buy low, sell high ?

xm15e2s

after thinking long and hard. i caved in and did it. I sold off my pre ban guns. I know its just a gut feeling, but i really feel that the awban will sunset. i got out of the preban market while the getting was good. the down side was just too great to hold them. i just couldnt wait. guns now fetch a good price and i think shortly a $1700 colt could be worth $750. i probably should have waited another 6-8 months. what do you think...stupid or safe?

stymie

FFL/C&R, UZI Talk Life Member,
The AGENDA will never allow the bill to sunset w/o replacing it with something more Draconian. You can expect preban semi-auto assault weapons & pre '86 transferable machineguns to command an unprecedented premium in 2004. The term *sporting* will allow BATFE to make even more unconstitutional, semantic rulings to this effect. If you believe that restrictions will be lifted & return to pre '68 GCA status... you are completely in denial. Wishful thinking!

xm15e2s

who said pre 86 or pre 68. i was talking one specific subject..pre 94. i am a betting man. did some reading, called my house rep, followed current price trends, weighed the up side to the down side and took the sure profit against the possible loss. shifted some funds to full auto.

Last edited:

tommygun2000

I must agree with Stymie

In 46 yrs I've not seen any gun laws become less restrictive.
I've seen more CCW laws ammended or enacted but no laws outright repealed.

I don't think that there will be a drastic change in the AW laws and feel that pre ban guns will hold their value or rise.

I buy guns and haven't sold one since the 70's. Short of a real miracle happening in this country I don't forsee any changes for the better concerning gun enthusiasts.

I say, buy now what you can afford, and sometimes what you can't afford. buy ammo on a continuous basis and rotate it staying in practice with all your guns.

I would only sell my semi prebans to buy an MG, and only if every other means of financing was exhausted.

My .02 on the subject, YMMV.

In ANY CASE, KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY!

Mario_FAMOInc

UZI Talk Supporter, More toys!
XM15E2S...

IMO selling pre-bans to get into C3 is a worthy cause. If I hadn't done it back in 1991 I wouldn't have near what I have today in C3. (19 stamps/14 keepers)

I have sold many guns in my life but the resulting money is only ever spent on other guns of higher value or desirability. I am continually weeding out the "clutter".

Buy low, sell high and don't look back.

Mario

pmf

There is no way on earth that the 1994 AW ban will sunset. The only thing we can hope for is that things don't get worse. And in this era of Homeland Security, that may well happen. I could see bans on importing ammo/bans on surplus ammo and bans on all imported gun parts being a definite possibility.

Like someone up there said -- gun laws never get less restrictive -- so true.

I think what other posters said about putting the money into class 3 would really make sense. The Vector Uzi I bought in May for $2700 is going for almost $1000 more less than a year later. Frankly, pre-bans never made any sense to me. They do everything a post-ban can do at double the price. I just shoot the guns I have, they're not collectables, so for me, a pre-ban is just a waste of money.

JIMBO

First UZI Talk Supporter, ,
stymie-

I wish you would quit mincing words and let us know how you really feel and what your opinion is on this subject.

We live in such a sue happy society that any restrictive gun legislation that has been enacted will remain as such, RESTRICTIVE. Guns, movies, rock music are all the main reasons for our countries health care costs being through the roof. Just ask any politician with a (D) next to his or her name.:nutkick

Renegade

UZI Talk Supporter, , Semper Vigilo
I think you did the wise thing. I did the same. I sold almost all of my pre-ban stuff and bought NFA instead. I have kept my large capacity magazines though.

I really think the AW will go away, they just do not have enough votes to get it to pass. We have already had enough votes to repeal it in the House, and we do not have to do anything. Of course, all it takes is one school shooter to mow down 20 kids and we are screwed.

Of course, the other way for it to get renewed is documented in my Signature.

Last edited:

Clever

If the 94 ban were to sunset tomorrow, there's not enough votes in the House to get a replacement ban passed. I'm not so sure about the Senate. I still think Bush would sign something if it made it to him, despite encouraging noises that Ashcroft has made lately.

The only problem is that there's still 17 months before the ban sunsets, and the political situation could change a lot by then. I've written my Senators and Representative, have you?

Despite my optimism, I'm still buying pre-ban magazines and other assorted overpriced stuff now. :D

Renegade

UZI Talk Supporter, , Semper Vigilo
The only bill in front of Congress right now, with regards to the AW is a bill to REPEAL it. We have the votes, we just need gun owners to call their reps and make it happen.

MedCop

The 94 ban WILL sunset! It is written into it that it does sunset. It can not just be renewed, but would have to be completely started over.

The down side of this is that it can easily be replaced by a new bill while the other is still in effect.

We can only get lucky that when and if they do make a new bill it does not become law until after the 94 ban sunsets. Even 1 (one) day would allow you to convert EVERYTHING you have to pre ban config. The good point of this is that they can't make a law retroactive....meaning that they can't make it a law today and say if covers back to a certain date.

With Bush basically supporing the 94 ban I wouldn't hold my breath that a new one doesn't attempt to take its place. However, the first one only passed by a very very small margin.

MedCop

Z06

UZI Talk Life Member
One more whack at this near dead horse...
The even worse AW ban would certainly lump the pre-bans into NFA weapons, hell the antis have wanted handguns as NFAs:eek! The price of prebans would plummet if they ever became NFAs, I found out the hard way with a USAS-12! For now, anyway, MGs are THE way to go. Money well spent. JMHO -Z06:uzi

jt325i

Nothing wrong with pre-bans, just stick to pre-89 foreign stuff that was banned under the importation laws. Even if the AWB is lifted, that stuff can't be brought it & will maintain it's value. Even if the company produced it domestically, the "real deal" will always go for more money. Stuff like AR's I'd definitely recommend dumping pre-bans, especially if you have half a dozen of them. There is about an 80% likelyhood the ban will sunset & not be replaced. It starts in the House & that is where it is most likely to fail.

JIMBO

MedCop-

I just wanted to take a minute to welcome you to the forum. I hope you find UZITalk as informative and helpful as I have. One of the great strengths of the site is the amount of personal experience and knowledge we all have to share with one another. This is a huge source of facts, information and statistics that will benefit any and every UZI enthusiast. Once again welcome:welcome to UZITalk.:thumbs_up :D :cool

MedCop

Thanks for the welcome!

I am very new when it comes to the Uzi. From what I see this is a really great place for information and hanging out.

You are all also welcome over on Gun-Talk. It is a general firearms board and does not focus on just one firearm.

Thanks
MedCop

JIMBO

MedCop-

Thanks for the welcome too. I have visited Gun-Talk many times but am spread fairly thin as is between UZITalk, SIGforum and 1911 forum. Have met nice folks such as yourself at all places. There are a lot of nice people involved in the sport/hobby/defense of firearms.

xm15e2s

here we go..... ABC news broadcasted today no less than 3 times that; quote "the 1994 assualt weapons ban is certain not to be renewed" . Source: ABC news radio 6:00, 7:00cst today.
Sure, I'm no idiot and I know that this doesn't make it so. But if you are a money minded person such as my self, please consider this advise. If you are holding a US preban firearm, find some sucker on a online gunsite and sell it. I would hold any imported prebans a little longer. Yes, this is just IMHO. I believe the writing is on the wall. Slow down while you walk lifes path and read it.

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Politics/ap20030514_1317.html

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter