Bushmaster Wins Trademark Case Brought By Colt Defense LLC.

cookie

Founder
http://www.bushmaster.com/bushmaster_wins_trademark_case.asp

Windham, ME (December 8th, 2005) - Richard Dyke, Chairman and principal stockholder of Bushmaster Firearms, is pleased with a December 6 decision of the United States District Court in Maine granting summary judgment for Bushmaster in a trademark case brought by Colt Defense, LLC. In the case, Colt accused Bushmaster of infringing the “M4” trademark and the trade dress of the M4, both of which Colt claimed it owned to the exclusion of others in the industry. In addition to denying Colt’s infringement claims, the Court granted judgment for Bushmaster on its claim for cancellation of Colt’s federal trademark registration for the “M4”.

Dyke said he is pleased, not only for Bushmaster, but for the entire firearms industry. “Colt has for years made all sorts of claims as to rights it asserted belonged only to it,” he said. “And this case clearly shows Colt has been overstating its rights. In this case, the Court determined that the right to use the M4 term and to sell firearms that look like the M4 type, are rights that belong to the industry, not just Colt.”

The Court’s order affirmed a prior recommended decision of a U.S. Magistrate Judge in the case. Among other things, the Magistrate’s decision:
  • Held that the M4 is generic term which merely describes a type of firearm, and is not an identifier of Colt as a sole source for such firearms. In doing so, the decision noted that more than a dozen firearm manufacturers other than Colt have used the term M4 for years to refer to military-style carbines with collapsible buttstocks and shortened barrels. Since the M4 term is generic, the court granted judgment for Bushmaster that Colt’s federal trademark registration for the M4 should be cancelled.
  • Dismissed Colt’s claim for infringement of M4 trade dress both because the alleged trade dress is primarily non-functional and because Colt could not establish that the buying public associated the look of the M4 only with Colt.
  • Dismissed Colt’s claims for infringement of the terms M16, CAR, MATCH TARGET, AR-15 and COMMANDO because it concluded that there was no likelihood of confusion among purchasers as to the source of Bushmaster’s products.
The Court also held Colt could recover no damages on its only remaining claim under Section 43(a) of the Lanham Act.

Jimmy2Times

FFL 07/02, UZI Talk Supporter, , --PBR Mafia--
I've said it before, I'll say it again, and I'll keep saying it:

Fuck Colt's!

I am also proud to say that I don't own one single thing manufactured by Colt, nor will I ever. Not a firearm, magazine, or even a damn screw for that matter.

I don't care how much your M16 is worth, if it's manufactured by Colt's it's worthless to me.

-J2T

wellcraft

well i own 3 colt ar15 rifles and i like all three and i got two of them for what i would have paid for an olympic or bushmaster. but i got them not because colt wanted me to have them but because a colt distributor decided to sell colt leo only ar's to civilians. i'm so happy colt got shot down and BM came out on top. colt can go to hell as far as i'm concerned because they're too damn PC and while their name stood for something years ago it stand for shit now. BM, FN, and a host of other manufactures continue to offer new and innovative products to the civilian market while colt continues to live in the past.

more and more federal agencies and police departments are turning away from colt and going with companies like BM and rock river for their ar15's. sooner or later military contracts are going to dry up and colt will probably dry along with it.

K.O.A.M.

UZI Talk Supporter
I'm the biggest Colt fan you've ever met, but I won't buy anything made in the last 20 years. I've got a 1974 SP1, and that's the most recent product I have. Why the hell they went away from the classic designs is beyond me. Not to mention the politically correct crap. I hope they get bought out by someone who believes in capitalism, i.e. maximizing the company's profits by selling legal products within the law. Anything else is just bad business.

Jimmy2Times

FFL 07/02, UZI Talk Supporter, , --PBR Mafia--
wellcraft said:
well i own 3 colt ar15 rifles and i like all three and i got two of them for what i would have paid for an olympic or bushmaster. but i got them not because colt wanted me to have them but because a colt distributor decided to sell colt leo only ar's to civilians. i'm so happy colt got shot down and BM came out on top. colt can go to hell as far as i'm concerned because they're too damn PC and while their name stood for something years ago it stand for shit now. BM, FN, and a host of other manufactures continue to offer new and innovative products to the civilian market while colt continues to live in the past.

more and more federal agencies and police departments are turning away from colt and going with companies like BM and rock river for their ar15's. sooner or later military contracts are going to dry up and colt will probably dry along with it.

Finally......

In the vastness of the galaxy of stupidity that is Colt fans/owners, a voice of reason crys through from the emptiness.......

Mike85220

A1 all the way

I have been through a few Colts, and still have the one M-16-A1.

I agree that the older 16s were better. My AR-15 is also in A1 configuration.

The A2 weighs too much for a 223. You mind as well get an HK-91 for the weight.

The gun by design was all about it being light and nimble.

My friend had an M-4 clone that had a heavy barrel and a bunch of rails, optics, laser and a flashlight on it and it wieghed more than my FN-FAL. In the military I doubt they ornament these like that, but it is kind of lame to have an 8lb+ 223 caliber rifle.

GreenMtnTac

UZI Talk Life Member
In honor of this landmark decision I give you M4 Girl...

para_girl5.jpg

MuzzleFlash

UZI Talk Life Member
I was under the impression that Colt's trademark property was signed over to the State of Connecticut. Does that mean that CT lost too?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter