Custom foam case builder review.

Dogtired

I saw an ad recently about a company that makes custom foam inserts and matching cases. I thought I could investigate this outfit before dropping a lot of coin. I have a Boyt case that I bought for my M11a1-Max11a1 combo and cut the foam myself for it.
DSC_0001_zps643ad708.jpg

It was a cool little unit in there but alas I bought a Max31A1 and my love affair with the Max waned. I stumbled across an outfit called Mycasebuilder.com advertising custom foam and cases. They will also cut to your special dimensions. I thought this might be a good service for those of us that want to turn a Sawsall tool box into a MG case.

In playing with their design program I used some of their pre designed templates to cut into the foam. I used two G34's and 2 1911's and moved them around to fit in the foam. The cost for the custom fit was $45.
9CC1538F-632C-42F6-9C16-34924145E91C_zpsgtlyy9xc.jpg

The foam was layered to my depth I specified, I think I could have been more creative in fitting.
4A4797AF-449C-4657-929B-F3D4DEADF352_zps8luoy0nu.jpg

Trying to fit the guns in:
79845825-8934-42D3-A988-CA827BF4366C_zps9t6hi1fo.jpg

In trying it out I learned a few lessons: some minor trimming may be required, don't pack them too tight and allow for magwells. The G34 with no magwell fit like a glove (3rd down) the 1911 below will easily fit with a trimming. The top 1911 magwell will touch the Glock if trimmed, while the other G34 will be easily trimmed to fit without crowding anything. The 1/2 to 1" between guns is too thin, allow yourself more room. The sliver between the glock slides separated from the lower foam when I first fit everything.

This case was not in their regular production line, so I measured the foam, placed the generic gun outlines. They have a function to paste a photo of your gun and then outline it with their program. You input length and depth measurements.

Overall I think it is a good product and I will definitely buy a case and foam from them in the future. I think the experiment was decent, I should have not tried to fit all of the full size pistols in it. Some quick work with an exacto knife and unscrewing one magwell and TaaDaa...
7D8169BE-BE3F-4F5E-8A0F-BD398C4A361F_zps8irhusd2.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter