Collapsing stocks

DINK

A young shooter I know had an incident at our local club where the stock on his M10/9 decided to fold up while he was shooting. This caused some holes to appear in the overhang at the range but thankfully nobody was hurt and the holes are not the first ones to appear there.

This reminded me of the time the stock on my M10/45 decided to collapse while I was shooting it, causing rather severe pain to my nose. I am wondering how common this is with the MAC factory stock and what can be done about it without replacing the stock altogether. Is there a source for stronger latch springs or some other modification?

boomer535

I hate the folding Stock on my PS M10/45. I replaced it with a fixed Wood Stock from MAC a long time ago. I like the folding Stock on my M11/9 better, but replaced it with a fixed Wood stock from SWD as well.

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
There was a fix I read HERE some time ago. I use it on my M11/380. I'm not sure how long it will last but a permanent fixed-stock solution is sold by Lage MFG, Practical Solutions, USMachinegun and others.

Quake Guy

Even Lage's slider seems 10x stronger than the factory stock. I like it because it seems true with the original spirit of the gun keeping it very compact yet simple.

Southern Raider

My Powder Springs M10/45 stock collapsed on me while shooting. It broke my shooting glasses in half and left a mark above my right eye. Glad I was wearing the glasses as the rear sight came into my eye socket area.

All my MACs now wear Practical Solutions folding Uzi style stocks. Life is too short to deal with this stuff.

DINK

OK, just to clarify- I'm not talking about the shoulder thingie folding up, I'm talking about the two long rods zipping into the receiver on an unscheduled basis, allowing your face and the rear of the receiver to come into intimate and uncomfortable contact. The tutorial mentioned above does not deal with this. (But thanks anyway.)

I'm getting the impression that the most commonly-used solution is to throw the original stock in the parts bin and use something else.

timkel

OK, just to clarify- I'm not talking about the shoulder thingie folding up, I'm talking about the two long rods zipping into the receiver on an unscheduled basis, allowing your face and the rear of the receiver to come into intimate and uncomfortable contact. The tutorial mentioned above does not deal with this. (But thanks anyway.)

I'm getting the impression that the most commonly-used solution is to throw the original stock in the parts bin and use something else.

This has an easy fix. Just install a stiffer or longer spring in the stock slider latch.

SecondAmend

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that the first several iterations of the companies that manufactured the Ingram pattern submachine guns all went bankrupt? Collapsing stocks.

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
Am I the only one who finds it ironic that the first several iterations of the companies that manufactured the Ingram pattern submachine guns all went bankrupt? Collapsing stocks.

The 1st was the export ban of 1976
The 2nd/3rd was reorganization
The 4th was divorce.

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
OK, just to clarify- I'm not talking about the shoulder thingie folding up, I'm talking about the two long rods zipping into the receiver on an unscheduled basis
Check if the notches on the rods are rounded at the edges. If not, install a new locking t-block and spring. Should be problem solved. If you just add a coil spring to the shoulder mechanism that adds sizable insurance. I've done that with mine.

Personally I love the look of the factory stock on the MAC10/11 and M11/9. The overall sillouette with the stock style upper is almost as iconic as a Thompson. The current aftermarket stocks don't do anything for me visually.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter