Are these worth a crap? HK33 mount.

jcook119

I use the B&T on my BW5, it is rock solid.

If you want to go a bit cheaper, MFI Manufacturing in KY makes their own low-profile mounts. There have been several group-buys for them on HKPRO, and everyone (me included) has been happy. I use my MFI mount on my 91. It seems to be just as good, it just attaches a bit differently than the B&T version.

Thanks,
James

CIB

UZI Talk Supporter
SZ, what follows is a copy of a review I did a couple of years ago. It was originally posted in the "Reviews" forum here at UT.

Hey guys, I just bought a B&T mount for the HK MP5, HK 33/53/93, it’s the Universal mount. I also bought the Chinese made copy of it from www.airsplat.com, and I thought I’d do a comparison of them for the guys that might be interested in these mounts. All measurements were taken with a Lyman digital caliper, and all measurements were double checked. I was very surprised with the results I obtained.
First off both were well finished. The B&T mount was finished in a flat black, the Chinese version is a flat black as well, but a little shinier than the B&T. Both are made of aluminum. Just looking at them, they are exact twins, the holes for the screws, number of slots (12 each), and receiver detent slots are all in the same location.
Now for the measurements! Overall length B&T: 5.437”, Chinese: 5.433”, Overall width (this measurement was taken on the end of the mount with the small threaded hole in the top) B&T: 1.358”, Chinese 1.354”, Ejection Port Cutout, B&T: 2.200”, Chinese: 2.205”. Alright, granted these “outside” dimensions have little effect on mounting optics to the base, nor on fit of the mount to the rifle, but demonsrate thus far how closely the Chinese copy is of the Swiss made B&T mount. So, now on to the serious stuff of where the mounts lock up to the receiver, and where optics affix to the mount!
The following measurements pertain to the rails, the area where your optics would interface with the mount. Rail slot width (all slots were measured), B&T: .207”-.208, Chinese: .199”-.202”, leaving a spread of .009”-.005”. Rail width: (measurement taken at three points along the rail: each end, and mid-point), B&T: .823”- .824”, Chinese: .833 (same at all three points). I’m not sure of the significance of these measurements as both mounts both securely hold an ARMS M68 QR mount, and cheap copy of the M68 QR mount.
Now let us flip both mounts over, and take measurements there, and see how they compare. The following measurements will affect how the mount attaches to the weapon. First the Inside Width: B&T: 1.005”, Chinese: 1.003”. Second the measurement between the two farthest spaced Receiver Detents: B&T: 1.813”, Chinese: 1.816”. And now between the two closest spaced Receiver Detents: B&T: .552”, Chinese: .552”. Maximum variation in how the mounts attach to the weapon is .003”!
Now here is where there tends to be quite a bit of difference, and that is in the hard ware that attaches the mount to the weapon, the hex head screws, and feet that the screws thread into, and pull up against the receiver to secure the interface between mount and weapon. First is the small rectangular “Foot” (for lack of a better term), and it must be noted here that the B&T foot is steel, whereas the Chinese one is aluminum, anyway here are the measurements: B&T: .552” X .235”, Chinese: .556” X .237”. Now for the hex head screws that attach the “feet”: B&T: .752” X .133” course thread, Chinese: .735” X .113” fine thread. I have no way to measure thread pitch for either.
To sum it up, both fit and work well on my Vector V93, and SW52X. Given the very small amount of variation in dimensions, and the amount of force it would take to tear one of them off of a weapon, I just can’t see why anyone would need to spend the extra $100 on the B&T. Speaking of that $100, how about price of the two units? Well the B&T came from DSA at the price of $124.95+ S&H, the Chinese copy from Airsplat (and other vendors as well) $24.60 shipped to my door!
Well, that’s my review hope you find it helpful! It might save you some money for ammo as well. By the way I have no vested interest, nor work for any of the companies mentioned in this review.

I guess while I'm at it I could post an update as well. The original review was posted on, or about March 23, 2006. Since that time the B&T has been on my V93, and the Cheap Chicom copy has been on my SW52X. Here I feel it is significant to mention that the SW52 is a much harder recoiling weapon, comparable to a G3.
Neither mount in the past 2 years has caused me any grief. In fact I'd say that any blow that would mess up either mount will likely be the demise of your optics, and would likely cause significant damage to the reciever as well.
Now that I've given you some first hand experience you can draw your own conclusions, and buy what you want. I certainly hope this helps.

tacdrivrnc

+1 on the cheap Chicom Airsplat mounts.
I have them on all my HK clones, including the JLD HK91's, and they have worked fine for a number of years.
Since it's going on a .223, and you're only going to get a certain amount of accuracy out of a V93 with a standard trigger anyway...you're better off getting the cheap mount, a decent yet not too expensive scope, and spending the savings on a Williams trigger job. Add the folding bipod, find the respiratory pause and slowly SQUEEZE, and you should be able to get around 1 to 1.5 MOA...and an Eagle Stock Pack seriously improves the cheek weld (consider one of those also).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter