best method to clean gunk off SS on a KAC556F

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
My Ruger kac556f came in to the gun shop this week....drove there today to check it out....the gun is in amazing condition. pretty much NIB...not a scratch or mark on it anywhere

one issue it does have is gunk built up in the corners on various spots of the gun...only on the SS parts...around the front sight, around the bolt, etc...looks like some oil maybe that was never cleaned right...could be old grease from when the gun was bought originally and was never wiped off....

finish is a matte/bead blasted SS look....i want to make the SS look new again...Gun shop recommended a brass wire brush...this makes me think it will effect the bead blasted look...either shine it up or give it a scratched SS look.......im thinking of soaking the parts in Hoppes solvent and using a stiff brissel brush...making taking days to soak it and keep scrubbing

any advice is appreciated!

rybread

UZI Talk Life Member,
I use toothpicks to get to those reeeeel small corners. That stool is BADASS, BTW!

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
its not small enough for tooth pics...its in the corners of edges...probably 1/4-3/8 area's.....like someone cleaned it quickly and didnt get into the nooks and crannies well and left the gunk there....now the gunk is 30 years old and not going to be removed without some effort

i can ask them if the stool is for sale?

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
Take it out of the stock.
Shoot some BoreScrubber or other aerosol gun solvent on it.
Wipe with cloth.

No wire brush is need. It's stainless and you won't hurt it.
But take it out of the stock first and make sure you know what position the FA switch is in before you reassemble.

ateamrob

I have stainless Steel wipes that I use on my Stainless Mini factory folders for the gunk building up and they work GREAT.

nice looking piece too....

Rob

HKMP5

Birchwood casey gun scrubber is hard to beat give it a try

MG34_Dan

The easiest for me is to strip it down to the steel/stainless assemblies and drop only them it in my buddy's ultrasonic cleaner. No muss, no fuss. Have a cold one while the cleaner does its thing. After 30 minutes or so, take out all subassemblies. They will be very hot, wet, and free of dirt/grime/crud. Let them dry and after a few minutes re-apply oil to the bore, bolt, and whatever parts the manual says. Re-assemble and get ready for the next outing. But never, ever, put anything other than steel parts in an ultrasonic cleaner.

Funner

Nevr Dull wipes/wadding in the blue tin can. From ACE Hardware and other places.

Wrap a tad around a nylon brush.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter