22lr conversion for max-11/15?

ScubaLoser

Hey everyone, the new guy around here, so I was wondering has anyone put any thought or effort in converting the max11/15 to run a dedicated 22lr barrel and BCG?

https://www.righttobear.com/rtb-dedicated-22-bolt-and-3-mag-kit-25-round/

RTB makes a barrel and BCG that doesn’t use a gas system or recoil spring from an AR platform, and is direct blowback like any typical semi auto pistol. I wonder how hard it would be to create a BCG that could operate in it. I have no design experience except limited amateur rendering for my 3d printer.

RevolverJockey

I guess the big question is why spend $3,000+ on an 11/15 upper then not use the best parts of it. Plus, though the price has gone up, .22 Fleming and Lage kits are available on the used market. Just my $.02.

LawBob

Hey everyone, the new guy around here, so I was wondering has anyone put any thought or effort in converting the max11/15 to run a dedicated 22lr barrel and BCG?

https://www.righttobear.com/rtb-dedicated-22-bolt-and-3-mag-kit-25-round/

RTB makes a barrel and BCG that doesn’t use a gas system or recoil spring from an AR platform, and is direct blowback like any typical semi auto pistol. I wonder how hard it would be to create a BCG that could operate in it. I have no design experience except limited amateur rendering for my 3d printer.

Atchinson style conversions are blow back. You can use a dedicated 22 barrel with a non-adapter bcg, or use a cmmg that has the chamber converter.

The problem is these are closed bolt systems you want to convert to open bolt with what would have to be a fixed firing pin (which creates hazardous potential), or mechanically load the cartridge and then when chambered release a firing pin (with no hammer).

The max does this by using the rotating bolt with some sort of internal cam (or, as the bolt rotates the distance narrows revealing the pin)- the firing pin is hidden inside behind the bolt face as it strips a cartridge, and loads it. As the bolt rotates and locks, the pin is exposed and hits the firing pin.

Remember the open bolt acts as the hammer in an OB gun

I’m sure someone can do it, but I think it will
Be more complicated

Last edited:

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
Could it be done? I would think so. If the bolt was trimmed down so that enough mass was reduced to account the mass for the sear catch. Such a catch could be a separate weight attached to the bolt with a light spring to separate the bolt from the firing pin/sear catch. I just don't know if the bolt could be lightened enough to cover the mass of lightened bolt and firing pin/sear catch combination. If not the whole kit would need to be redesigned.

The problem is, there are only a couple of hundred possible buyers of such a kit. Of those possible buyers, how many would be actual buyers? Ten or 20 buyers seems like a very small pool to cover R&D costs. I also think that sucha small pool of possible not be interested in the cost of such a kit being five or ten times the cost of the original kit. My opinion is that this would not be an easy conversion of the original kit. I would think that a .22lr kit similar to what Lage made for original upper would have a much bigger potential customer pool than a .22lr kit for the Max-/15 owners. Just my opinion.

Scott

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
mak91 tried it and reported little success due to the firing pin hole being at the top of the bolt face. The bullet did not want to slide under the fixed firing pin. Most fixed firing pin 22LR design use a fixed firing pin on the bottom of the bolt face.

My guesses:
Open bolt= removed firing pin and fix .02" music wire to bottom of the bolt face with a sear catch to the bolt
Closed bolt= something similar to closed bolt mini Uzi design

Last edited:

LawBob

Could it be done? I would think so. If the bolt was trimmed down so that enough mass was reduced to account the mass for the sear catch. Such a catch could be a separate weight attached to the bolt with a light spring to separate the bolt from the firing pin/sear catch. I just don't know if the bolt could be lightened enough to cover the mass of lightened bolt and firing pin/sear catch combination. If not the whole kit would need to be redesigned.

The problem is, there are only a couple of hundred possible buyers of such a kit. Of those possible buyers, how many would be actual buyers? Ten or 20 buyers seems like a very small pool to cover R&D costs. I also think that sucha small pool of possible not be interested in the cost of such a kit being five or ten times the cost of the original kit. My opinion is that this would not be an easy conversion of the original kit. I would think that a .22lr kit similar to what Lage made for original upper would have a much bigger potential customer pool than a .22lr kit for the Max-/15 owners. Just my opinion.

Scott

The cmmg and similar 22 kits, the bolt and mainspring is self contained and requires nothing from the AR mainspring or buffer tube. In this case it would require nothing from the lage mainspring.

It occupies the space of the ar bolt group.

A sear-linkage would have to be welded to the bolt to interact back from the bolt carrier area to the Mac sear.

That’s the easy part.

It could operate like an open bolt using its own mainspring system (assuming the sear-linkage weight didn’t have adverse affects), but the firing pin issue is the hard part as noted above.

These kits work fine in m16s (with the cmmg extra parts) but they are closed bolt and aren’t modified with the sear linkages.

According to my research, the Franklin armory binary triggers work w cmmg and practical solution 22 kits in an AR. :)

You don’t need the buffer tube, so a folder stock or brace on an ar22 dedicated to 22 makes a nice compact package (but then the lower is 22 only).

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter