Anyone use the original Vector .45 ACP SMG open bolt conversion?

MG34_Dan

Any words of wisdom on these kits? I have a chance to pick one up that has never been shot. The original invoice shows it was purchased from Vector in 2001. Bolt and barrel are marked ".45 ACP" and comes with two (2) 16 round IMI .45 ACP magazines.

wtrski76

UZI Talk Life Member
I have a .45 SMG setup, not sure of the origins but it runs great - even the 22rd promag mags work perfectly and are relatively cheap. I like the increased ROF over the 9mm setup as well. Not sure what they're asking for it but If it's less than $500 or so, you are getting a smokin' deal. Those mags alone are going for over $100 apiece. The .45 is a single feed setup though, so loading them is kind of a PIA, especially compared to what you're used to. I found that the UPLULA helps. Bottom line is buy it and if you don't like it, you will have no trouble selling it here.

Txseppe

UZI Talk Supporter
MG34_DAN, if you decide not to buy it give me the sellers contact details please. I've been looking for one for a while, they don't come up very often.

MG34_Dan

I believe I'm going to grab it because this is a two step deal. The first step is the .45 ACP conversion. Step two is a Chris Humphries Grease Gun conversion setup. That part comes with four GG magazines and a USGI GG magazine loader still in the cosmoline. Damn those magazines and the loader are build like a brick $hit house. I think you can use them to jack up a jeep and not damage them.

greenpeas

UZI Talk Life Member
The Humphries setup is awesome. Mine functions flawlessly. The only downside is the cost of .45 ammo.

If you run out of ammo you could always beat them to death with an empty GG magazine.

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
Any words of wisdom on these kits? I have a chance to pick one up that has never been shot. The original invoice shows it was purchased from Vector in 2001. Bolt and barrel are marked ".45 ACP" and comes with two (2) 16 round IMI .45 ACP magazines.

The bolt, barrel and magazines are all original IMI parts. It's a nice setup that's hard to find these days.

Garrett

I believe I'm going to grab it because this is a two step deal. The first step is the .45 ACP conversion. Step two is a Chris Humphries Grease Gun conversion setup. That part comes with four GG magazines and a USGI GG magazine loader still in the cosmoline.
Do it - you'll be happy.

I run a GG lower with a BarrelXchange .40 conversion. The GG mags with slightly tweaked feed lips work great with the .40 and hold around 35 rounds. I tried a number of things to get the IMI and ProMags to work with the .40, but the diameter of that cartridge just doesn't stack well in a mag of that width. They work much better in the wider GG magazines.

I've also got a .45 setup, but only using a semi-auto bolt in my full-auto gun. I keep thinking I'll eventually pick up a F/A .45 bolt but as noted, they don't come up for sale all that often. I think the last one I saw went for around $500-$600 for just the bolt.

pmf

You definitely want the Humphries GG converted lower. The original kit came with a plastic 16 round magazine. It's nearly impossible to find extras even if you wanted to. Plus, how fun is a machine gun with a 16 round magazine? I don't think anyone's made these kits, or lowers for a long time -- buy it if you can -- they're rare. Just curious -- how much is the seller asking for the kit and lower?

MG34_Dan

Do it - you'll be happy.
I run a GG lower with a BarrelXchange .40 conversion. The GG mags with slightly tweaked feed lips work great with the .40 and hold around 35 rounds. I tried a number of things to get the IMI and ProMags to work with the .40, but the diameter of that cartridge just doesn't stack well in a mag of that width. They work much better in the wider GG magazines.

What "tweaking" needs to be done to the GG mags? Have you tried using IMI .41 AE magazines to shoot .40 S&W?

You definitely want the Humphries GG converted lower. The original kit came with a plastic 16 round magazine. It's nearly impossible to find extras even if you wanted to. Plus, how fun is a machine gun with a 16 round magazine? I don't think anyone's made these kits, or lowers for a long time -- buy it if you can -- they're rare. Just curious -- how much is the seller asking for the kit and lower?

This is a long drawn out trade deal involving some MP40, MG34, and HK21 parts. No cash will change hands.

Garrett

What "tweaking" needs to be done to the GG mags? Have you tried using IMI .41 AE magazines to shoot .40 S&W?
Just need to bend the feed lips together a little to hold the smaller cartridge. Seems like I measures the inside dimension on 3 or 4 different styles of .40 cal pistol mags to get a close idea.

IMI .41 mags don't work any better than .45 mags. I've got a long, drawn out post on it here. It mostly has to do with how they stack. I've got a picture at the link that shows pretty well what I mean.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter