build up a stripped receiver?

JasonAC556

UZI Talk Life Member
First, what series is the receiver? Is it a 180 series, or a 181-186 series? You will need a donor rifle of the same series for parts and an M14 full auto parts kit. You could make the auto sear from scratch if you don't want to modify the M 14 parts.

An AC556 trigger pack won't work in a standard receiver without modifying the rear, and I wouldn't want to mess up a RR.

There are several books out there that have machine drawings for the needed conversion parts you will need, as well as how to modify M14 parts to work with your receiver and trigger.

Good luck and post some pics of the build!!!

prebans

FFL/SOT, Distinction Arms, UZI Talk Life Member,
I see you found that stripped converted RR as well. I gave it some thought but was worried about the availability of parts. Assuming parts were available, I also wondered how the barrel attaches to the receiver.

+1 on posting pics if you go through with the project!

Mike

JasonAC556

UZI Talk Life Member
By the way, the series of the receiver is VERY important. 180 series rifles have ZERO parts availability except for a donor rifle and have ZERO parts interchange with later rifles. Ruger doesn't have ANY parts available for this series, so spares are non existant. 181 and later rifles are no problem. Be sure you know before you offer to buy!!!

Mike85220

I almost bought a receiver for $3500, and figured out the costs would make it just as much as a running conversion if not more.

You have to buy a semi-auto from someone and use it to sacrfice- $400.

A gunsmith will charge you $100 to strip everything and another $100 to install it onto that receiver.

Now you have to buy a conversion book for $30 at the gunshow or online.
You have to figure out which conversion method was used.

The parts needed to be made must be done by a good machinist, and that will be a lot more money, say $400.

Then the parts must be installed, and the timing then must be checked which is more money.

You will need to have the gun re-blued or parked, $150.

It will be a little over $5k and lots of time for buying stuff, researching and waiting for the gunsmith and machinist to boot.

I see running full auto Mini-14 conversions for $4200-$4800.

I would spend the extra $1k and get a real AC-556, they have warranties and are not going to have reliability issues like a Mini-14 conversion.

JMO

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter