buying a full aoto w/ C&R

grady

maybe you guys can help me understand what i need to do to purchase a S&W 76(c&r eligable) with my c&r license? do i need to fill out a form 4 and have CLEO sighn it also? or just send copy of my c&r and the money?
thanks
please excuse, im learning as i go.

Stoverarms

FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Grady, the only thing you get with C&R is that you can have C&R items shipped direct to you...this includes Class 3 C&R. You will still need to fill out paperwork just like an individual and pay $200 tax.

dustindu4

UZI Talk Life Member
I thought you don't have to wait for the Form 4 to complete before you can get your grubby hands on it? The form 3 is transfered to you? I forget. I've got my C&R on the way and I should already know this.

stymie

FFL/C&R, UZI Talk Life Member,
grady...... You will need the following: Form #4 submitted in duplicate (goes to Chicago) with CLEO signature. You have to attach two passport style 2"x2" recent photos (use tape). Two FD-258 (DCATF100 routing stamped Firearms & Explosives Div.) FBI fingerprint cards (black ink preferred). $200 for the transfer tax (personal check is the best). One NEW "Certification of Citizenship" form. A signed copy of your *current* 03 C&R license (optional... but helps). I would recommend that you send it USPS overnight to ASSURE delivery (stuff gets lost, ya know!). The *package* will go to Illinois & eventually wind up with an examiner in D.C.. The process usually takes about 90 days to get approval.
In the meantime.... you MUST watch "The Omega Man" & "Black Sunday" ad nauseum... lol
Good Luck & welcome to the forum!

grady

thanks stymie.
well damn so in essence there is no difference in me buying a vector. what the hell good does the C&R license do for FA purchases.
i re-read your post so i take it the benefit is i can have it shipped directly to my door when i get the tax stamp or will the transferor dealer get it? oh heck i dont see why all this stuff is necessary when i have already been investigated for a carry permit and C&R license and other things!!!!!! simply assinine makes you wanna say the heck with it

stymie

dustindu4... The Form #3 is used to transfer an NFA weapon dealer to dealer tax exempt. If you don't have a SOT... you will receive your weapon from your local dealer/(in state or out... if C&R elligible) C&R licensee on a taxed Form #4.
You MUST wait until the form is approved & received by your seller before you can take delivery of the weapon.

MedCop

The only thing the C&R does for you is allow the C&R firearm sent directly to your house. (this counts for MG also)

stymie

grady... the beauty of the C&R license is that it eliminates the middleman... you can receive your weapon directly from the source... even if he is out of state.
What you can have & what you can't is usually determined by STATE law. In Missouri... with a C&R license, I can purchase NON C&R NFA pre-'86 "transferables".... such as a Vector UZI or an SWD M11/9 smg ....but I have to go through an in-state class 3 dealer. I purchased an Armalite AR-18 (C&R) Costa-Mesa... original non-conversion, directly from an out-of-state collector.
This experience will certainly teach you the true meaning of the word: PATIENCE. Carefully check your forms like you were doing your taxes... because in a way... that's exactly what you're doing! If you screw up ANY detail... it will only lead to unnecessary grief & delays.

stymie

Some dealers/mfrs like Brownell's & Armalite etc. will also discount certain parts/ accessories *wholesale* with a signed copy of your C&R FFL. Other outfits like Bushmaster/Quality Parts will require a COPY of your Form #4 before they will even think about selling you NFA components (CYA).

stymie

grady... the 1st time that you process an application, you might feel somewhat intimidated. That will soon pass... especially when you are rewarded with a nice controlled burst from a quality weapon. The other nice thing about a C&R license is that it allows you to actually COLLECT... a hobby that is SERIOUSLY frowned on by the BATFE with regard to holders of SOTs (dealers) as it is considered *tax evasion*.
I envy you ...in that your State allows CCW...! Perhaps, this time around we will get lucky here... unless it is vetoed as "promised" by Gov. Holden. Special people (politicians) get Special priviledges... such as bodyguards & such; honest, tax paying peons such as myself must resort to the use of harsh language or a recording from 911 when deadly force is used against us outside of our homes. Choosing to carry regardless of the absurdity of the law can result in a Class-D felony... with the loss of ALL firearms rights! Nothing quite like a double standard in the caste system!
Kinda makes ya wonder.... what part of.... "shall not be infringed" ....they just don't get.

MedCop

stymie said:
grady... the beauty of the C&R license is that it eliminates the middleman... you can receive your weapon directly from the source... even if he is out of state.
What you can have & what you can't is usually determined by STATE law. In Missouri... with a C&R license, I can purchase NON C&R NFA pre-'86 "transferables".... such as a Vector UZI or an SWD M11/9 smg ....but I have to go through an in-state class 3 dealer. I purchased an Armalite AR-18 (C&R) Costa-Mesa... original non-conversion, directly from an out-of-state collector.
This experience will certainly teach you the true meaning of the word: PATIENCE. Carefully check your forms like you were doing your taxes... because in a way... that's exactly what you're doing! If you screw up ANY detail... it will only lead to unnecessary grief & delays.

In Missouri you can purchase private party to private party if both the buyer and seller of the MG live in state and the MG is registered in Missouri. You do this on a Form 4 and when the seller gets the approved Form 4 back you simply go pick it up in person.

(BTW...I have just moved from Central Missouri to Florida. I have lived in Missouri all my life growing up in the NE part of the state. What part are you from?)

MedCop

stymie

MedCop... I'm close to Independence.... just a short drive to the Lake City Range. Unfortunately, full-auto use is no longer even a remote possibilty for civies!
Can't get *rusty* w/ the other more conventional hardware... can we? David Wyatt runs a tight ship there & takes absolutely NO B.S. ... safety is the highest priority at the Conservation Range.

pmf

Hey Medcop -- I grew up in Columbia. Can't say I miss Missouri all that much though. I don't know how many times I've told guys that I grew up in Missouri only to get a horrified look and hear "I did basic training there at Fort Leonard Wood. In August".

As far as a C&R goes -- everyone should get one. It costs $30 and is good for 3 years. Takes 6 weeks maximum to get. It allows you to buy C&R guns directly from dealers. Since most FFLs charge $20-$30 for a transfer, it pays for itself the first time you use it. I've bought a couple of Yugo SKS rifles, two Cz-52 and one TT33 pistols with mine so far.

jt325i

The bad news - a C&R FA weapon is usually going to be INSANELY expensive. :(

stymie

"The bad news - a C&R FA weapon is usually going to be INSANELY expensive."

True... but remember Catch 22... if you are an *adjudicated mental defective" ...hence insane... you have just disqualified yourself from purchase!

compuvette

UZI Talk Supporter
pmf said:
Hey Medcop -- I grew up in Columbia. Can't say I miss Missouri all that much though. I don't know how many times I've told guys that I grew up in Missouri only to get a horrified look and hear "I did basic training there at Fort Leonard Wood. In August".

Yea! My dad did basic at Fort Leonard Wood. He didn't have nice things to say about it!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter