Can a fake suppressor be converted into a real one?

dylan

I was wondering if it is possible to convet a fake can/suppressor into a real working suppressor. If so, is it legal?

:uzi

BlackBelt

UZI Talk Life Member
This is the standard disclaimer: File the forms, pay the tax, and when you get your completed forms back from BATFE, then and only then should you even start to make your suppressor.

To answer your question--I've personally never seen a fake suppressor that would be a candidate for turning into a functional suppressor. The vast majority are made of heavy steel, and/or are welded up so that there's no practical way to do anything with them other than what they were designed to do...which is to look like a suppressor but not function as a suppressor.
And if you had the skills to convert a fake into a functional can, you would be better served by legally making one from scratch that would be a better fit weight and sound reduction-wise, and leave the fakes to being fakes.

MacMan

Can it be done....Yes. Is it legal....Yes w/prior ATF NFA form approval. Is it worth it...NO! It's much easier to start from scratch with an aluminum tube and build from there.
Must be an echo in here!

mac_hobby

I consider my fake suppressor simply a great hand grip and extra weight to stop muzzle jump and recoil.....I would not want the hassle of class 3 and the expense of overpriced simple metal parts to waste ammo and cut down the fun

:cool

Nwcid

mac_hobby said:
I would not want the hassle of class 3 and the expense of overpriced simple metal parts to waste ammo and cut down the fun

:cool

What hassles are those? I own several and have had no hassles.........

Well if you think they are over priced then build you own legally. It will cost only as much as the parts and your time.

Not sure how it wastes any more ammo then a fake can.

How does it cut down the fun? Obviously you have not shot any. All of mine have increased my fun and the the fun of others shooting them.

LawBob

Hassle? I almost don't like to shoot without one.

I hate earphones now. Sucks.

medphys

UZI Talk Life Member
mac_hobby said:
...I would not want the hassle of class 3 and the expense of overpriced simple metal parts to waste ammo and cut down the fun

I used to think that. I now own a suppressor that is as quiet as any other I've heard. No real hassle other than the CLEO sign-off. I have about $375 total invested (including tax stamp). IMHO, a suppressor completes the package. If you look hard enough or long enough, you'll find deals.

Or, if you really enjoy messing around in the garage, just make one.

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/

piratesover40

UZI Talk Life Member
I own 3 suppressors and there is no hassle. I don't where ear plugs any more and it's a blast to only hear the bullet hit the target. And I shoot the same amount of ammo as when I didn't own one can.

jestertoo

If I was going to make a F1 suppressor, I could take a fake suppressor and use it to make the end pieces for a real suppressor. Use a lightweight tube and baffles. This would save you a bit of work.

You could also hollow it out and build a new exit cap, and build some baffles. This would weigh a ton tho.

Shattered

Huh. The fake suppressor I had was a SOLID bar of aluminum stock that was turned and knurled in appropriate places and looked the part. I added a front pistol grip to the slab of AL and it all made for a 9mm Mac-10 which gave no noticeable recoil. Bastage was outright heavy!

Nwcid

Shattered said:
Huh. The fake suppressor I had was a SOLID bar of aluminum stock that was turned and knurled in appropriate places and looked the part. I added a front pistol grip to the slab of AL and it all made for a 9mm Mac-10 which gave no noticeable recoil. Bastage was outright heavy!

There are different ones. Mine is a tube inside of a tube with end caps holding it together.

If I am reading you right you added a VFG to the fake can. If you are using this on a pistol then you have created an AOW. If it it not registered then it is a NFA violation.

Shattered

Nwcid said:
If I am reading you right you added a VFG to the fake can. If you are using this on a pistol then you have created an AOW. If it it not registered then it is a NFA violation.

Exactly.

STEVESKI

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...y&utm_campaign=itwine&utm_content=100-023-875
This is a fake can worth converting... note the legal short barrel length as primary justification!
BuzGuy

This is a cool product and I wish they made it for other guns but it is not a fake can. It's a barrel shroud permanently attached to allow a can to fit underneath and be of normal rifle length. It's no different than a hand guard on an AR but it's permanently attached so it counts towards barrel length.

Also this thread is really old. And like everyone has said, making a can is illegal without the paperwork.

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
Permanently attached tube just to save an SBR stamp is a silencer that's a trade-off from the start.

Added that its a rimfire can/tube fused to the barrel it's got a fractional lifespan shorter than the barrel rifling.

PDXsparky

UZI Talk Supporter

slimshady

Permanently attached tube just to save an SBR stamp is a silencer that's a trade-off from the start.

Added that its a rimfire can/tube fused to the barrel it's got a fractional lifespan shorter than the barrel rifling.

The bbl doesn't have a permanently attached suppressor, it has a short threaded bbl with a large diameter tube permanently attached to make it legal length. The removable suppressor threads onto the bbl threads down inside the tube, fitting inside the outer tube. Makes the OAL short without needing a second stamp for the SBR while still allowing a removable suppressor.

As for converting a fake, I have seen two types. Solid metal that is only one step above starting out making your own tube from bar stock, and the old MAC style ones that were a simple threaded tube with an outer tube secured with a welded washer at each end. Nothing there to convert to a modern suppressor design. Much easier to start with a Maglite or other similar threaded tube if you don't want to use plain tubing.

There was a third type seen on the early GSG MP5SD .22 copies: Hollow outer tube with ends designed to attach and fit over the thin bbl. ATF ruled it a suppressor as all one would have to do is vent the bbl and you would have a crude, inefficient suppressor. Recalled by the manufacturer.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
Can it be done?
With enough time and money, anything can be done.
However, as stated above, it's inefficient when compared to the price and availability of parts to make a Form 1 can.
Sell the fake and use the proceeds as "Seed Money" for your home build (or a factory build), or part of the Stamp money.

Just my opinion. No money back guarantee.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter