51k in Florida? Pay to experiment w/ blue ammo

TheColtCollector

UZI Talk Life Member
I bought a pallet of blue dag ammo and love running it in my ptr 91 full auto.

I wanna get a 51k running with this blue ammo. Eventually I’ll have ghilliebear make me my own 51k. However I’m not sure if it’s physically possible and it would be stupid if I had him make a 51k and it can’t run the ammo. As far as I’m aware I don’t know of anyone getting one of to run with it either.

Can I bribe someone within 2 hours of Tampa to borrow their 51k? I’ll give you a thousand rounds of blue ammo. Or some 556 or something. Only thing I plan on modifying is my special blue dag bolt ONLY. I can’t imagine this would take me more than one weekend and I’ll drive your gun back to you.

What do you guys think? Totally insane? Thanks!
Beau

hkg3k

UZI Talk Life Member

I wanna get a 51k running with this blue ammo. Eventually I’ll have ghilliebear make me my own 51k. However I’m not sure if it’s physically possible and it would be stupid if I had him make a 51k and it can’t run the ammo. As far as I’m aware I don’t know of anyone getting one of to run with it either.

Can I bribe someone within 2 hours of Tampa to borrow their 51k? I’ll give you a thousand rounds of blue ammo. Or some 556 or something. Only thing I plan on modifying is my special blue dag bolt ONLY. I can’t imagine this would take me more than one weekend and I’ll drive your gun back to you.

Beau

My guess is that it'd work just fine. The powder charge of the DAG training ammo is small and seems to be very fast burning. I pretty much run the DAG blue training ammo exclusively in my registered sear 51 clone with zero issues. There's plenty of others who do the same. The "k" barrel is what, 3" shorter? I think it'd be fine.

The only issue I would foresee is you getting someone's 51k built by someone (other than Ghillie) and you chop your carrier assembly down to fit that...then Ghillie builds your 51k to his formula / specs.

The 51's (and 51k's) were never a cataloged HK product, so there is no specs / dimensions etched in stone. Every builder chopped the carrier assemblies differently and built them a little differently. When I sent my Training Bolt / Carrier assembly to Ghillie to have it chopped, he had me send the factory carrier assembly along with it, so he could get the dimensions correct, so the cocking handle levered / opened the gun properly.

I'd suggest you contact Ghillie directly on the front end of this...he's built a ton of 51k's and I bet he's already modified a training bolt / carrier assembly to work with the DAG blue training ammo. He can tell you 1st hand if it's viable or not for the 51k

Good Luck!

TheColtCollector

UZI Talk Life Member
Idk my wife would say 3” is pretty substantial difference! I don’t care if I have to hack up a couple bolts. I have several

Moose

I know this post is a few months old, but thought I would ask anyways.
I have a HK91, with the lighten training bolt, using HK steel mags and I cannot get the blue training ammo to run reliability.
The round hits on the barrel and breaks the tip off, dumping powder everywhere.
Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks Moose

hkg3k

UZI Talk Life Member
I know this post is a few months old, but thought I would ask anyways.
I have a HK91, with the lighten training bolt, using HK steel mags and I cannot get the blue training ammo to run reliability.
The round hits on the barrel and breaks the tip off, dumping powder everywhere.
Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks Moose

Try different magazines...they're dirt cheap.

SHURESHOT

UZI Talk Supporter
only load 19 in the mag mine almost always chunks the first round

TheColtCollector

UZI Talk Life Member
Yepp and only steel mags work for me really. I added a little weld to the back of the ejector and that solved my ejection issuers

Weso

Beau
Bout the 2:14 mark. Terry D did the bolt carrier conversion. Great flash, no recoil, hoot to shoot.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter