Austen Questions

Haris1

UZI Talk Life Member
I just received an Austen that wouldnt run. Light strikes.Bolt would close without detonating. Tried many kinds of ammo including federal which is
known for softer primers. Solution: I took a sten spring,cut 3 inches and added it onto the captured recoil spring assembly.It runs 100% now.
Question: Can that recoil spring assembly be disassembled and a new spring added?

2. Are any of the sten barrels compatible?It has a cut for indexing

Haris1

UZI Talk Life Member
Here are pics- whats cool is the magazine that has a band around it marked "Austen"

Last edited:

DINK

Supposedly the Ozzies copied the MP-40 recoil spring assembly when they cooked up the Austen, so I would assume (always dangerous) that you can unscrew the firing pin assembly from the front and take the old spring out. Wolff Gunsprings has replacement extra-power MP-40 springs available for $12 and that's what I would try first.

Villafuego

UZI Talk Supporter
Your bbl. appears to have both an extractor relief cut, and an area ramped for feeding.

Standard Sten bbls don't have the extractor cut, and the whole chamber mouth is "ramped"

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter