Do you think there is a way to craft it so you don’t need to install the snap halves on your receiver to use the holster?
Yes there is. I already sell a device called the “snap strap” to attach the desantis without the snap pin. The pin is always missing from the holsters and it mars up the receiver when the black oxide wears off the brass snap studs and they leave a ring on the sides of the frame… I do have an alternative and it is being used in the design of this holster.

IMG_9888.png

Making some more progress on the prototype holster rig, need to perfect the shoulder harness and get the mag pouch attached and it will be finished, I’ve done enough today…. Maybe tomorrow

IMG_9885.jpeg
IMG_9890.jpeg

Edit:

I lied…. I couldn’t resist, I had to at least get the pouch attached. Now I just need to hole punch the straps on the harness for size adjustment on the pouch side, attach a couple Chicago screws and the prototype is done. Also need to add a few more sizing holes on the gun side, to pull it up a tad. The harness still needs to be perfected, it’s about as simple as simple gets right now and that’s probably how it’s gonna stay, it just needs to be tweaked a bit for comfort, but the rig works, and it won’t cost anywhere near that of an original desantis if I decide to sell them

IMG_9996.jpeg
IMG_9995.jpeg
IMG_9997.jpeg

Last edited:

nklf

UZI Talk Life Member
i would be interested, but I don't due GB. Any chance you will offer them on here?

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
i would be interested, but I don't due GB. Any chance you will offer them on here?
Yeah I’d consider doing them on a made to order basis. I’m gonna start out listing one on GB to gauge interest and get an idea of what they may be worth. I know the original desantis rigs are worth a fortune, and I’m trying to make this a lower priced alternative, but it is a decent little bit of work for me to make one, I don’t have a leather shop and I’m just doing this by hand with some basic leather working hand tools, so it’s a little slow going and I wouldn’t want to undersell my work. Once I establish that there is at least a small demand for them and that people are willing to pay me more than 50 bucks for one, then I’ll consider taking orders for them.

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
I'd buy one in a heartbeat buddy. C'mon do us a special run! I'll 3d print an uzitalk embosser ;-)
This is a great idea and I wish I had known you could print the stamps before I spent top dollar ordering a brass stamp for my branding!

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
Ok the prototype is complete (until I find something else to improve upon)

I made it so the pouch is modular and snaps onto the harness. This allows for the user to quickly and easily swap the 9mm/380 pouch out for a .45 pouch without having to purchase a whole new rig for the M10/45.

Harness is still a very lightweight simple design that is similar to a Jackass harness. The holster is made from relatively light leather except for the strap assembly that holds the gun and the leather piece that the pouch snaps onto. These are load bearing components so I made them from very thick leather, but the rest is relatively thin and lightweight, which I find makes it more comfortable, you can’t even feel that you are wearing it other than the weight of the mags and the gun.

I also added a tie down strap on the mag pouch side that attaches to the belt to keep the harness from getting weighed down on the gun side and keep it properly balanced.

I know it’s a little rough around the edges, this was a prototype, I did it all by eye and cut freehand, so it was time consuming. I made templates from this one to use when I make another one, so it will be a bit easier to construct now.

Please keep in mind this is more or less just for enthusiasts and collectors who want a shoulder holster to play around with but don’t want to have to justify it to their wives. I am not suggesting anybody wear this thing on their next big sting operation or foreign dignitary executive protection gig (though I’m sure it would hold up OK if you did) if anything it is a novelty item.

IMG_0515.jpeg
IMG_0516.jpeg

IMG_0519.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0517.jpeg
    IMG_0517.jpeg
    864.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

root

UZI Talk Supporter
Wow you paid to have a stamp made?

I mean I know you can but I have always made my engraver plates by hand.

Just the reverse of a stamp.

Ya you can 3d print them from a 2d image using a program called Blender to lift it into 3d and save as a .stl file for printing.

Possibly even a cad program or Zbrush also not sure.
I'm only familiar with blender.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter