Bullet Guides and Valmet Buffers

RSR

UZI Talk Supporter
Both CNC Warrior and Blackthorne have 5.56 bullet guides -- CNC for "stamped or milled receiver AKs" and Blackthorne for Galils.

Of these two, which is the way to go for optimal reliability/bullet feeding?
CNCW is $27.99: http://www.cncwarrior.com/5-56-Bullet-Guide-w-Rivet-p/24678.htm
Blackthorne is $45: http://blackthorneproducts.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_18&products_id=444

Also, talking to Manticore Arms about possibly doing a limited run of new production valmet buffers.
Anyone have a spare I can purchase from you or you would be willing to loan to the effort?

AresShrike

UZI Talk Life Member
Again, the CNC warrior bullet guides are for AK's, and the Blackthorne ones are for Galils.

RSR

UZI Talk Supporter
Yes, there has been quite a bit of variety of the guides builders have used in their Galils... And the standard Galil guide requires beveling of the outside chamber edge to feed/chamber some of the heavier weight and hp/otm 5.56 bullets... So was hoping someone might have some insight.

Such as this Siaga guide for chambering most bullets w/o needing to alter barrel:
223_bg_round_inst.jpg

I was wondering if there might be some added height/other advantages to the CNC warrior guide over some of the other options out there since it's profiled more like the OE galil guide...

It's not as critical for my R4 builds (primarily just intend 55 and 62 gr fmj and/or soft points in these guns) but looking forward to my ARM build I would like to be able to chamber heavier bullets w/ profiles, like OTM, that improve longer range accuracy...

Here's similar to what the standard guide w/ non-beveled barrel looks like when chambering on my Golani w/ standard galil guide at least (impacting face of barrel and then sliding up and into the chamber -- granted, I have a mm or two I need to shim the guide to raise it up further but there will still be some barrel impact before chambering w/o beveling the rear chamber edge):

1001171smallqu7.jpg

1001170smallgv1.jpg

If this entire problem can be resolved with a different bullet guide selection that would be my preference.

And was hoping others might have some feedback/experience w/ these two guides...

Last edited:

mrf2

Jeff Miller told me to use the Blackthorne bullet guide, so that is the one I would recommend.

AresShrike

UZI Talk Life Member
Yes, the Blackthorne guide is a lot more beveled on that leading edge. I'm not seeing a CNC Warrior bullet guide for the Galil though.

RSR

UZI Talk Supporter
Thanks for all the feedback. Much appreciated. Looks like Blackthorne is the way to go then. Good thing they have quite a few in stock as they're pricey and will be able buy over time instead of all at once...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter