Best Suppresssor for Smith 76 ????

Haris1

UZI Talk Life Member
Hello All:

I have heard that the AWC SG-9 is the best out there for the 760
and that its barrel is ported so it slows down the supersonic rounds.

I have also heard that the MK9 is excellent but not ported.
I really want to know which is he quietest one and whether the MK9 is ported. Thanks for any input.The ones on Gunbroker are very pricey!!

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
Can you post pics of the internals if they are different than what’s posted on his website ?

Bwe said he was planning on making them

r

buy yourself a barrel and barrel nut from BWE, get a CL2 like curtis tactical to port the grooves and build a 1.75" x 12" tube with baffles and spacers around and past the barrel. I have a one off made by Norrell and it bleeds down my 125 GR FMJ MP5 blaster ammo to subsonic, without Dr Dater's port blocking collar design, so I don't have to have a separate hand load just for suppressed MK shooting. I have a full size AWC Mk9(2" x 12) that threads on 1/2" x 28 but could not bring myself to use any kind of thread on can on the end of an MK760.

Last edited:

ferndog1

UZI Talk Supporter

RE: Best Suppresssor for Smith 76 ????
Hello All:

I have heard that the AWC SG-9 is the best out there for the 760
and that its barrel is ported so it slows down the supersonic rounds.

I have also heard that the MK9 is excellent but not ported.
I really want to know which is he quietest one and whether the MK9 is ported. Thanks for any input.The ones on Gunbroker are very pricey!!

If you have the S&W 76 book, there is a chapter by Phil Dater who developed the SG-9. He describes through text and photos the "ported" system that slows down supersonic rounds to subsonic.
I wish someone would make that can again!

Attachments

• s&w model 76 cover lores.jpg
    s&w model 76 cover lores.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 262

lugercarbine

I purchased a Gemtech SG-9 in 2014, new in box from Long Mountain Outfitters. My understanding, is that Dan Shea has a special run of 50 done every so often. I saw a ad that they had some available and I put in a order, sent in the form 4 paperwork, I’m a FFL in Connecticut so it was a one transfer from Nevada - works great, it’s in the safe or I would have posted pictures. LMO just might have some in stock, you never know.

woodenword

UZI Talk Supporter
I have one of Jim Burgess suppressors for my MK760. It is as pictured with washers welded to a rail and eyelets in the first stage. The ported barrel allows the use of standard 115 gr. ammo. It really does a very good job of suppression to where all you get for noise is the bolt clanking around. Not at all sorry I bought it.

Last edited:

ETLES LLC

UZI Talk Life Member
I bought an extra bbl and three lugged it for a MK-9K. That's my goto suppressor.

Jmacken37

Mr. Miata, UZI Talk Life Member,
I bought an extra bbl and three lugged it for a MK-9K. That's my goto suppressor.

This. I'd have a bbl shortened and get a barrel nut made. That way you can run a standard, modern suppressor. If you go the ported route, make sure you can get to the ports to clean them. I dumped the MP5SD after a few episodes of cleaning. Total PIA!

Last edited:

EDF

I have an AWC Agenda 6 on mine.. It's threaded for a Mac but I have a conversion barrel that I got from Scott Andrey... It's a great can.

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
I don't get ported barrels on new builds. This idea was invented because government issue ammo was supersonic and they needed to lower the FPS to subsonic and this was the only way.

You can just shoot 147gr through a non ported barrel and you don't loose all that energy.

Fishman

I don't get ported barrels on new builds. This idea was invented because government issue ammo was supersonic and they needed to lower the FPS to subsonic and this was the only way.

You can just shoot 147gr through a non ported barrel and you don't loose all that energy.

1. Ported barrels allow you to shoot cheap 115 grain ammo subsonic

2. Even with inherently subsonic ammo, barrel ports reduce gas blowback and port pop a lot. My integral 45ACP AR barrel has ports, even though all standard 45ACP ammo is already subsonic.

MachinegunKid1

I own a SCRC Mk-25 for my S&W-76 and it's by far the highest quality and quietest pistol caliber suppressor I own. Here is a quick write up on the SCRC version:
The Mk-25 suppressor was designed by the legendary Phil "Doc" Dater and built by the dean of suppressor manufacturers, Tim Bixler, of SCRC. This Mk-25 9mm suppressor is for the Beretta PM12S, MP-5, UZI, Walther MPK, Beretta PM-12S, S&W-76, 9MM AUG, and Sten submachine guns, and comes with a manual and take-down tool. These are the last of the SCRC units, and Paladin Armory is their exclusive distributor.
I obtained mine from Paladin. You may want to check and see what he's got available.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter