Aug Parts kits $180, how hard to build?

DistalRadius

You know of a source for semi-auto AUG receivers?

There have been rumors of people trying to get some started up but this is always the case with new and interesting parts kits:
1) There is initially no support (ie: semi-auto parts) so the kits are cheap as crap.
2) Once the kits are sold out or nearly so, some enterprising madlad cooks up some cool aftermarket goodies.
3) Value of remaining kits skyrocket as they are now viable builds.

It is always a gamble as to whether or not the aftermarket support (Step 2) materializes. Retrospective wisdom dictates that if it's cheap and you can spare the cash, get it. It should always be resellable for at least what you paid even if the aftermarket stuff never happens.

slimshady

You can convert the bolt/carrier to semi auto, some small parts interchange. IIRC, stock is FA and can't be modified to SA. Same with the FCG box. Made in Malaysia under license so not Austrian made. Also has no provision for LH ejection although a replacement stock likely would fix that.

As mentioned, no regular source of semi auto receivers, some do show up on gunbroker and other places but cost around a grand last ones I saw. Bbls are damn expensive and rare, a cheap used one is almost 2 low end PSA AR15s. By the time you pieced one together from parts sourced singly you could have bought a factory AUG and a PSA! OEM mags are expensive, but Magpul does make aftermarket ones under $20. These take the Austrian proprietary AUG clear waffle mags, you need a NATO stock to take the AR15 magazines but the stock needs replaced anyway...

These have been around since at least 2019, and the price keeps dropping. I would assume due to lack of sales, for the reasons above. The Malaysian ones are also said to have been run hard, lots of wear and chewed up stocks.

Of course I thought the CETME L would never get aftermarket receivers due to the low number of kits imported and was dead wrong about that. So I grabbed one, at least one guy over on weaponsguild has managed to make one work so who knows? Of course with my luck next week they are going to be $99.99...

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
That Cetme L is cool! Sounds like though even if there were a reciever, you still need another Semi auto Stock and FCG? Not much here then it sounds like.

slimshady

That Cetme L is cool! Sounds like though even if there were a reciever, you still need another Semi auto Stock and FCG? Not much here then it sounds like.

For someone with a factory FA it would make a good spare parts set, for a semi auto spare parts kit you get the bolt and carrier that can be converted, and a bunch of small parts that add up so at that price it is probably a good buy for that purpose. For a build, you can use the same parts but by the time you source all the other needed ones a new rifle from the factory starts looking like a better deal. Unless something changes. OTOH, I have seen very few parts kits go down in price long term. With the proliferation of 3D printers these days I imagine someone might be able to produce a file that would result in a positive for a sand or plaster mold for casting an AL receiver. Or some CNC whiz starts whittling one out of a block. The bbl is what is going to kill it for most folks unless a workaround of say adapting an Ar15 bbl would work. Doesn't look like the rear of the bbl is included so no bbl extension or whatever the bolt locks into to re-use or copy.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter